Richard Young has over 35 years of public, institutional, commercial, water park and high-end residential pool experience. Rich is a California State Contractor. Rich has operated several as well as designed and renovated hundreds of public, commercial swimming pools and water parks.
-Certified Pool Operator Instructor (National Swimming Pool Foundation)
-Aquatic Facility Operator Instructor (National Recreation and Park Association)
-Member: National Association of Aquatic Consultants
-Technical Adviser for the Professional Pool Operators of America
-Member: California Pool and Spa Association
-Member: National Park and Recreation Association
Legal Consultant and Expert Witness
• Pool Design and Construction Review
• Mechanical Water Systems Analysis
• Accident and Drowning Analysis
• Pool Assessments and Reports
Recent swimming pool-related cases include:
•Drowning & Near Drowning
•Pool Related Accidents
- Dive Medicine
- Pools & Spas
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Grossmont College, Community Recreation Management
San Diego State University, Recreation Administration
California State Contractor, 552262, Exp. 12-2020
Instructor, Certified Pool Operator, National Swimming Pool Institute
Instructor, Certified Pool Inspector, National Swimming Pool Institute
Certified Water Borne Illness, National Swimming Pool Institute
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: World Water Park Association
California Travel Park Association
National Swimming Pool Foundation
National Association of Aquatic Consultants
National Recreation and Park Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Teach and speak at regional, national and international conferences.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: Aquatic Facility Operator Instructor, (taught the original course, was managing editor of the 6th edition, Aquatic Facility Operator Manual, drafted several certification examinations and taught over 30 courses over 15 years. Removed as an instructor over complaints I verbalized over the changes in the 7th edition manual and poorly drafted certification examination with new department leadership.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 40+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Swimming Pool related accidents, drowning and near drowning, patron and employee injuries, code violations, construction disputes,
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 49%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 51%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 6
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2019
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 3
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 3
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 18+
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Site visits for inspections and assessments, drafting reports with photos and drawings as needed,
non-destructive testing, water testing, federal, state and local code research, industry research,
witness deposition evaluation and question advise,
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $145/ hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $145/hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $185/hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $185/hr
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: $50/ hour travel, $0.60 mileage fee plus any reasonable airfare or travel costs reimbursements
Law Office of John D. Garvic
3 East Third Avenue | San Mateo,
CA 94401-4010 t. 650.342.0873 | f. 650.638.9422 |
Alan M. Laskin
Law Offices of Alan M. Laskin
1810 S STREET
SACRAMENTO, CA 95811
Fax (916) 442-0444
THOMAS & ASSOCIATES
Attorneys at Law
2390 Professional Drive
Roseville, CA 95661
Christine M. Henry
Jacobsen & McElroy PC
(916) 971-4100 Ext. 209