I have consulted in matters involving industrial and consumer products, industrial work practices, and premises liability since 1980. I've been retained on several hundred occasions by both Defense and Plaintiff attorneys, Workers Compensation law firms, Claims Investigators, Risk Management personnel and Product Manufacturers.
I am a Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois. Both my Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering and Master of Mechanical Engineering degrees were earned at the Illinois Institute of Technology in 1980 and 1989, respectively.
I have consulted in several hundred personal injury and property loss incidents that have led to deposition testimony as an Expert Witness on approx. 125 occasions and trial testimony approx. 25 to 30 times.
My loss investigation and consulting background includes product safety, consumer and industrial machinery & equipment design analysis, construction safety, premises liability, failure analysis, machine operator safety, maintenance practices, use of personal protective equipment and safety philosophy topics. As a result of over 40 years of personal experience in the commercial/industrial maintenance field, I am uniquely qualified to address issues involving industrial maintenance practices, machine repair techniques, use of hand and power tools and safety device reliance.
I have also been active on ANSI A14 Ladder Safety committees since 1995. I am the current Chairman of the Mobile Ladder Stands and Mobile Ladder Stand Platforms (A14.7) standard in addition to serving as a voting member of the ANSI A14 Executive Committee, serving as a Sub-committee member of the Ladder Accessories (A14.8) standard, the ladder Labeling Task Force and Steering Committee.
- Building Codes
- Construction Safety
- Failure Analysis
- Fitness Equipment
- Hydraulic Engineering
- Lighting & Illumination
- Machine Guarding
- Mechanical Engineering
- Power Tools
- Products Liability
- Ramp & Stairs
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 1980;
Master of Mechanical Engineering, 1989;
Professional Engineer, State of Illinois;
Switalski Engineering Inc. is a Registered Professional Design firm in Illinois
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Chairman, ANSI A14.7: Mobile Ladder Stands and Mobile Ladder Stand Platforms
Voting member of ANSI A14 family of ladder safety standards
Sub-committee member, ANSI A14.8: Ladder Accessories
Member, Ladder Labeling Task Force
Member, ANSI A14 Steering Committee
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Guest speaker on Construction Crane Safety major accident categories including two-blocking, overturning, undecking and overhead powerline contact;
Machine Guarding seminar focusing on machine operator and maintenance personnel safety including Lockout/Tagout, Safeguard reliability and reliance, Maintenance practices;
Guest speaker at Notre Dame University student ASME chapter: The History and Developement of Automated Pinspotting;
Various paper presentations at Amer. Society of Mechanical Engineers meetings including: Rollover Protective Structures for small tractors; Ladder innovations
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Several hundred occasions since 1980.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Mr. Switalski has been retained in a vide variety of matters that involve issues in Mechanical Engineering including:
Industrial Work Practices
Worker qualifications and training
Safety standard and code compliance
Following are examples of the Machinery, Products and Issues involved in consultations as an Expert Witness:
Appliances - household & commercial
Augers: loaders and unloaders
Grain storage bins
Approach Surface maintenance
Lane Cleaning/Conditioning machines
Construction Machinery & Equipment
Cranes: mobile, overhead, tower, truck-mounted
Ladders: commercial and job-made
Overhead Powerline Contact
Steel Wheel Rollers
Balers including bale tying equipment
Refuse compactors: mobile and stationary
Conveyors: apron, belt, bucket, chain, extendable, flight, roller, screw, trolley
Fasteners and Assembly Tools/Methods
Bolts & Nuts
Screws: machine, sheet metal, wood
Ingress & Egress Systems
Doors: revolving, sliding & swinging
Gates: manual and powered
Overhead Garage Doors
Ramps: indoor & outdoor
Stairways including Escalators
Lawn & Garden Equipment
Hoists & Winches
Mobile Work Platforms/ Bucket Lifts
Slings & Rigging
Personnel Protective Equipment - selection, use, training
Tool Use and Selection
Automatic Chucking machines
Die Casting machines
Sheet Metal Processing Lines
Steel Coil Handling/Storage
Mobile Bridge Carriers
Roof Bolting Machines
Soil-sampling Drilling Rigs
Plastic film manufacturing/Wind-Up
Printing Presses: sheet & web fed
Tools: Hand & Power Tools, commercial and consumer
Warnings and Instructions
Manuals: Assembly, Service, User
Warning Signs/Placards: adequacy, placement, assessment of need
Woodworking Machinery - industrial and consumer
Saws: Band, Chop, Circular, Cut-off, Panel, Table
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approx. 15% to 20%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approx. 75% to 80%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approx. 125 times
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: September, 2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Approx. 25 to 30 times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Approx. 30 to 35 times.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 1980 (37 years)
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Incident Scene and/or Product Inspection
Safety Standard & Code Compliance
Customized Destructive and Non-destructive Testing of Exemplar Products
Witness Statement & Testimony Evaluation
Safety Sign & Placard Evaluation
Installation, Assembly & User Manual Evaluation
Product Use & Misuse Evaluation
Industrial Work Practice evaluation
Personal Protective Equipment adequacy
Assessment of Training & Safety Responsibility
Expert Testimony via deposition and trial
Technical Support such as assistance with questioning of opposing technical witnesses
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: There is no charge for the initial attorney contact. Thereafter, $215.00/hr. for all activities other than actual testimony time. Testimony time is billed at $275.00/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $215.00/hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $275.00/hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $275.00/hr
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Out-of-pocket expenses are billed at cost: Air fare, lodging, meals, rental car, taxi, parking, tolls, tools/instrument rental, literature purchases, use of outside laboratories/test facilities, document printing, storage fees.
Mileage charge is based on the current national reimbursement rate.
Air travel delay time is billed at $115.00/hr.
Photos with ID numbers: (4x6) $1.35 each; (5x7) $4.75 each; (8x10) $9.00 each
Photo CD's: $8.50 each CD
Video Recording: $50.00 plus $8.50 each video CD
Photocopying: $0.23/page b&w; $0.38/page color
Printing from e-mail or digital media: $0.25/page b&w; $0.38/page color
Printing (b&w): $0.25/page; Color printing: $0.38/page
Mr. Paul A. McLennon, Jr.
McLennon & McFadden Ltd.
100 N. LaSalle St., Suite 1520
Chicago, IL 60602
Mr. Richard T. Petrillo
Pino & Associates
Westchester Financial Center
50 Main St.
White Plains, NY 10606