J. Armand Musey, JD/MBA, CFA, is the president and founder of Summit Ridge Group LLC. Armand specializes in financial analysis and valuation in the satellite, media and telecommunications industries. A former top-ranked Wall Street research analyst, he has a unique blend equity research, investment banking and consulting experience since 1997. Armand has completed dozens of financial valuation, strategic analysis, business development, corporate governance and business plan creation assignments in the communications industry. He also has experience working on numerous financing, M&A transaction and litigation support assignments.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Valuation
- Business, Financial & Marketing
- Intangible Assets Appraisal
- Lost Profits
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: BA (with Honors) - University of Chicago;
MA - Columbia Univeristy;
MBA - Kellogg Graduation School of Management (Northwestern University);
JD (Cum Laude) - Northwestern University School of Law;
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA);
Completed American Society of Appraiser's business valuation and intangible asset valuation curriculum; and
Passed national Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) exam.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: CFA Institute;
New York Society of Security Analysts;
American Society of Appraisers; and
The Federal Communications Bar Association.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: May 24th 2016. High Throughput Satellite Roundtable, Washington, DC. Summit Ridge Group president, J. Armand Musey spoke on a panel titled, “Focus on Mobility – Following the Money.” Other panelists included, David Helfgott, CEO, Phasor Solutions; Joe Spytek, CEO, ITC Global; Timothy Shroyer, Chief Technology Officer C4ISR, General Dynamics Mission Satellites, and Sima Fishman, Managing Director, Euroconsult (Moderator).
Armand Musey, Founder, Summit Ridge Group
March 7th, 2016. Satellite 2016. Washington, DC. Summit Ridge Group president, J. Armand Musey spoke on a panel titled, “Satellite’s Response to Evolving Media Habits: Streaming, Over-The-Top (OTT) and Bandwidth Demand.” Other panelists include: Jimmy Schaeffler, Chairman & CSO, The Carmel Group (Moderator); Lisa Hobbs VP, Commercial Portfolio Strategy, Compression, Ericsson; Mr Gerard Faria,CTO, Teamcast; Paul Scardino, Senior Vice President, Globecomm; Scot Loach, CTO, Aterlo Networks; and Thomas van den Driessche, CCO, Newtec.
February 2nd, 2016. 5th Annual Americas Spectrum Management Conference, Washington DC. Summit Ridge Group president, J. Armand Musey, moderated a panel titled: “Delivering secure, reliable and efficient public safety spectrum.” Panelists included, TJ Kennedy, President, FirstNet; Luis Lara, Director, Government Affairs, Spectrum and Regulation LATAM, Motorola Solutions ; Luis Lucatero, Independent Spectrum Expert; Steven K. Berry, President & CEO, CCA; and Michael McMenanim, Principal , Winning Strategies Washington DC. Summit Ridge Group, LLC is also proud to have been a sponsor of the conference.
January 18th, 2016. PTC 2016. Honolulu, Hawaii. Summit Ridge Group President, J. Armand Musey, spoke on an executive insight roundtable titled, “Will New Platforms for Internet Access Change Everything?.” Other panelists included, Gary Kim, Founder, Spectrum Futures (moderator); Reza Arefi, Director, Spectrum Strategy, Intel Corporation, USA; H Sama Nwana, Executive Director, Dynamic Spectrum Alliance, and Founder & Director, Atlantic Telecoms & Media, USA; and Peter Stanforth, CTO & Co-founder, Spectrum Bridge Inc., USA.
November 11th, 2015. SatCon, New York, NY. Summit Ridge Group president, J. Armand Musey, moderated a panel titled, “The $100 Billion Question: Who Gets the Spectrum.” Panelists included: Bazelon, Coleman Coleman Bazelon,
The Brattle Group; Caldwell, Winston Winston Caldwell, Vice President, Spectrum Engineering, Advanced Engineering, Fox Networks Group;Alexander Gerdenitsch, Senior Principal Engineer, Regulatory Affairs
EchoStar; and Gerald Oberst, Senior Vice President, Global Regulatory & Governmental Strategy, SES.
June 18th, 2015. HTS & the Mega LEO Wildcard: The DC Roundtable, Washington, DC. Summit Ridge Group president J. Armand Musey spoke on a panel titled: “The Gloves are off: Let’s Step Outside.” Other panelists include: Brendan Murray, Product Manager – Commercial SatCom, Avascent; and Veena Rawat, Senior Spectrum Advisor, GSMA.
November 13th, 2014. 4th Annual Americas Spectrum Management Conference, Washington, DC. Summit Ridge Group president, J. Armand Musey moderated a panel titled, “Spectrum Licenses – Is there a need to rethink geographical aspects of license awards?” Panelists included: Erin Fitzgerald, Associate at Bennet & Bennet PLLC; Johanne Lemay, co-president of LYA Associates, Blaise Scinto, Chief of Broadband Division of the FCC, and Scott J. Wallsten, Senior research Fellow at Technology Policy Institute,
November 2014 Dentons' Space Law Colloquium, Washington, D.C. Summit Ridge Group, LLC president and founder, J. Armand Musey, CFA participated on a panel related to satellite financing.
October 23rd, 2014. Space & Satellite Regulatory Colloquium, Washington, DC. Summit Ridge Group president, J. Armand Musey spoke on a satellite finance panel. Other panelists included: Elizabeth Evans, Partner, Dentons (Moderator); John Stone, Partner, Near Earth, LLC and William Schuster, consultant.
September 13th, 2014. TPRC (Telecom Policy Research Conference), Washington, DC. Summit Ridge Group president, J. Armand Musey co-presented a paper with co-author Aalok Mehta titled, “Overestimating Wireless Demand: Policy and Investment Implication of Upward Bias in Mobile Data Forecasts” at this premier policy conference.December 2014. Spectrum Americas, Washington, D.C. Summit Ridge Group, LLC president and founder, J. Armand Musey, CFA moderated a panel discussion regarding spectrum auctions.
December 19th, 2012. Crossfire Media, Washington, D.C. Incentive Auctions: What the Broadcasters Need to Know. Wednesday December 19, 2012. Summit Ridge Group, LLC president and founder, J. Armand Musey, CFA moderated a panel discussion titled: Legal Perspective: TV Incentive Auction Reverse Auction Process. Panelists included: Dr. Coleman Bazelon, the Brattle Group; Prof. Thomas Hazlett, George Mason School of Law; Dr. Mark Fratrik, BIA Kelsey.
November 8th, 2012. Columbia Law School, New York, NY. Summit Ridge Group, LLC president and founder J. Armand Musey will present his paper “Broadcasting Licenses: Ownership Rights and the Spectrum Rationalization Challenge“ as part of a speaker series.
October 5th 2012. SuperWiFi Summit, Austin, TX. Summit Ridge Group, LLC president and founder J. Armand Musey, CFA presented on a panel titled, “Crystal Ball – White Spaces 2018.” Other panelists included: Gregory J. Herman, President - Spectrum Evolution; Barlow Keener (Moderator), Principal - Keener Law Group; Marty Stern (Moderator), Partner – K&L Gates LLP; Rick Whitt, Global Head for Public Policy and Government Relations - Motorola Mobility LLC.
October 4th 2012. Super WFi Summit, Austin, TX. Summit Ridge Group, LLC president and founder J. Armand Musey, CFA presented on a panel titled, “Incentive Auctions: Looming Battles, or Burgeoning Partnerships.” Other panelists included: Vanu Bose, CEO - Vanu, Inc.; Jim Carlson, CEO - Carlson Wireless; Rod Dir, CEO - Spectrum Bridge; Paul Garnett, Director -Technology Policy; Microsoft; Rick Whitt, Global Head for Public Policy and Government Relations - Motorola Mobility LLC.
March 6, 2012. Association for Law Property and Society Annual Meeting, Georgetown Law Center – Washington, D.C.. Summit Ridge Group, LLC president and founder, J. Armand Musey, CFA presented an academic paper at this conference.
June 2008. Washington Space Business Roundtable, Washington, DC. Summit Ridge Group, LLC president and founder J. Armand Musey, CFA presented a talk titled, “Trials & Pitfalls of Communicating from the Top of the World.”
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Five.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: satellite communications;
financial and valuation analysis of satellite related companies;
wireless spectrum valuation; and
equity research methods and standards (for an insider trading case).
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 40%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: six times (twice in cases where I was a fact witness)
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: March, 2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Three times
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Twice
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 10 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, reports and testimony (deposition and in court).
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $450.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $450.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $550.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $550.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Non-productive travel at half-rate ($225/hr). Office and administrative expenses (e.g. copying, printing etc) are covered via a 10% administrative surcharge to hourly billing. Non-ordinary expenses passed through at cost.
Mr. Patrick Campbell
2001 K Street
Washington, DC 20006
Mr. Steven Coran
Lerman Senter, LLP
2000 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
Mr. John K. Hane
1200 Seventeenth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Mr. Trey Hanbury
555 Thirteenth Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20004
Ms. Jennifer Hindin
Wiley Rein, LLP
1776 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
Mr. Paul Kirsch
Shopoff Cavallo & Kirsch LLP
601 Montgomery Street, Suite 1100
San Francisco, CA 94110
Mr. Phillip Spector
1850 K. Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
(Note: Mr. Spector is former General Counsel of Intelsat and former head of Paul Weiss’s communications practice)
Mr. Marty Stern
1601 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
Mr. Brian D. Weimer
Partner and Communications Practice Leader
Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
1300 I Street, N.W.
11th Floor East
Washington, DC 20005
Updated August 2015