Susan Maccoy is an actively practicing award-winning hair artist, image consultant, and educator to the beauty salon industry. She is an expert witness and consultant for litigation and other legal matters. As a master hair colorist, she played a leading role in the development of hi-lighting techniques done with foils and has trained practitioners internationally in those procedures. As a cosmetologist for over 45 years, she served her client base at her Water Tower Place salon on Chicago’s Michigan Avenue. Currently, she is a consultant at Brazen Salon in Greenacres, Florida. As a consultant she has been engaged by salon product manufacturers for product development, hair color formulation, hair color marketing, salon product, and service marketing, as well as professional hair color and style education. She is also the creator and developer of the ProWorks hair care products and ReikiRocks Spa Products.
The spectrum of her knowledge and experience encompasses salon and spa products, service standards, protocols, processes, and procedures, as well as service techniques and salon/spa technologies. These include: cosmetology standards of care and practice, state cosmetology regulations, salon sanitation, salon safety, hair cutting and styling, hair bleaching, hair lightening, foil hi-lighting, dimensional hair color/party colors, hair coloring, corrective hair coloring, hair dyeing, permanent waving, hair straightening, relaxing, keratin treatments and hair smoothing treatments, manicuring and pedicuring, facials, hair removal (waxing and depilatory treatments). Milady certified infection controls and Certified Covid 19 for Salons and Spas.
Maccoy’s participation in legal matters spans 35 years and includes personal injury, product liability, professional liability, and investigative reports.
To date, (2017 averaged) she has been retained by the defendant in approximately 30% of her engagements and by the plaintiff 70%. In 2011 her investigative work and expert opinions were instrumental in obtaining dismissals with prejudice in two actions, one in civil court and one federal.
Salon Phone and Fax: 312-635-5116
Direct Voice: 312-771-8086
ZOOM Video Conferencing Available
- Accident Reconstruction
- Burn Injury
- Consumer Products
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: MCFLC Master Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant
CFLC Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: FEWA Forensic Expert Witness Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Clairol
Chicago Hairdressers Assc.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: NO
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 50+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Cosmetology: Salon and Spa
Hair coloring and Bleaching: burns
Facials - skin care
Natural Hair Styling
State rules and regulations
Standard of care
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 70% 2021average
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 30% 2021 average
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 25+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2021
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 25 +
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 2
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 35
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Investigative analysis and reports
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $400
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel and investigative Expenses
Expenses approved by council
References provided on request.