Mr. Key Coleman, CPA, CFA, CPCU, ARe
Greater Philadelphia, PA 19026
Key Coleman is a damages expert and a former Big Four accounting firm partner. Key has performed damages analysis relating to insurance, healthcare, investments, intellectual property, employment, lost profits, lost wages, manufacturing, retail, post-acquisition disputes and general business breakups.
Key often works on insurance matters. His background is unusual in that he has a deep understanding of many of the functional areas that lead to disputes, including: underwriting, claims, reinsurance and accounting. He is one of the few experts nationwide who hold both the CPA and the CPCU designations.
Key has more than 30 years of experience in and around the insurance industry, with a focus on forensics, disputes, damages and expert testimony. Key is often engaged as an expert witness to assess damages in insurance or reinsurance disputes. His clients have included insurance companies, reinsurers, insureds, agents/brokers and attorneys.
While Key also works as a damages expert outside insurance, he has developed certain specialties within the insurance realm. An abbreviated list of his insurance economic damages specialties would include:
• Accounting analysis (Statutory and GAAP)
• Agencies and Brokers E&O
• Claims analysis
• Forensic Accounting and Insurance Investigations (including MGA and TPA inspections)
• Managing General Agencies (MGAs)
• Reinsurance matters
• Run-off and Insolvency analysis
• Third Party Administrators (TPAs)
• Underwriting analysis
• Workers’ Compensation
Key began his career in insurance operations at the company level, but later transitioned to a Big Four accounting firm where he served clients for 11 years and rose to the level of partner. Key now has his own firm and performs expert testimony as an economic damages expert both locally and nationwide.
- Business Interruption
- Forensic Accounting
- Insurance Agency
- Insurance Agent/Broker
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Life Insurance
- Lost Profits
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: • Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in Pennsylvania
• Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
• Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU)
• Associate in Reinsurance (ARe)
• Masters in Business Administraton (MBA)
• Bachelors in Economics (BA)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: • American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
• CFA Institute
• CFA Society of Chicago
• CPCU Society
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained numerous times as an expert. I have performed litigation support and expert witness analysis in the Big Four or at other well known firms for over 20 years. I typically work on economic damages as an expert witness and provide expert testimony on damages.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I am often retained to perform economic damages assessments and testify, or consult in complex litigation. I am a former Big Four accounting firm partner. I have performed damages analysis relating to insurance, healthcare, investments, intellectual property, employment, lost profits, lost wages, manufacturing, retail, post-acquisition disputes and general business breakups.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: I work on both the plaintiff and the defense side.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: I work on both the plaintiff and defense side.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: I began doing this type of work in 1997.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting and economic damages analysis as an expert witness. Provide insurance economic damages expert witness testimony to support opinions. Assess economic damages as expert witness in the insurance and reinsurance field. In addition, I perform MGA/TPA audits and inspections, as well as other forensic accounting activities.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: My initial consultation with an attorney (prior to becoming engaged) is free. I am happy to discuss a case with counsel prior to becoming engaged.
Available upon request.