Captain David G. Bacon, a U.S. Coast Guard licensed vessel captain, is available as an expert witness on cases involving; boating accidents, slip & falls, personal injuries, issues of responsibilities and liabilities aboard vessels and on gangways and docks and piers, drowning and vessel sinking. Passenger interaction and education is an area where many liabilities are generated and I can help with those issues.
I have served as a vessel charter captain, 28+ years in industry, specializing in; crew training, safety procedures, crew drills and practice, passenger safety orientation, boating accidents, slip & fall, seaworthiness, marine electronics, navigation and rules of the road, expert writer and public speaker.
During that lengthy career I have had no accident or injury claims because I am a diligent seafaring professional and I know what dangers to look for and remedy before they cause problems.
I drove passenger buses of varying sizes both short range and longer range, for 2 years. During that time my safety record was perfect, with no accidents nor injuries. I hold a Class A California driver's license with all endorsements including hazmat. I successfully completed the curriculum at a trucking school.
As an owner of multiple businesses in both the service and retail industries, I have experience with customer interaction, safety and dangers as well as product and equipment handling misshaps.
Captain David Bacon – brief business bio:
~Owner/operator/Captain of WaveWalker Charters (private boat charters)
~Owner of Hook, Line & Sinker fishing center in Santa Barbara
~Owner of Guns of Santa Barbara in Santa Barbara
~Faculty at Santa Barbara City College (teaches ocean-related classes)
~Executive Director, SOFTIN, Inc. (NPO serving special needs people)
~Member of the California MPA collaborative
~Member, Board of Directors, Coastal Conservation Association — California
~Member of the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council
~Senior Editor, Pacific Coast Sportfishing magazine
~Staff Writer for Western Outdoor News
~Columnist, Noozhawk on-line news service
~Collaborative marine research/outreach consultant and expert witness
~Seminar speaker for the Fred Hall Fishing Shows (industry trade shows)
~Lecturer for clubs and civic organizations
~Past multi-department Technology Manager for AT&T, Inc.
~Past member of Rec Fisheries Working Group for NOAA's Marine Fisheries
~Past member of NOAA's California Action Team
~Past President, CEO of Sea Cubed, Inc.
~Past marine electronics editor for Sport Fishing magazine
- Accident Investigation
- Accident Reconstruction
- Admiralty & Maritime
- Bus & Truck Safety/Accident
- Failure Analysis
- Personal Injury
- Pools & Spas
- Retail Security
- Retail Store Design & Operations
- Slip, Trip & Fall
- Sports & Recreation
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Rio Hondo Community College, Whittier, Ca: 1969 - 1972
Associate Arts degree in Business Administration with a minor in office supervision.
California Polytechnical University, Pomona, Ca: 1972 – 1974
Coursework in Business Administration and Arts
Santa Barbara Community College, Santa Barbara, Ca:
Adjunct Faculty 2019 to present
Coursework in languages 1986-1987
US Power and Sail Squadrons, Santa Barbara, Ca: 1190 – 1991
Courses in seamanship, marine electrical/electronics, piloting, navigation.
I taught elements of marine electronics usage.
US Coast Guard:
Captains License (Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel - unlimited tonnage).
Transportation Workers Identification Certificate (TWIC)
Graduate of Dootson Trucking School
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Outdoor Writer's Association of America
Outdoor Writer's Association of California
Coastal Conservation Association - California (member, board of directors)
Channel Islands Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council
California MPA (Marine protected Area) Collaborative
Recreational Fisheries Working Group - NOAA Fisheries
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Public speaking (approximately 85 engagements) at Fred Hall Show industry trade shows, civic organizations (e.g. Rotary Clubs), special-interest clubs (e.g. fishing clubs), Parks and Recreation Department of Santa Barbara, radio guest appearances on Let’s Talk Hookup, Fish Talk Radio.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 9 completed, 1 current and 1 pending
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Boat/vessel accidents
Slip & fall
Passenger/crew safety on vessels and boat ramps/docks
Loss of professional licenses
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Roughly 50% for plaintiff
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Roughly 50% for defendant
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 6 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Expert witness
Site inspections and analysis
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $175/hour after brief initial consultation
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $175/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $225/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $225/hour
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: $175/hour
Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Law Offices of Seth Weinstein, P.C.
15260 Ventura Blvd., Suite 1200
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
(818) 570-0836 / (510) 852-9296
Jeffrey W. Hansen, Esq.
Chock Barhoum, LLP
121 SW Morrison Street, Suite 415
Portland, OR 97204
Matt Whibley, Esq.
The Vartazarian Law Firm
15250 Ventura Blvd., Suite 505
Sherman Oaks, Ca 91403