Dr. Mark I. Levy, MD, DLFAPA
Covina, CA 91723
Forensic Psychiatric Associates, L.P. (fpamed) is a national consulting firm with offices in California, Nevada and North Carolina assisting litigating attorneys. The firm includes 15 board certified forensic psychiatrists, 7 forensic neuropsychiatrists and 1 psychological expert in autism.
The Medical Director of fpamed, Dr. Mark I. Levy, is a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association , is a graduate of Columbia College and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, a diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and the National Board of Physicians and Surgeons in Adult Psychiatry and Forensic Psychiatry. He is also a graduate of the San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute. He is an Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine (faculty since 1977) where he teaches in the Law and Psychiatry Fellowship program, Department of Psychiatry. He has been in practice for more than 44 years, consulted in more than 500 civil cases, been deposed more than 400 times and testified in State and Federal Court on 62 occasions.
For more than forty years, Dr. Levy has been practicing clinical psychiatry (and psychoanalysis) and forensic psychiatry full time in Mill Valley, California. During the past twenty five years he has devoted a substantial portion of his practice to forensic psychiatry, providing independent medical evaluations (IME's), and expert forensic psychiatric opinions and consultations nationally for plaintiff and defense trial attorneys, major insurance carriers, and the courts.
Dr. Levy (and the fpamed team's other forensic psychiatric and psychological experts) has specialized expertise and extensive experience assessing claims of emotional distress in multi-plaintiff and mass tort litigation (references and published articles available upon request).
Their experience in civil forensic psychiatric matters also includes, but not limited to, claims of post traumatic stress disorder including witnessing or sustaining injury from disaster, violence, loss, bereavement, divorce, torture, terrorization by parent or spouse; auto, aircraft, industrial, man-made and natural accidents and catastrophes; severe pain; rape; psychotic states; molestation; sexual harassment; drug and/or alcohol abuse; job stress, violence, or harassment; psychotherapy and psychoanalysis; psychological or sexual boundary violations; psychiatric malpractice; and Independent Medical Examinations (I.M.E.), employment litigation claims of discrimination and harassment including but not limited to ADA and FEHA claims; and probate litigation including evaluating questions of testamentary capacity and undue influence.
Dr. Levy's forensic psychiatric expertise in criminal matters includes working for both defense counsel and DAs assessing issues of competency and psychological mitigation factors during sentencing
In 2006 Dr. Levy founded and became the Medical Director of Forensic Psychiatric Associates Medical Corporation (fpamed.com), a subspecialty forensic psychiatric and psychological practice including 16 board certified forensic psychiatrists, 7 forensic neuropsychologists and 1 psychologist expert in autism. In January 2020, Charles Saldanha MD became the Asst. Medical Director of fpamed. Also included in our consulting practice are:
-Anlee Kuo, JD, MD - ABPN Board Certified in Child, Adolescent, Adult and Forensic Psychiatry.
-David Kan, MD - ABPN Board Certified in Adult and Forensic Psychiatry, President of the California Society for Addiction Medicine with special expertise in addiction and substance abuse.
-Charles Saldanha, MD - ABPN Board Certified in Adult and Forensic Psychiatry with special expertise in Hospital Administrative, Acute Care and Trans-cultural Psychiatry.
-James Armontrout, MD - ABPN Board Certified in Adult and Forensic Psychiatry with special expertise in PTSD and Addiction.
-Octavio Choi, MD, PhD - Director of the Stanford School of Medicine Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship, ABPN Board Certified in Adult and Forensic Psychiatry with special expertise in Neuropsychiatry and brain disorders.
-Steven Berger, MD, located in Reno, Nevada, ABPN Board Certified in Adult and Forensic Psychiatry with broad civil and criminal forensic psychiatric expertise.
- Ayesha Ashai, MD - member of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law (AAPL) and currently serves on AAPL’s Criminal Behavior Committee and Cross Cultural Committee.
- Takeo Toyoshima, MD - general, addiction, and forensic psychiatrist practicing in the San Francisco Bay Area who specializes in treating substance use disorders and dual diagnosis cases, in addition to serving the state’s Japanese-speaking patient population.
- Jorien Campbell, MD - forensic psychiatrist certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Psychiatry with certification in the subspecialty of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry;
- Sanjay Adhia, MD, MRO - triple-Board-Certified in Forensic Psychiatry, Brain Injury Medicine, and Psychiatry, skilled in evaluating PTSD, Anxiety and Depressive Disorders, risk of suicide, and malingering.
- Paul Elizondo III, DO - board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in General Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and Forensic Psychiatry; qualified as an expert in the field of psychiatry in adult and juvenile courts in California.
- Tyler Durns, MD - member of the American Psychiatric Association (APA) and is an active member of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law (AAPL) where he serves on the Psychopharmacology, Neuropsychiatry, Law Enforcement Liaison, and Early Career Development Committees
- Nicole Brooks, MD - Clinical Assistant Professor in the Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Department at Stanford University, and a Clinical Faculty member in Stanford University’s Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship.
- Ambarin Faizi, DO - certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Psychiatry with added qualification in Forensic Psychiatry and serves as a forensic expert/consultant in a wide range of criminal and civil cases
- Matthew Edwards, MD - general and forensic psychiatrist and an assistant professor of psychiatry at Stanford University School of Medicine, whose broad interests include the medical humanities, social determinants of health, trauma, care for marginalized populations, crisis services, and policing.
-Sarah Hall, PhD - a forensic adult and pediatric neuropsychologist performing psychological and neuropsychological assessments of adult and children in civil litigation alleging emotional distress and/or cognitive impairment.
-Howard Friedman, PhD, ABPP, Board Certified in Neuropsychology, performing forensic psychological and neuropsychological assessments of adult and children in civil litigation alleging emotional distress and/or cognitive impairment.
- Shawn K. Acheson, PhD is a member of the American Psychological Association, including Divisions 12 (clinical), 40 (neuropsychology) and 41 (law); the International Neuropsychological Society; and, National Academy of Neuropsychology where he currently serves on the Policy and Planning Committee.
- Alexis Smith, PhD, with expertise in Neuropsychological Assessment of Adults, Adolescents, and Children
- John M. Fabian, PsyD, JD, ABPP, double board certified by the American Board of Professional Psychology in both forensic psychology and clinical psychology
- William McMullen, PhD, ABPP-CN, Immediate Past President, San Francisco Neurological Society
-Bryna Siegel, PhD, Executive Director Autism Center of Northern California, (ret.) Professor of Psychiatry, UCSF, with special forensic psychological expertise in autism and autism spectrum disorders.
Various fpamed forensic psychiatrists and psychologists have broad subspecialty expertise in Forensic Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Substance Abuse and and Addiction, and the Neurocognitive and Neuropsychological Assessment of traumatic brain injury, dementia and other neurological conditions that may impair cognitive functioning, probate law including assessing testamentary capacity and undue influence and assessments of populations in mass tort litigation.
- Addiction Medicine
- Alcohol Abuse
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Brain Injury
- Child Abuse
- Child Custody
- Child Psychiatry
- Child Psychology
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Drug Abuse
- Elder Abuse
- Emotional Trauma
- Fitness for Duty Evaluation
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychology
- Geriatric Psychiatry
- Independent Medical Examinations
- Industrial Psychology
- Neurodevelopmental Disorder/Disability
- Personal Injury
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sanity/Competency to Stand Trial
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Addiction
- Sexual Harassment/Discrimination
- Spousal Abuse
- Testamentary Capacity
- Undue Influence
- Vocational Evaluation & Rehabilitation
- Wrongful Termination
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Education
-A.B. 1967 Columbia College, Columbia University, New York, NY;
-M.D. 1971 College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University;
-Internship 1971-72 Mount Zion Hospital and Medical Center, San Francisco, CA.;
-Psychiatric Residency 1972-75 Mount Zion Hospital and Medical Center;
-Psychoanalytic Training 1973-84 San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute;
-Forensic Psychiatric Review Course American Academy of Psychiatry and Law, October 1998, 2004 & 2008.
-Forensic Psychiatric Review Course The Osler Institute, March 1999
-Physician and Surgeon State of California since 1972; State of Hawaii since 2004; North Carolina since 2014
-ABPN Board Certified in Psychiatry 1981 and Forensic Psychiatry (1999, 2009);
-Drug Enforcement Administration since 1975;
-Qualified Medical Examiner ("QME"), State of California, Department of Industrial Relations, Industrial Medical Council 1993 - 1996, currently inactive.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Full-time private office practice of forensic psychiatry, adult and adolescent general psychiatry and psychoanalysis, Mill Valley , CA. since 1975;
Psychiatric Disability Consultant, State of California Department of Vocational Rehabilitation 1975-90;
Psychiatric Disability Consultant, U.S. Social Security Administration, Department of Social Services, Disability Evaluation Division, Sacramento, CA. 1975-present;
Independent Psychiatric Disability Consultant providing Independent Medical (Psychiatric) Examinations (`IME's") on behalf of individual claimants and insurance companies since 1980.
Board of Advisors: Better Legal & Business Practice for Psychiatrists and Psychotherapists
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Department of Psychiatry, Law and Psychiatry Fellowship, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Assistant Clinical Professor.
San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute, Faculty member (teaching courses on psychopathology of the neuroses and character to psychoanalytic candidates).
San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute Extension Division Committee on Law and Psychoanalysis, founding member, (produced educational programs for the legal community jointly with the Bar Association of San Francisco).
Hastings College of Law, University of California, faculty 1997 and 1999 College of Trial Advocacy and guest lecturer to "Psychiatry and Law" course since 1995
Numerous presentations to bar Associations (California State Bar, Bar Association of San Francisco), law societies (American Conference Institute, International Association of Defense Counsel, Defense Research Institute) and law firms (e.g. Seyfarth Shaw LLP) on a variety of forensic psychiatric topics including psychiatric damages assessment in catastrophic multiplaintiff litigation, PTSD, testamentary capacity and undue influence in will contests, etc.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: more than 450 times; testified in deposition more than 350 times and in State and Federal Court on 45 occasions.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: MASS TORT/MULTI-PLAINTIFF LITIGATION
PSYCHOLOGICAL TRAUMA (PTSD)
PERSONAL INJURY, PSYCHOLOGICAL INJURY, MENTAL PAIN AND SUFFERING
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT (ADA) OF 1990
EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION & HARASSMENT
AGE DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT ACTS (ADEA) OF 1967 AND 1975
CIVIL RIGHTS ACT OF 1991
FITNESS FOR DUTY EVALUATIONS
VIOLENCE RISK ASSESSMENT
SEXUAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL ABUSE
HARASSMENT AND STALKING
PSYCHIATRIC ETHICS & MALPRACTICE
PROFESSIONAL CONFIDENTIALITY & BOUNDARY VIOLATIONS / (SEXUAL OR FINANCIAL IMPROPRIETIES BETWEEN THERAPISTS AND PATIENTS) (1)
CRIMINAL & CIVIL COMPETENCY EVALUATIONS
RIGHT TO TREATMENT
RIGHT TO REFUSE TREATMENT
DETECTION OF MALINGERING
Others in the fpamed practice have been retained as experts in:
FORENSIC CHILD AND ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRY
PSYCHOLOGICAL TESTING ASSESSMENT OF EMOTIONAL DISTRESS
NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT OF COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT (DEMENTIA, TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY)
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: ~35%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: ~65%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: more than 350
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: September 2015
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 45
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 45
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: since the mid 1980's
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Assessment of Psychological Injury Claims in Multiplaintiff, Mass Tort and Individual Civil Litigation
Consultation,Child and Adult Psychiatric Evaluations, IME's, Reports, Testimony
Full Psychological and Neuropsychological Forensic Assessments by experienced PhD psychologists
Video conferencing available upon request for long distance plaintiff/defendant psychiatric evaluations and for attorney consultations
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $750
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $750
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $750/hour - minimum 5 hours
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $750/hour with a minimum 5 hours portal to portal
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Per diem for non-local consulting $7500 (up to 10 hours/day) plus business class travel and accommodations
- Moms Who Kill
- Original Articles by Mark I. Levy, MD, FAPA
- The Team Approach: Assessing Emotional Damages
- The Use of Forensic Psychiatry in Catastrophic Injury and Multi-Party Litigation
- CHOOSING A FORENSIC PSYCHIATRIC EXPERT— The Difference between Treating Clinicians and Forensic Psychiatric Experts
- Assessing Emotional Damages
- The Use of Forensic Psychiatry in Catastrophic Injury and Multi-Party Litigation
Paula Tripp Victor, Esq., Partner
Anderson McPharlin & Conners
707 Wilshire Blvd Ste 4000
Los Angeles CA 90017-3623
+1 (213) 236-1646 direct
Mary Cain-Simon, Esq.
Deputy Attorney General
State of California
1515 Clay Street, 20th Floor
P.O. Box 70550
Oakland CA 94612-0550
+1(510) 879-0090 direct
Mary Kathryn Sammons, Esq. - Partner
Susman Godfrey L.L.P.
Houston TX 77002
+1(713) 653-7864 direct
Michael Fox, Esq., Partner
Michael Fox, Esq., - Partner
Sedgewick, Detert Moran & Arnold
333 Bush Street, 30th Floor
San Francisco California 94104-2806
+1 (415) 627-1450 direct
Earnest W. Wotring, Esq. Partner
Baker · Wotring LLP
700 JPMorgan Chase Tower
600 Travis Street
Houston, TX 77002
Richard Gerry, Esq., Partner
Aiken Schenk Hawkins & Ricciardi P.C. - Partner
2390 E. Camelback Rd., Suite 400
Phoenix AZ 85016
+1 (602) 248-8203 direct
Thomas Moore, Esq.
Brownstone Law Group
120 Sycamore Ave, Suite 2F
Vista, CA 92081
+1(650) 575-4991 direct
J. Tyrrell Taber, Esq. Partner
Aiken Schenk Hawkins & Ricciardi P.C.
2390 E. Camelback Rd., Suite 400
Phoenix AZ 85016
Michael Larin, Esq. Shareholder
Lynberg & Watkins
International Tower Plaza
888 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, California 90017-2516
(213) 532-7005 direct
Weinberg, Hoffman, Casey& Roper
900 Larkspur Landing Circle,
Larkspur, CA 94939
415) 461-9666 x102
Crystal Rose, Esq.
Bays Deaver Lung Rose and Babba
1099 Alakea suite 1600
Honolulu, HI 96813
Mikel Schwab, Esq. AUSA
United States Attorney - Guam
Chief of Civil
United States Attorney’s Office
108 Hernan Cortez
Agana, Guam 96910