Nationwide. FREE AIR FARE (restrictions apply). Unused retainers are refunded (above case min.)! Mr. Burton is an ex-manufacturer experienced in testimony, manufacturing, design, planning, installation, safety inspections and safety audits, warnings, safety courses & manuals. Certified Playground Safety Inspector. S.A.F.E. Certified by the National Program for Playground Safety. He was awarded the National Playground Safety Advocate of the Year Award in 2008. He created playground Safety Signs / Labels and inspection tool kits. Mr. Burton is an instructor for safety courses and an expert in playground, sports, and recreation design and accidents regarding playgrounds, soccer, trampolines, baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball, exercise trails, recreation, etc. Investigation of warnings, supervision, hazards, layout, design, surfacing, ADA compliance and inspections & audits for parks, schools, resorts, child care centers, hotels, restaurants, manufacturers, museums, zoos, insurance companies, etc. Mr. Burton is a VOTING and ATTENDING member (since 1988) of the ASTM committees creating national safety Standards, and assists in writing the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Guidelines.
Areas of Expertise
- Accident Investigation
- Child Safety
- Consumer Products
- Education & Schools
- Labels & Warnings
- Personal Injury
- Playground Safety
- Products Liability
- School Safety
- Sports & Recreation
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified Playground Safety Inspector; S.A.F.E. Certified;
A.A. degree (business) from USF.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Member of all ASTM subcommittees on playgrounds, sports, trampolines, fencing, and amusement rides; member of American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE); member of National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA); member of International Playground Association (IPA); member of National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC); member of National Safe Kids Coalition (Playground & Trampoline Subcommittee).
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Mr. Burton has been an instructor for the NRPA's National Playground Safety Institute (NPSI). Mr. Burton has instructed numerous classes on playground and recreation safety for clients such as NRPA, various parks and recreation departments, school boards, Safe Kids, etc., and has been a featured guest on television and radio stations, etc.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 475 all over the USA
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Warnings, playground, sports, trampoline, and recreation injuries, having to testify regarding supervision, warning signs / labels, hazards, surfacing, product design and layout for playgrounds, trampolines, baseball & softball fields, soccer, bleachers, benches, fitness trail equipment, recreation areas, etc.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 60%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 40%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: About 85 as of 1/14/18.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2017
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Over 90? (estimate).
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 24 in court.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 1988.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Expert Witness consulting, safety audits (detailed inspections), safety signs/labels, inspection tool kits, design and planning, safety manuals, safety courses.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 300.00, (unused balances (above case minimum) are refunded).
Free airfare, discounted travel time is often combined with other jobs en route to cut costs!
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 300.00, (unused balances (above case minimum)are refunded).
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Not hourly, it is a flat rate.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Not hourly, it is a flat rate.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: FREE AIR FARE if not in your town at the time (restrictions & limits apply). Other
overhead costs costs apply (copies, phone, etc.). See Agreement for more details.
Not restricted geographically.
Please call for more references all over the U.S.A., including attorneys REFUNDED due to unused funds.
Murchison & Cumming
c/o Ben Seal
801 S. Grand Ave., 9th FL.
Los Angeles, CA 90017 213-623-7400
Vekic v. Granada Preschool & Kathleen Mitchell (Playground case) - 2010
Murphy & Landon
c/o Roger Landon
1011 Centre Rd., Suite 210
Wilmington, DE 19805 302-472-8100
Braden v. Red Clay Creek Presbyterian Church (Indoor Gym (padding)) - 2010
Conroy, Simberg, Ganon, et. al.
c/o Joshua Cliburn / Rod Lundy
2 S. Orange Ave., Suite 300
Orlando, FL 32801 407-649-9797
Carter v. The Reading Edge (Playground case - Parallel Bars) - 2010
422 N. Main St.
Crestview, FL 32536 850-682-2757
Barbeau v. Roane Child Care Center (Playground case (Tube Crawl)) - 2009
Arnold Law Firm
c/o Cliff Carter
608 University Ave.
Sacramento, CA 95825 916-924-3100
Herrera v. Gadsden School District (Soccer Goal case) - 2009
610 Blackstone Bldg.,
233 East Bay St., #610
Jacksonville, FL 32202 904-634-0501
Mullis v. Nassau Co. School Board (Baseball (fence) case) - 2009
Briggs Law Firm
c/o Steve Wingo
521 S.E. Ft. King St.
Ocala, FL. 34478-2798 352-671-4600
Rabold v. First Assembly of God (playground case - overhead ladder) - 2007
PALM BEACH COUNTY, c/o BARRY BALMUTH, Sara/Cathy Lindsey
1645 PALM BEACH LAKES BLVD., SUITE #1000
WEST PALM BEACH, FL. 33401 561-684-3000
(5 Defense cases so far; playground, sports, bleachers, etc.) (1997 - 2006)
Aiken & Scoptur
c/o Timothy Aiken
260 E. Highland Ave., #700
Milwaukee, Il. 53202-2570 414-225-0260
Lipski vs. Swing N Slide (backyard playground case - death by rope) - 2004
4925 BEACH BLVD.
JACKSONVILLE, FL. 32207 904-396-5730
CANNON vs. POLICE ATHLETIC LEAGUE OF JACKSONVILLE (Sports-cheerleading case) - 2003
Bryant v. Duval County School Board (Playground case) - 1998
BORDAS & BORDAS, c/o JAMES BORDAS & David Jividen
1358 NATIONAL RD.
WHEELING, WV. 26003 (304)242-8410
DEREK MIDCAP vs. MARSHAL CO. SCHOOLS (playground case) - 2000
LeMASTERS vs. VILLAGE OF BETHLEHEM (playground case) - 2003
5801 N. MICHIGAN AVE.
P.O. BOX 80857
LANSING, MI 48908-0857 (517)-886-7176
SHORNAGEL vs. McCLOUD (trampoline case) - 1999
JOE NUSBAUM & MARC BROTMAN
7000 W. Palmetto Park Rd., Suite #300
Boca Raton, FL. 33433 (561)-417-5656
GARCIA vs. TROPICAL CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (playground case) - 1999
STEPHENS vs. SAN MICHELE - 2002
HERTZBERG & ASSOC.
c/o Kent Lucaccioni 33 N. Dearborn St., #2400
Chicago, IL 60602 (312)-263-7780
Grabinger vs. R.B.I. SLUGGERS & UPPER DECK (trampoline case) - 1998
Bollwerk, Ryan & Tatlow LLC
c/o Jill Bolwerk
10525 Big Bend Boulevard
St Louis, MO 63122 314-315-8111
FRANK PONTIUS vs. CITY OF ST. LOUIS (playground case (while at
Hoffman & Wallach)) - 1994
FOR MORE REFERENCES (OR FOR SPECIFIC TYPES OF CASES) PLEASE CALL