Justin D. Watts
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County), CA 92688
EXPERT IN CONSTRUCTION DEFECTS, REAL ESTATE HOME INSPECTIONS, AND INSPECTOR STANDARDS OF CARE - Over 40,000 + Building Inspections completed in all trades
Active: City Senior Building Inspector - City of Westminster, California - 2004 to Present
American Dream Home Inspection, Real Estate Home Inspector and Consultant, Expert Witness
Previous - Code Enforcement Officer - City of Fountain Valley, California, 2000 to 2004
Expert Testimony - Home Inspections, Code Violations, Building Inspection, Real Estate Inspection, Construction Defects, Habitability Codes, Health and Safety Codes, Uniform Building Code
Education: Bachelor's of Science, California State University Long Beach
Justin D. Watts has a diverse inspection background performing thousands of residential, commercial and industrial inspections in evaluation of all construction trades including structural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing code compliance and construction defects. Mr. Watts has been employed by two government agencies as a Certified Building Inspector and Code Enforcement Officer. As the owner of American Dream Home Inspection, performed thousands of property inspections for home buyers in real estate transactions. Since 2007, he has provided litigation support for dozens of cases for law firms with an approximate 50/50 plaintiff and defendant client ratio. Mr. Watts has testified numerous times in depositions and court trials.
- Building Codes
- Commercial Real Estate
- Home Inspections
- Land Use & Zoning
- Plumbing & HVAC
- Premises Liability
- Residential Real Estate
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certifications:
International Code Council – ICC California Commercial Building Inspector
International Code Council – ICC California Residential Building Inspector
State of California – Safety Assessment Program – CA DSW local ID#63255
National Association of Certified Home Inspectors, Certified Member since 2004
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: International Code Council (ICC)
International Association of Home Inspectors (InterNachi)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Consultations with real estate professionals and attorneys regarding construction defects, inspector standards of care, real estate inspection practices.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: None.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 35+ cases for litigation support for plaintiffs and defendants 50/50 ratio approximately. High majority of cases work have settled out of court after litigation support provided.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Home Inspection, Construction Defects, Inspector Standards of Care, Building Inspection, Habitability and substandard housing, City Building Inspector and Code Enforcement standards of care and practices.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50% approximately.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50% approximately.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 5+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Years: 2021 testified at trial, 2019 Depositions.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 5+
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 5+
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 2007, I have provided litigation support as an Expert including testifying as needed in depositions and at Judge and Jury Trials.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Site inspections, Consulting, Expert Witness Testimony, Comprehensive Inspection Reports with Professional Photography and Illustrations.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Free consultation to review case and determine if my expertise is the right fit for your case depending on information and facts presented.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $225
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $575
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $575
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Fees for time worked are divided into litigation support and testifying. Please contact me if you have any questions at (949) 331-2602.
Law Offices of Deborah Vasquez
Debora Vasquez, Attorney
600 W Santa Ana Blvd Ste 955, Santa Ana, CA 92701
Buchalter Law Office
Brandon Q. Tran, Senior Counsel
18400 Von Karman Avenue, Suite 800
Irvine, CA 92612