Dr. Francis is a Forensic Neuropsychologist based in California who conducts med-legal examinations and renders expert witness testimony nationwide. He has performed over 300 evaluations in legal jurisdictions and over 1000 psychological evaluations for spine surgeries, implantable technologies, and difficult to treat chronic pain patients. In addition to IMEs for civil cases, Dr. Francis conducts evaluations associated with workplace injuries, fitness for duty and disability insurance.
Dr. Francis is skilled in evaluating unexplained medical symptoms, and neuropsychological evaluations for concussions, dementia, MTBI (Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries,) heavy metal and pesticide exposure, and neurodegenerative conditions and has provided expert opinions regarding brain damage from a variety of personal and industrial injuries.
Dr. Francis is the former Chief of Neuropsychology at Kentfield Rehabilitation Hospital, a former President of the Biofeedback Society of CA, and a previous Clinical Instructor in the Department of Diagnostic Sciences at the University of the Pacific School of Dentistry. He continues to maintain a clinical private practice devoted to pain disorders, post-concussive syndromes, somatic symptom disorders and degenerative brain disorders.
Dr. Francis has also provided consultation on curriculum development and business practices to multidisciplinary pain programs.
His recent lectures include The Neuropsychological Effects of Heavy Metal and Pesticide Exposure; The Use of Symptom and Performance Validity Tests in Forensic Neuropsychological Evaluations; and Estimating Pre-morbid Functioning.
Dr. Francis holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, and completed a two-year post-doctoral training in Neuropsychology from the Fielding Graduate University. In addition, he completed a post-doctoral fellowship in Neuropsychology at Laguna Honda Hospital. Dr. Francis is in the application process for board certification in Neuropsychology from the American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP.)
Areas of Expertise
- Brain Injury
- Lead Poisoning
- Occupational/Environmental Health
- Pain Management
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, California Institute of Integral Studies
Post-Doctoral Certificate in Neuropsychology, Fielding Graduate University.
Post-doctoral fellowship in Neuropsychology, Laguna Honda Hospital.
MS Psychology, University of the Pacific
BA Psychology, University of Oregon
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Psychological Association (both Rehabilitation Psychology and Neuropsychology),
National Academy of Neuropsychology
Northern California Association of Pain Psychologists
Northern California Neuropsychology Forum
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Extensive, please see CV.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Extensive. Please call for more information.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Extensive, please call for more information.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 40%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Please call for more information. Dr. Francis has testified more than 30 times and retained as an expert in significantly more cases.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 30+
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 20
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting
Psychometric (neuropsychological) testing
Independent Medical Examination
Review of records
Reports of findings and opinions
Consultation to attorneys
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Please call for information.
Available Upon Request