Thomas J. Maronick, DBA, JD, is a federal and state court-qualified expert in consumer behavior, marketing, advertising, and Lanham Act matters. Also an expert in survey research, including on-line survey methods. Conducted over 700 consumer surveys related to advertising, marketing practices, trademark and trade dress issues for plaintiff and defendant clients on subjects as diverse as advertising claims, packaging, telecommunications, insurance/annuities, software marketing,internet domain names, trademark and trade dress. Former in-house marketing expert for the Bureau of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission.
Dr. Maronick has a DBA in Marketing from the University of Kentucky and a JD from the University of Baltimore School of Law. He is an inactive member of the Maryland Bar. He is an Emeritus Professor of Marketing at Towson University in Baltimore where he has taught and published in the areas of marketing research, marketing strategy, and public policy for over thirty years. He has also served on a peer-reviewer for the Journal of Consumer Affairs, the Journal of Advertising Research, Journal of Marketing and Public Policy, International Marketing Review and others, as well as for professional associations of which he is a member. His publications include articles on research in litigation, environmental claims in advertising, consumer perceptions of country of origin claims, and the use of on-line surveys in advertising and trademark litigation.
For more information see www.adexpert.net.
- Public Opinion & Survey Research
- Trade Secrets
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: BA- Philisophy
St. Thomas Seminary, Kenmore, WA
MSBA - Marketing
University of Denver
DBA - Marketing
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
JD - University of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
Maryland Bar (1980)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Marketing Association
Association for Consumer Research
Decision Sciences Institute
Academy of Marketing Science
Global Business and Technology Association
Public Policy and Marketng Association
Maryland Bar Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Teaching: Marketing Research
Marketing & Policy Seminar (grad)
Marketing Communication Strategy (grad)
Head, Office of Impact Evaluaiton
Bureau of Consumer Protection
Federal Trade Commission
Washington, DC (1980-1997)
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: Never. My degrees can be verified by contacting the universities I have attended.
My FTC experience can be verified by contacting the Bureau of Consumer Protection at the FTC.
My teaching experience can be verifed by contacting the universities.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: In-house marketing expert for Bureau of Consumer Protection at the FTC for 16+ years
Retained as expert over 150 times since leaving FTC
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Marketing, Advertising, Retailing, Pricing, Marketing of Insurance & Investments, Software Marketing, Travel Promotion, Telecommunications, Internet Marketing, Direct Marketing, Dietary Supplements, Senior Citizens,Trademarks/Tradedress
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 65%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 35%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: over 70 in past six years
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: July, 2017; I have been deposed 12 times in the past two years.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: I have been qualified as an expert in court on 10 occassions. My declarations have been accepted by the Court in all instances where submitted.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Seven-eight
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Forty, including 16+ years as the FTC's in-house marketing expert and 25 years since leaving the Commission in 1997.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, survey research, analysis of advertising and advertising research, reports, testimony (deposition, trial, arbitration).
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Contact me to discuss rates.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: Contact me to discuss rates.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: My rate for testimony is the same as for consulting (after being retained) and for review of documents.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: My rate is the same for any testimony (deposition, trial, hearing).
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses at 1/2 of consulting/testimony rate. Expenses are as incurred.
Blood Hurst & O'Reardon
San Diego, CA