A&I Senior Statistician and President Will Fairley has contributed to successful outcomes in more than 400 engagements. He has published over 45 professional articles, and been accepted as an expert by over 30 courts, boards, arbitrators, or mediators.
- Mathematical Sciences
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Harvard University (1961-1967), Ph.D., Department of Statistics, 1968; M.A., 1965; Woodrow Wilson and National Science Foundation Fellowships.
London School of Economics (1960-1961), Fulbright Fellowship.
Swarthmore College (1957-1960), B.A. with High Honors and Phi Beta Kappa, 1960. Major in Economics, Minors in History and Philosophy.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Dr. Fairley is a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Statistical Association, and the Society for Risk Analysis. Dr. Fairley was a member of the Committee on Professional Ethics, 1995 to 1997 and the Committee on Law and Justice Statistics 2009 to 2011.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Teaching:
Harvard University (1970-1976), Kennedy School of Government, Public Policy Program. Statistics in Public Policy and Law. Taught courses on statistics at the Harvard Law School (with Michael Finkelstein, Frederick Mosteller, and Lloyd Weinreb).
New York University (1990-91), Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Statistics and Operations Research, Visiting Professor of Statistics and Operations Research. Subjects: statistics and quality control/management.
Swarthmore College (1990), Department of Mathematics. Visiting Professor. Subject: Mathematical statistics
Temple University (1987-89), Department of Statistics. Adjunct Lecturer. Subject: Statistics
University of Karachi (Spring 1976) Visiting Professor, and consultant, Applied Economics Research Center, Ford Foundation and Government of Pakistan. Subject: statistics of sampling
New York University (1969-1970), Graduate School of Business. Graduate teaching and research in statistics. Organized and chaired Conference on Quantitative Analysis in Urban Affairs, May 1970; Member of the Committee on Urban Problems.
Please see link below to CV
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 400+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Statistics primarily. Also Economics and Finance.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Half.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Half
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 20+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: May 25, 2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 27+
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 27+
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 40
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: - Consult on how data and analysis can be used to address fact issues
- Analyze data using appropriate statistical techniques
- Critique other experts
- Write reports and present testimony as requested
- Assist in framing requests for and responses to discovery
- Brief lawyers on statistical questions
- Collect data via random sampling, designed experiments, surveys
- Create and manage databases
- Assist in depositions, negotiations, hearings, trials, and appeals
- Create charts for hearings
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: Same.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Same.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Same.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Out of pocket expenses such as travel, FedEx, charts.