Kent's online experience is extensive, dating back to 1984. He was the founder of an e-business service provider, funded by one of the world's largest venture-capital firm; the founder of a publishing company, selling books online in 1997; the VP of Web Solutions for a national ISP, with a team of 60 Web developers; and VP of Marketing for a Web-development company.
Working in computing since 1979 - Software development since 1981 - Cyberspace since 1984 - Internet/Ecommerce since 1993 - SEO since 2000 - PPC since 2003
Since the early 2000s Kent has provided consulting services to hundreds of small, medium, and large companies, including Amazon, Lonely Planet, Zillow, Tower Records, and Avvo, helping them with a variety of online business and marketing issues. Expert's knowledge and experience gained over two decades working on the Internet range from search-engine optimization and Pay Per Click management to Web development, from Web-site "conversions" and usability to Web marketing project management.
In addition, he's a prolific author, having published several best-selling books in the area of Internet business and technology, including the Complete Idiot's Guide to the Internet, Search Engine Optimization for Dummies, Pay Per Click Search Marketing for Dummies, and How to Make Money Online with eBay, Yahoo!, and Google. He also wrote and presented three Lynda.com video courses, on search-engine optimization and selling through the Amazon Marketplace, and is an accomplished public speaker on a wide range of subjects. Speaking engagements have included the subject of Internet marketing for ten years, to organizations such as the National Association of Broadcasters and the Colorado Tourism Conference. Other topics include search-engine marketing and advertising, publishing, and general online-business issues. He has also been a guest speaker on over 100 radio shows.
Kent has provided expert-witness and litigation-support services in over 60 cases, including dozens of patent cases (including Inter Partes Reviews and CBM/Post Grant Challenges, providing both invalidity and non-infringement reports, and testifying in Marshall, TX) and cases related to online trademark issues, online defamation, Pay Per Click advertising, ecommerce-related unfair business practices, Internet fraud, and domain-name issues. He has been deposed almost 20 times and has testified in court on several occasions.
SAMPLE EXPERT WITNESS CASES
Geotag, Inc. v. Frontier Communications Corp., et al. Testifying expert, non-infringement, for 21 retail-company defendants in this online mapping/store-locator patent case.
FTC v. Jeremy Johnson, I Works Inc., et al., provided a report on affiliate marketing for defendant in this Internet fraud case.
Walker Digital v. Expedia. Testifying expert for Expedia, non-infringement, patent case involving ecommerce check-out systems.
Indacon, Inc. v. Facebook, Inc. - Consulting expert, non-infringement, in this software-patent case (for Facebook)
Katherine Dines v. Toys “R” US Delaware, Inc., ecommerce-related trademark infringement case
Coaster Co. of America v. Xiamei. Testifying expert for plaintiff; trademark, passing off, false designation of origin, unfair competition, related to selling products through the Amazon marketplace.
RIPL Corp. vs. Google, Inc., testifying expert for Google in this trademark-infringement case
DDR v. Hotels et al, non-infringement & invalidity reports for five clients in this ecommerce-related patent case.
Ameranth, Inc. v. Intercontinental Hotels Group; Report, testimony for defendant accused of stealing plaintiff’s Web-development intellectual property
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Extensive teaching/speaking experience: lectures, seminars, training courses. More than 50 books on the Internet and Technology. Three video courses with Lynda.com.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 65
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
PPC (Pay Per Click) Advertising
Internet Technology Patents
Technology Contract Disputes
Deceptive Business Practices
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 41%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 59%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 18
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Jan. 2015
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 50 or so
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 4
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 11 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, Testimony, Reports
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $475
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $475
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $475
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $475
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel, other expenses agreed upon with counsel
Recent Attorney References Available on Request