Mr. Bernstein is a Yale-trained and registered architect, LEED accredited, with over 35 years of experience in the industry. He is the Founder/President of an architecture firm (Bernstein & Associates, Architects, 1990-present) and a project management firm (Empire Projects, Inc., 2003-present). Mr. Bernstein offers multi-faceted expertise in the areas of architecture, design and construction. He is a member of the American Institute of Architect, Construction Specifications Institute, and Project Management Institute. He is the author of two books on architecture and has written or had written above him over 50 articles on architecture and construction. He has provided expert witness services on (21) cases, and is an intelligent, articulate, and well-spoken professional. His expert witness experience covers a wide range of project types and cases, including architecture, design, construction, premises liability, healthcare design, healthcare architecture, healthcare construction, hospital design, hospital architecture, hospital construction, laboratory design, laboratory architecture, laboratory construction, pharmacy design, pharmacy construction, residential construction, coop construction, condo construction, and apartment construction.
- Architect Liability
- Building Codes
- Building Contractor Liability
- Construction Damages
- Construction Safety
- Hospital Design
- Interior Design
- Scheduling Delay & Analysis
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor of Architecture (University of Toronto, 1980)
Master of Architecture (Yale University, 1985)
National Council of Architectural Licensing Board
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Institute of Architects
Construction Specifications Institute
Project Management Institute
US Green Business Council
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Taught architectural design and architectural history: Yale University, Columbia University, Lehigh University
Panelist on Webinars: Construction Management Association of America
Presentation: The American Society for Health Care Engineering
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 21
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Architecture
Slip Trip & Fall
Coop or Condo Construction
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: app. 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: app. 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 4
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2010
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 2
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 4
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 16
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $350
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $350
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Typical reimbursable expenses: travel, copying, printing, messenger, FedEx, UPS
Available Upon Request