Ms. Orlin provides forensic consulting, litigation support, and expert witness services to attorneys and law firms in limited liability company, corporation, and not-for-profit entity governance, fiduciary duty, and legal ethics, including legal malpractice.
Ms. Orlin, corporate, limited liability company, business and commercial transactions, auctioneering, and legal ethics attorney, Florida and New York, is member of New York City Bar Association, and its Independence of Lawyers and the Judiciary and Rule of Law Task Forces, and its Professional Ethics Committee and the Corporations, Securities, and Financial Services Committee, Business Law Section, The Florida Bar.
She was: member of Professional Responsibility Committee of New York City Bar Association, among other committees of that Association, partner/counsel major law firms; General or Associate Counsel financial institutions; member Special Committees on Opinion Standards and Chair Corporations, Securities, and Financial Services Committee, Business Law Section, Vice Chair Committee on Relations with CPAs/FICPA, and member Professional Ethics Committee, The Florida Bar.
She was instructor “Corporations,” St. Thomas University School of Law, legal ethics and paralegal studies, The Law Center, Miami Dade College, Miami, FL, and BramsonORT College, New York, NY, and “Opinion Letters after 2001 ABA Guidelines” and taught governance, fiduciary duty and legal ethics in llcs and not-for-profit entities, and mergers, acquisitions and securities law.
She is licensed to practice law in Florida and New York. A.B. summa cum laude U. Pennsylvania, J.D. Harvard Law School. She is member and, formerly, partner, senior attorney, or of counsel to law firms and former General Legal Counsel and Associate Counsel to financial institutions.
Ms. Orlin is a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Dispute Resolution Arbitrator.
References in this listing to "expertise" mean and refer to areas in which Ms. Orlin concentrates her forensic consulting and litigation support services, and do not represent Ms. Orlin as an "expert" as that term is used in the Rules of Professional Conduct applicable to attorneys licensed to practice law in the State of Florida or New York.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Law
- Corporate Governance
- Legal Ethics
- Legal Malpractice
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Legal: HARVARD LAW SCHOOL, J.D.
Undergraduate: UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA, A.B. summa cum laude (Mathematics); Phi Beta Kappa
Admitted to practice law: Florida; New York; U.S. District Courts for Southern and Eastern Districts, New York; U.S. Court of Appeals for Second Circuit.
AV Preeminant(R)Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell(R). (See footnote at end of C.V.)
Graduate, Mendenhall School of Auctioneering, High Point, North Carolina-Elected Class President; Florida auctioneer’s and auction business licenses; New York City auctioneer’s license.
Certificate, The Grant Institute.
Current editions of Who's Who in the World, Who's Who in America, and Who's Who in American Law; Metropolitan Who's Who (2007); Honored Member, Empire Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals (2005-6).
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Arbitrator, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Member, Business Law Section, American Bar Association.
Member, Corporations, Securities and Financial Services Committee, Business Law Section, The Florida Bar; member, business entity statutory revision subcommittees; former Committee Chair, Vice Chair, Co-Vice Chair, and Chair, blue sky statutory revision subcommittee.
Member, New York City Bar Association and its Professional Ethics Committee and Task Force on the Independence of Lawyers and Judges; former member of Professional Responsibility Committee, Small Law Firm Committee, and Committee on Securities Regulation of that Association.
Former member, Executive Council, Business Law Section, former member and Vice Chair, Committee on Relations with CPAs and FICPA, and former member, Professional Ethics Committee, The Florida Bar.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Adjunct Faculty, Paralegal Studies, BramsonORT College, New York, NY, and Paralegal Education, The Law Center, Miami Dade College, and former instructor, School of Community Education, Miami Dade College,Miami, FL.
Coach, The Launch Pad, University of Miami School of Business, Miami, FL.
Former adjunct instructor, St. Thomas University School of Law, Miami, FL.
Former instructor regarding commercial lending as part of student workshop, University of Miami School of Law, Miami, FL.
Dale Carnegie Course--Graduate Assistant.
Webinar presenter, "To LLC or Not To LLC: Florida Update," sponsored by Lorman Business Center, Inc. aka Lorman Education Services
Participation in seminar presentation, “Advanced LLC Issues”, sponsored by National Business Institute (TM).
Seminar presenter, "Effective Board Leadership, Not for Profit Organizations", sponsored by The Center on Nonprofit Effectiveness (C-ONE) Miami.
Participation in seminar presentation, "Mastering Mergers and Acquisitions", sponsored by National Business Institute (TM).
Participation in panel in seminar, "Mergers, Acquisitions and Conversions"; presentation and materials in seminar, "Opinion Letters after 2001 ABA Guidelines"; materials regarding "The Private Offering Exemption" in seminar, "3rd Annual Internet Law and Representation of Technology Companies"; presentation and materials regarding mergers in seminar, "Florida Corporations 1985", all sponsored by the Continuing Education Committee and the Business Law Section, The Florida Bar
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: six
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Nonprofit corporation governance; securities legal malpractice; mergers and acquisitions legal malpractice; legal ethics; conflicts of interest
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: None as forensic consultant; twice as a party litigant or factual witness
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Never otherwise than as a party litigant in 1982 and a factual witness in 2011
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: None
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Seven
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Legal research; legal ethics rules and commentary research; consulting; preparation of affidavit, memorandum or report; testifying in deposition and at hearing
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $400 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $400 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $500 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $500 per hour
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenes, including among others parking, postage, courier, delivery, photocopying, reproduction, recording in electronic media, computer research (e.g., Lexis or Westlaw), other research materials unique to the instant expert witness services, and gasoline, airfare, train and other transportation, lodging and meals expenses for travel outside Miami-Dade and Broward Counties, FL (except, no gasoline, airfare, train or other transportation, lodging or meal charge for attendance at meetings, depositions or hearings in New York City if I am in New York City otherwise than for or in connection with the instant expert witness services).
- Florida Not For Profit Corporation Act 2009 Amendments
- Understanding The World of Minority Rights And Fiduciary Obligations
- Walking The Ethical Line
- ARTICLES OF ORGANIZATION AND OPERATING AGREEMENT PROVISIONS MODIFYING DEFAULT PROVISIONS OF NEW YORK LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY LAW
- THE TITLE “MANAGING MEMBER” UNDER THE FLORIDA REVISED LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY ACT
- SOME JUDICIAL OPINIONS SINCE 2015 AFFECTING FLORIDA LLCS
- To LLC or Not To LLC: Florida Update
References and a list of forenic consulting prior engagements are available upon request.