Karl R. Leinsing, MSME, PE, is the President of ATech Designs, Inc. His medical experience includes intravenous (IV) systems & disposables, hernia repair, endometrial ablation, cardiovascular systems, injection ports, catheters, mitral valve repair, bed rails, cervical screws, syringes, IV/insulin pumps, glucose monitors, peritoneal dialysis pumps, and abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair. Mr. Leinsing holds many patents in needle free IV valves, laparoscopic devices, needlescopic devices, suture lockers, catheters, mitral valve repair devices, sleep apnea (CPAP) devices,and knitting machines and is also the winner of five design awards and is recognized as one of the top 100 medical device professionals in the nation by MD&DI.
Areas of Expertise
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Design Engineering
- Equipment & Machinery
- Failure Analysis
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Machine Guarding
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Devices
- Professional Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: BSME - Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
MSME - Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
PE - Professional Engineering License #11437
HOF - 2010 PD&D Design Engineer Hall of Fame Nominee
BBB - Better Business Bureau - Complaint Free For 3 Years
Notable - 2008 MD&M 1/100 Most Notable Medical Device Professional
MDEA - 2003 MD&M Medical Device Excellence Award
MDEA - 1998 MD&M Medical Device Excellence Award
Award - 2001 Prototype Design Award
NSPE - 2000 National Society of Professional Engineers Product Award
NCNPA - 1999 North Carolina New Product Award
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: ASME - Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers since 1988
MDG - Member of Medical Development Group since 2002
MassMedic - Member of Massachusetts Medical Device Industry Council since 2010
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: MD&M Convention - The Art of Successful Product Development
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 40+ cases including deposition and trial experience (jury, bench, arbitration, hearings). Case history list is available upon request and included in my CV. Received many compliments on performance during jury trials. Attorney A.W. said "I have worked with many experts including those with 30+ years experience and you were better than all of them."
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Patent litigation and liability cases
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 26+ times as of 2017
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Please reference my CV
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Over six (6) times as of 2017
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Over six (6) times and once for a judge tutorial as of 2017
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 2002
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, testing, photography, high magnification photography, video, high speed video, non-destructive CT scanning of parts to create CAD files of parts/devices, potting of samples, reports, analysis, failure analysis, tensile/compression testing, pressure/vacuum testing, finite element analysis (FEA), and modeling. All can be performed onsite in my medical lab using calibrated instruments and equipment.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $500/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $500/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $500/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $500/hr.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses, postage/shipping, test equipment/fixtures, enlarged models for demonstratives, non-destructive CT scanning of parts to create CAD files, and professional copy fees. Company requires an average retainer of $7,500 that is credited and/or applied to last invoice of services. Net-30 to 60 day terms is preferred.
McAndrews, Held, & Malloy, Ltd.
Houston, TX 77002-5242
Mac A. Greco, Jr. Prof. Assoc. Atty at Law
501 North Morgan St., Suite 200
Tampa, FL 33602-3905
More are available upon request including jury trial references.