Dr. Mark Levy, a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association , is a graduate of the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, a diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Psychiatry with Subspecialty Accreditation in Forensic Psychiatry and a graduate of the San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute. He is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine (since 1977) where he teaches in the Law and Psychiatry Fellowship program, Department of Psychiatry. He has been in practice for more than 40 years, consulted in more than 450 civil cases, been deposed more than 350 times and testified in State and Federal Court on 45 occasions.
In 2006 Dr. Levy became the Medical Director of Forensic Psychiatric Associates Medical Corporation (fpamed.com), a subspecialty forensic psychiatric and psychological practice including 3 other board certified forensic psychiatrists and 2 forensic neuropsychologists. Also in the practice are:
-Anlee Kuo, JD, MD - ABPN Board Certified in Child, Adolescent, Adult and Forensic Psychiatry.
-David Kan, MD - ABPN Board Certified in Adult and Forensic Psychiatry with special expertise in substance abuse.
-Charles Saldanha, MD - ABPN Board Certified in Adult and Forensic Psychiatry with special expertise in Hospital Administrative, Acute Care and Trans-cultural Psychiatry.
-Ronald H. Roberts, PhD - a neuropsychologist ABPP Board certified in Forensic Psychology with 25 years forensic experience performing civil and criminal psychological and neuropsychological forensic assessments of plaintiffs claiming emotional distress and/or cognitive impairment.
-Sarah Hall, PhD - a forensic adult and pediatric neuropsychologist performing psychological and neuropsychological assessments of adult and children in civil litigation alleging emotional distress and/or cognitive impairment.
For more than forty years, Dr. Levy has been practicing clinical psychiatry (and psychoanalysis) full time in Mill Valley, California. In addition, during the past twenty five years he has devoted a substantial portion of his clinical practice to forensic psychiatry, providing independent medical evaluations (IME's), and expert forensic psychiatric opinions and consultations nationally for plaintiff and defense trial attorneys, major insurance carriers, and the courts.
Dr. Levy's (and the other forensic psychiatric and psychological experts at fpamed) have expertise assessing claims of emotional distress in civil matters including, but not limited to, multi-plaintiff and mass tort litigation, claims of post traumatic stress disorder including witnessing or sustaining injury from disaster, violence, loss, bereavement, divorce, torture, terrorization by parent or spouse; auto, aircraft, industrial, man-made and natural accidents and catastrophes; severe pain; rape; psychotic states; molestation; sexual harassment; drug and/or alcohol abuse; job stress, violence, or harassment; psychotherapy and psychoanalysis; psychological or sexual boundary violations; psychiatric malpractice; and Independent Medical Examinations (I.M.E.), employment litigation claims of discrimination and harassment including but not limited to ADA and FEHA claims; and probate litigation including evaluating questions of testamentary capacity and undue influence.
Other forensic psychiatrists and psychologists in the fpamed practice have expertise in Forensic Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Substance Abuse and and Addiction, and the Neurocognitive and Neuropsychological Assessment of traumatic brain injury, dementia and other neurological conditions that may impair cognitive functioning.
Areas of Expertise
- Addiction Medicine
- Alcohol Abuse
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Brain Injury
- Child Abuse
- Child Custody
- Child Psychiatry
- Child Psychology
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Drug Abuse
- Elder Abuse
- Emotional Trauma
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychology
- Geriatric Psychiatry
- Independent Medical Examinations (I.M.E.)
- Industrial Psychology
- Personal Injury
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sanity/Trial Competency
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Addiction
- Sexual Harassment/Discrimination
- Spousal Abuse
- Vocational Evaluation & Rehabilitation
- Wrongful Termination
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Education
-A.B. 1967 Columbia College, Columbia University, New York, NY;
-M.D. 1971 College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University;
-Internship 1971-72 Mount Zion Hospital and Medical Center, San Francisco, CA.;
-Psychiatric Residency 1972-75 Mount Zion Hospital and Medical Center;
-Psychoanalytic Training 1973-84 San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute;
-Forensic Psychiatric Review Course American Academy of Psychiatry and Law, October 1998, 2004 & 2008.
-Forensic Psychiatric Review Course The Osler Institute, March 1999
-Physician and Surgeon State of California since 1972; State of Hawaii since 2004; North Carolina since 2014
-ABPN Board Certified in Psychiatry 1981 and Forensic Psychiatry (1999, 2009);
-Drug Enforcement Administration since 1975;
-Qualified Medical Examiner ("QME"), State of California, Department of Industrial Relations, Industrial Medical Council 1993 - 1996, currently inactive.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Full-time private office practice of forensic psychiatry, adult and adolescent general psychiatry and psychoanalysis, Mill Valley , CA. since 1975;
Psychiatric Disability Consultant, State of California Department of Vocational Rehabilitation 1975-90;
Psychiatric Disability Consultant, U.S. Social Security Administration, Department of Social Services, Disability Evaluation Division, Sacramento, CA. 1975-present;
Independent Psychiatric Disability Consultant providing Independent Medical (Psychiatric) Examinations (`IME's") on behalf of individual claimants and insurance companies since 1980.
Board of Advisors: Better Legal & Business Practice for Psychiatrists and Psychotherapists
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Department of Psychiatry, Law and Psychiatry Fellowship, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Assistant Clinical Professor.
San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute, Faculty member (teaching courses on psychopathology of the neuroses and character to psychoanalytic candidates).
San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute Extension Division Committee on Law and Psychoanalysis, founding member, (produced educational programs for the legal community jointly with the Bar Association of San Francisco).
Hastings College of Law, University of California, faculty 1997 and 1999 College of Trial Advocacy and guest lecturer to "Psychiatry and Law" course since 1995
Numerous presentations to bar Associations (California State Bar, Bar Association of San Francisco), law societies (American Conference Institute, International Association of Defense Counsel, Defense Research Institute) and law firms (e.g. Seyfarth Shaw LLP) on a variety of forensic psychiatric topics including psychiatric damages assessment in catastrophic multiplaintiff litigation, PTSD, testamentary capacity and undue influence in will contests, etc.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: more than 450 times; testified in deposition more than 350 times and in State and Federal Court on 45 occasions.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: MASS TORT/MULTI-PLAINTIFF LITIGATION
PSYCHOLOGICAL TRAUMA (PTSD)
PERSONAL INJURY, PSYCHOLOGICAL INJURY, MENTAL PAIN AND SUFFERING
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT (ADA) OF 1990
EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION & HARASSMENT
AGE DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT ACTS (ADEA) OF 1967 AND 1975
CIVIL RIGHTS ACT OF 1991
FITNESS FOR DUTY EVALUATIONS
VIOLENCE RISK ASSESSMENT
SEXUAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL ABUSE
HARASSMENT AND STALKING
PSYCHIATRIC ETHICS & MALPRACTICE
PROFESSIONAL CONFIDENTIALITY & BOUNDARY VIOLATIONS / (SEXUAL OR FINANCIAL IMPROPRIETIES BETWEEN THERAPISTS AND PATIENTS) (1)
CRIMINAL & CIVIL COMPETENCY EVALUATIONS
RIGHT TO TREATMENT
RIGHT TO REFUSE TREATMENT
DETECTION OF MALINGERING
Others in the fpamed practice have been retained as experts in:
FORENSIC CHILD AND ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRY
PSYCHOLOGICAL TESTING ASSESSMENT OF EMOTIONAL DISTRESS
NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT OF COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT (DEMENTIA, TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY)
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: ~35%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: ~65%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: more than 350
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: September 2015
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 45
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 45
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: since the mid 1980's
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Assessment of Psychological Injury Claims in Multiplaintiff, Mass Tort and Individual Civil Litigation
Consultation,Child and Adult Psychiatric Evaluations, IME's, Reports, Testimony
Full Psychological and Neuropsychological Forensic Assessments by experienced PhD psychologists
Video conferencing available upon request for long distance plaintiff/defendant psychiatric evaluations and for attorney consultations
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $650
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $650
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $650/hour - minimum 5 hours
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $650/hour with a minimum 5 hours portal to portal
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Per diem for non-local consulting $6500 (up to 10 hours/day) plus business class travel and accommodations
- Moms Who Kill
- Original Articles by Mark I. Levy, MD, FAPA
- The Team Approach: Assessing Emotional Damages
- The Use of Forensic Psychiatry in Catastrophic Injury and Multi-Party Litigation
- CHOOSING A FORENSIC PSYCHIATRIC EXPERT— The Difference between Treating Clinicians and Forensic Psychiatric Experts
Paula Tripp Victor, Esq., Partner
Anderson McPharlin & Conners
707 Wilshire Blvd Ste 4000
Los Angeles CA 90017-3623
+1 (213) 236-1646 direct
Mary Cain-Simon, Esq.
Deputy Attorney General
State of California
1515 Clay Street, 20th Floor
P.O. Box 70550
Oakland CA 94612-0550
+1(510) 879-0090 direct
Mary Kathryn Sammons, Esq. - Partner
Susman Godfrey L.L.P.
Houston TX 77002
+1(713) 653-7864 direct
Michael Fox, Esq., Partner
Michael Fox, Esq., - Partner
Sedgewick, Detert Moran & Arnold
333 Bush Street, 30th Floor
San Francisco California 94104-2806
+1 (415) 627-1450 direct
Earnest W. Wotring, Esq. Partner
Baker · Wotring LLP
700 JPMorgan Chase Tower
600 Travis Street
Houston, TX 77002
Richard Gerry, Esq., Partner
Aiken Schenk Hawkins & Ricciardi P.C. - Partner
2390 E. Camelback Rd., Suite 400
Phoenix AZ 85016
+1 (602) 248-8203 direct
Thomas Moore, Esq.
Brownstone Law Group
120 Sycamore Ave, Suite 2F
Vista, CA 92081
+1(650) 575-4991 direct
J. Tyrrell Taber, Esq. Partner
Aiken Schenk Hawkins & Ricciardi P.C.
2390 E. Camelback Rd., Suite 400
Phoenix AZ 85016
Michael Larin, Esq. Shareholder
Lynberg & Watkins
International Tower Plaza
888 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, California 90017-2516
(213) 532-7005 direct
Weinberg, Hoffman, Casey& Roper
900 Larkspur Landing Circle,
Larkspur, CA 94939
415) 461-9666 x102
Crystal Rose, Esq.
Bays Deaver Lung Rose and Babba
1099 Alakea suite 1600
Honolulu, HI 96813
Mikel Schwab, Esq. AUSA
United States Attorney - Guam
Chief of Civil
United States Attorney’s Office
108 Hernan Cortez
Agana, Guam 96910