Richard Lichten (Lt. Retired) has thirty years of expertise in police and jail procedures and tactics. He has provided expert testimony in Federal and Superior Courts in a number of states in:
- Police and jail practices
- Use of force (lethal + less lethal)
- Use of the TASER
- Unlawful police entry
- The right to resist excessive force by the police
- Arrest warrant operations
- Jail medical care policy-procedures
- Jail safety checks
- Jail/prison inmate attacks
- Jail-made weapons
- Use of private security guards
- Citizen v. citizen self-defense.
- Emergency Driving
- Jail Suicides
- Mitigating Liability in Arresting, Transporting, and Jailing persons in wheelchairs and/or with other ADA defined disabilities
Richard has commanded responses to over 100 large jail riots involving up to 2,000 inmates and led many forced cell removals. He has lectured in other states on the handling of jail riots and forced cell removals. He has expertise in jail medical care policies and procedures as well as expertise in jail suicide prevention. Richard continues to lecture investigator groups and attorney groups on use of force issues. He has conducted investigations in over 2,000 use of force cases (in patrol and jails), and conducted over 1,000 personnel/citizen/inmate complaint investigations in both patrol and jails. He has consulted on officer involved shooting cases, use of force cases, and other patrol and jail procedure civil litigation cases for both defense and plaintiff counsel.
Please visit www.policeandjailprocedures.com for more information, or call 661-406-7258. For Mr. Lichten’s full CV, please contact him directly.
Areas of Expertise
- 1983 Litigation
- Correctional Healthcare
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Drug Enforcement
- Jails & Prisons
- Law Enforcement
- Police Procedures
A full list of references will be provided upon request.