William Luk is a software expert and technical executive with more than 20 years of experience in computer and network security. William has developed or led product teams to develop enterprise class firewall, intrusion detection systems, database security, and data security / privacy solutions at Symantec and several startups.
William currently serves as a consultant in Quandary Peak’s Due Diligence team to support technology investments, mergers & acquisitions, and software related litigations. William is skilled in security analysis, software architecture, and code review and assessment.
» Regional Director of Northern California at Quandary Peak Research
» Over 20 years experience in network / computer security / data loss prevention
» Led product teams at Symantec and other security startups
» Security architect at a major financial institution
- Computer Security
- Data Communications
- Information Technology
- Software Engineering
- Trade Secrets
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: M.S and B.S. in Computer Science from University of Southern California.
Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO), Certified Scrum Master (CSM).
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained as an expert in nearly a dozen cases, many of which were patent related.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Patent, Trade secret, Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, Smart-Contracts, Misrepresentation & Non-disclosure.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 80%.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 20%.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: I gave a deposition for a case involving Symantec.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: I qualified to give expert testimony (expert rebuttal report) in a 2022 civil case.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: I perform software consulting and analysis, including:
• Code analysis and review
• Technical documentation analysis and review
• Software development process audit and assessment
• Investigation of software failure
• Software patent analysis
Additionally, I serve as a consultant in technical due diligence to support technology investments, mergers & acquisitions, and software related litigations.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: My hourly rate is generally negotiable. I am happy to discuss my current rate in our first meeting.
"William has a very broad knowledge of the industry, its market participants, their product offerings and their compatibility. He also has deep knowledge of systems and related research, development and support processes. He differentiates himself from a pure “techie” by also having a strong grasp of the strategic “big picture.” He provided valuable strategic input to our business plan, alternative scenario planning, and financial sensitivity analyses, and was instrumental in answering investor questions. He is a team player and I would welcome the opportunity to work with William again."
— Charles Garber, President & CEO at Garber Associates
"William was the primary mover for CoSine's SPF, H.323 and other firewall and packet filtering initiatives for CoSines's product line. All of this was a stunningly difficult feature set to pull off (especially if you know about CoSine's platform) and not only was William one of the most technically astute people I've ever met in this field, he is also easy to work with and a pleasant colleague. I recommend William highly both as a manager and as a team player."
— Richard Grace, Senior Technical Writer