MFC Consulting provides an array of independent consulting services to attorneys and insurance carriers. Services include development and /or review of Life Care Plans, Medical Cost Projections, Medicare Set-Aside Allocations, Catastrophic Case Management, Senior Care Management, and Legal Nurse Consulting.
Mariann Cosby, owner of MFC Consulting has been a Registered Nurse and Public Health Nurse since 1980. Mariann holds advanced degrees in Health Care Administration and Nursing. Advanced certifications include: Legal Nurse Consultant Certified (LNCC), Certified Life Care Planner (CLCP), Certified Case Manager (CCM),Medicare Set-Aside Consultant Certified (MSCC),Certified Emergency Nurse (CEN), Nursing Executive - Board Certified (NE-BC), Credentialed School Nurse, and Special Teaching Authorization in Health. Mariann also holds certificates in Case Management and Quality Management. Verifications include Instructor and provider of Advanced Cardiac Life Support; provider of Pediatric Advanced Life Support, and Basic Life Support.
Mariann has developed the specific skills necessary in a wide range of nursing disciplines to provide a global perspective to the standards and quality of nursing care and application to the life care planning process. Mariann has 29 years of acute care experience which include: Emergency, Trauma, Critical Care, Medical -Surgical, Geriatrics, and Pediatrics; along with nursing administration, case management, discharge planning, home health, geriatrics, elder care and abuse. She remains clinically active in emergency nursing.
Mariann was the Chief of California’s Preventive Health Care for the Aging/Adults program which serviced older adults and the elderly until funding was eliminated in 2008. As a nurse consultant and program administrator, Mariann applied her knowledge regarding chronic diseases and disability to develop and write clinical guidelines and policies based on standards of care. Mariann is currently a nursing consultant for California Prison Health Care Services where she researches and performs clinical investigations of health care appeals submitted by inmates. She determines whether health care is delivered in accordance with regulatory, departmental and community standards. She also identifies potential risk management issues and works with institutions to implement strategies which promote risk reductions and improvement in quality patient care along the health care continuum.
In addition, Mariann is an adjunct nursing faculty member, and is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing to teach general nursing, pediatrics, and geriatrics. Mariann also has experience as a School Nurse and an in depth understanding of the nursing aspects of Special Education and Children with disabilities and special healthcare needs.
Mariann is published in the peer reviewed Journal of Life Care Planning. She is also a contributing author to an award winning textbook School Nursing: a Comprehensive Text, which received the American Journal of Nursing 2006 book of the year award in three categories: Advanced Practice Nursing, Maternal-Child Nursing and Childbirth, and Nursing Education and Continuing Education.
Using her training, experience, and based on case merit and standard of care, Mariann provides informed professional opinions to attorneys. The ability and expertise to ethically evaluate, analyze, strategize, and collaborate are the hallmarks of the Legal Nurse Consultant. Mariann's skills, from record review, timeline analysis, and case summary to depositions and courtroom testimony, make her a valuable asset to any professional team.
Mariann has been retained in more than 100 medical malpractice, personal injury, and life care planning cases combined. Her testimony experience spans from 1991 to the present.
With connections to a broad network of medical and legal colleagues, Mariann has the resources to bring the specific medical experts required for the case together with the legal representatives.
Areas of Expertise
- Addiction Medicine
- Brain Injury
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Child Abuse
- Child Psychiatry
- Child Psychology
- Correctional Healthcare
- Drug Abuse
- Emergency Medicine
- Hospital & Medical Ethics
- Hospitals & Medical Services
- Independent Medical Examinations (I.M.E.)
- Legal Nurse Consultant
- Life Care Planning
- Long Term Care
- Managed Care & HMOs
- Medical Billing
- Medical Fraud
- Nursing Homes
- Occupational/Environmental Health
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Pain Management
- Personal Injury
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Preventive Medicine
- Sanity/Trial Competency
- Sexual Abuse
- Spousal Abuse
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Licensed Registered Nurse, State of California (RN)
Public Health Nurse Certificate (PHN)
Certified Emergency Nurse (CEN)
Nursing Executive Board Certfied(NE-BC)
Legal Nurse Consultant Certified (LNCC)
Certified Life Care Planner (CLCP)
Certified Case Manager (CCM)
Medicare Set-Aside Consultant Certified (MSCC)
Advanced Cardiac Life Support instructor & provider (ACLS)
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
Credentialed School Nurse
Case Management Certificate
Quality Management Certificate
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Emergency Nurses Association
American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants
American Association of Nurse Life Care Planners
International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals
Case Management Society of America
National Association of School Nurses
Sigma Theta Tau, National Honor Society of Nursing
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: College Nursing Curriculum (all semesters)
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (all components)
Speaker AALNC (case presentations)
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: NEVER
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 100
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: General nursing, Standards of Care, emergency, trauma, patient falls, IV therapy, Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF), Transfers/COBRA/EMTALA, Medication administration, Triage, wrongful death, nursing administration, physician/nursing communications, PACU/recovery room, pediatrics, school nursing, children with special health care needs, patient safety, patient falls, restraints, gerontology, wound care.
Additional information is available by contacting
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 20 cases
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 11.08
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 5
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 6
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 18
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, expert witness, life care plans, medical record reveiw/case review for merit, research, written or verbal reports, fact witness, observation of individual medical evaluation exams and written reports, and case management.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: upon request
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: upon request
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: upon request
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: upon request
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: This information is available upon request by contacting MFC CONSULTING.
This information is available upon request by contacting MFC CONSULTING 916-974-1222 or email@example.com