Mark Montrose specializes in Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) plus Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) as well as system level design for both domestic and international regulatory requirements and functionality. Areas of expertise includes design of printed circuit boards and system integration for commercial (industrial, scientific, medical plus information technology equipment) in addition to industrial products with over 35 years of applied engineering experience down to the physics of component operation. In addition, almost all areas of electrical engineering design analysis is provided by this consultant.
Several expert witness engagements have occurred with an expertise in patent research and application applied to real-world engineering problems. Engagements includes Fortune 500 clients with success. In addition, tMark is a professional instructor for the University of California as well as other international training organizations. He authored five internationally popular textbooks related to system level design to achieve EMC, especially at the printed circuit board and system level. EMC Made Simple is his trademark. He performs expert witness work in a manner that is clear and easy to understand by attorneys and juries.
Mark Montrose is a member of the IEEE EMC Society Board of Directors and past member of the IEEE Board of Directors as a Division VI Director (2009-2010). He is a frequently invited speaker internationally at EMC conferences presenting research on sophisticated engineering designs concerns and issues.
Areas of Expertise
- Design Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electromagnetic Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor of Science: Electrical Engineering (California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo). 1979
Bachelor of Science: Computer Science(California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo). 1979
Master of Science: Engineering Management (Santa Clara University). 1983
Master EMC Design Engineer: Exemplar Global (iNARTE). 2011
Printed Circuit Board Design Techniques for EMC Compliance-A Handbook for Designers
EMC and the Printed Circuit Board-Design an Analysis Made Simple
Testing for EMC Compliance-Approaches and Techniques
EMC Made Simple-Printed Circuit Board and System Design
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: IEEE
IEEE EMC Society (Electromagnetic Compatibility) - Board of Directors
IEEE PSES Society (Product Safety Engineering) - Founder and First President
IEEE CE Society (Consumer Electronics)
IEEE Systems Council
American Radio Relay League (Life Member, Extra Class-K6WJ)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: University of California, Santa Cruz Extension Program (8 years). Topic: Printed Circuit Board Design for Signal Integrity and EMC Compliance.
IEEE International Symposium of EMC: Authorized numerous technical papers, details on web site
EMV Conference Germany (Stuttgart and Dusselforf). 15 years of presenting workshops.
Singapore (Three companies): Various EMC topics
EEM Advancement Centre: 15 years (Singapore and Malaysia courses)
K2B International: 2 years, currently on-going
Omnisceint International: 1 year, currently on-going
Keynote speaker, ISEMIC Conference (on EMC). 2010
FTDInfocom: Various EMC topics in Bangalore and New Deli. 2012-date
Numerous EMC Conferences worldwide, IEEE and non-IEEE.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Five times
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Patent infringement, design analysis, inter partes disputes, affects of magnetic fields to the body
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Once
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: March 26, 2014
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 5
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting on design issues related to electromagnetic compatibility (EMC/EMI), testing products to EMC requirement, analyzing design and test reports, patent research on any challenges that exist including inter partes, and dispute resolution between companies related to engineering design requirements among other engineering issues.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $300/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $300/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $400/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $400/hr
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: All travel expenses are to be reimbursed at actual cost along with any office expenses required to perform the task at hand.
399 Park Ave
New York, NY 10022
Williams & Connolly LLP
725 Twelfth St., N.W.
Washington, DC 20005
Attorney at Law
785 Market Street, 15th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
Telephone: (415) 777 4445
Facsimile: (415) 778 8123
Jon E. Hokanson, Partner
Lewis Brisbois Bisgard & Smith LLP
633 W. 5th Street, Suite 4000
Los Angeles, CA 90071
T:213.680.5050 F: 213.250.7900
Lewis Brisbois Bisgard & Smith LLP
650 Town Center Drive, Suite 1400
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Pamela L. McFarlane
Deputy City Attorney
Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
111 Hope Street, Suite 340
Los Angeles, CA 90012