Key Coleman is a damages expert, who often works on insurance matters. Key's background is unusual in that he has a deep understanding of many of the functional areas that lead to disputes, including: underwriting, claims, reinsurance and accounting. He is one of the few experts nationwide who hold both the CPA and the CPCU designations.
Key has more than 30 years of experience in and around the insurance industry, with a focus on forensics, disputes, damages and expert testimony. Key is often engaged as an expert witness to assess damages in insurance or reinsurance disputes. His clients have included insurance companies, reinsurers, insureds, agents/brokers and attorneys.
While Key also works as a damages expert outside insurance, he has developed certain specialties within the insurance realm. An abbreviated list of his insurance economic damages specialties would include:
• Accounting analysis (Statutory and GAAP)
• Agencies and Brokers E&O
• Claims analysis
• Forensic Accounting and Insurance Investigations (including MGA and TPA inspections)
• Managing General Agencies (MGAs)
• Reinsurance matters
• Run-off and Insolvency analysis
• Third Party Administrators (TPAs)
• Underwriting analysis
• Workers’ Compensation
While Key began his career in insurance operations at the company level, he later transitioned to a Big Four accounting firm where he served clients for 11 years and rose to the level of partner. Key now has his own firm and performs expert testimony as an insurance economic damages expert both locally and nationwide.
Areas of Expertise
- Forensic Accounting
- Insurance Agency
- Insurance Agent/Broker
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Life Insurance
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: • Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in Pennsylvania
• Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
• Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU)
• Associate in Reinsurance (ARe)
• Masters in Business Administraton (MBA)
• Bachelors in Economics (BA)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: • American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
• CFA Institute
• CFA Society of Chicago
• CPCU Society
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained numerous times as an expert. I have performed litigation support and expert witness analysis in the Big Four or at other well known firms for over 20 years. I typically work on insurance economic damages as an expert witness and provide expert testimony on insurance damages.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Often retained to perform economic damages assessment and testify, or consult in complex litigation.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting and economic damages analysis as an expert witness. Provide insurance economic damages expert witness testimony to support opinions. Assess economic damages as expert witness in the insurance and reinsurance field. In addition, I perform MGA/TPA audits and inspections, as well as other forensic accounting activities.
References upon request.