Lt. Sweeney is a 34-year veteran police leader. He regularly assists with police expert witness services in areas such as police pursuits, use of force, less lethal weapons, de-escalation, EEO, early intervention, police supervision, active shooter, rapid intervention, emergency vehicle operations course (EVOC), and legal standards for police.
His mission is to provide expert witness consulting in policing best practices for both plaintiff and defense, in order to advance the professionalism of police officers. His vast experience as a police supervisor and trainer allow him to be the best resource possible for your case.
- 1983 Litigation
- Alcohol, Drug & DUI Testing
- Criminal Law
- Crowd Control
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Law Enforcement
- Police Procedures
- Security Management
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Northwestern School of Police Staffing and Command - Certificate.
University of Washington - B.A., Law Societies and Justice.
Shoreline Community College - A.A. Police Science.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: International Association of Chiefs of Police
National Tactical Officer's Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I train others in Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Performance Reviews for Employees, Early Intervention for Police Officers, Early Intervention for Police Supervisors, Effective Supervision of Police Personnel, Tactical De-Escalation, Care Under Fire, Integrated Tactics and Use of Force, Active Shooter/Rapid-Intervention, Crisis Intervention Training, Post-Academy Training for New Officers, Taser Instructor, CPR Instructor, Emergency Vehicle Operations Course, & Legal Standards for Police.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Eight.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Police pursuits, use of force, police legal standards, firearms, and law enforcement best practices.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 75%.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 25%.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Two.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2019.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 0.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: One.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Four.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, reports, testimony, case review, site inspections.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $300.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $300.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Minimum of 4 hours, $1,400 fee. $350/hr. after the first 4 hours.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Daily rate of $2500 plus expenses. This fee is negotiable, depending on location and services requested.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expense fees to be negotiated.
Dan L. Johnson
520 Pike St. Suite 1300
Seattle, WA 98101
J. Nathan Bingham
KRUTCH LINDELL BINGHAM JONES, PS
3316 Fuhrman Ave. E, Suite 250
Seattle, WA 98102
Mobile: (206) 399-6374
Direct: (206) 892-3121
Evan S. Mortimer
Trial Attorney – Litster Frost Injury Lawyers
3501 W. Elder Street, Ste. 208
Boise, Idaho 83705
Kelsey A. Terry
Betts, Patterson & Mines, P.S.
US Bancorp Tower
111 SW 5th Avenue, Suite 3650
Portland, OR 97204
D 503.961.6332 | F 503.961.6339