Mr. Bernstein is a Yale-trained and registered architect, LEED accredited, with over 35 years of experience in the industry. He is the Founder/President of an architecture firm (Bernstein & Associates, Architects, www.bernarch.com, 1990-present) and a project management firm (Empire Projects, Inc., www.empireprojects.com, 2003-present). Mr. Bernstein offers multi-faceted expertise in the areas of architecture, design and construction. He is a member of the American Institute of Architect, Construction Specifications Institute, and Project Management Institute. He is the author of two books on architecture and has written or had written above him over 50 articles on architecture and construction. He has provided expert witness services on (21) cases, and is an intelligent, articulate, and well-spoken professional. His expert witness experience covers a wide range of project types and cases, including: architecture, architect, architects’ liability, architects standard of care, architectural design, behavioral healthcare, behavioral healthcare architecture, behavioral healthcare construction, behavioral healthcare design, building change orders, building codes, building construction, building design, buildings, CM, CM contracts, construction management, construction management contracts, building design, change orders, condos, condo architecture, condo construction, condo design, construction, construction change orders, construction delays, construction scheduling, contractors liability, coops, coop architecture, coop construction, coop design, demolition, doctors’ offices, doctors office architecture, doctors office construction, doctors office design, design change orders, engineering, engineering standard of care, errors and omissions, general contractor, general contractor contract, GMP, GMP contract, and handicapped accessibility, Projects types include: apartment design, apartment architecture, apartment construction, bank design, bank architecture, bank construction, condo design, condo architecture, condo construction, coop design, coop architecture, coop construction, doctors office design, doctors office architecture, doctors office construction, healthcare design, healthcare architecture, healthcare construction, hospital design, hospital architecture, hotel construction, hotel design, hotel architecture, apartment construction, laboratory design, laboratory architecture, laboratory construction, medical office design, medical office architecture, medical office construction, residential design, residential architecture, residential construction, restaurant design, restaurant architecture, restaurant construction, retail design, retail architecture, retail construction, townhouse design, townhouse architecture, and townhouse construction.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Architect Liability
- Building Codes
- Building Contractor Liability
- Construction Damages
- Hospital Design
- Interior Design
- Premises Liability
- Scheduling Delay & Analysis
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Master of Architecture (Yale University, 1985)
Bachelor of Architecture (University of Toronto, 1980)
National Council of Architectural Licensing Board
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Institute of Architects
Construction Specifications Institute
Project Management Institute
US Green Business Council
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Taught architectural design and architectural history: Yale University, Columbia University, Lehigh University
Panelist on Webinars: Construction Management Association of America
Presentation: The American Society for Health Care Engineering
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 21
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Architecture
Slip Trip & Fall
Coop or Condo Construction
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: app. 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: app. 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 5
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2022
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 5
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 5
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 12
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $350
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $350
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Typical reimbursable expenses: travel, copying, printing, messenger, FedEx, UPS
Available Upon Request