Hayden Burrus, FCAS, MAAA is an accomplished casualty actuary with decades of leadership experience in the insurance industry. Former President of Casualty Actuaries of the Southeast, Chief Actuary of publicly traded workers' compensation insurance company, actuarial experience at multiple insurance rating organizations (National Council on Compensation Insurance (NCCI) and Insurance Services Office (ISO)), Mr. Burrus is experienced with all sides of the insurance industry.
Recent assignments include actuarial malpractice, analysis of rate filings and form filings, regulatory support for insurance companies, self-insurers, and regulatory and rate filing submissions.
Recent assignments have focused on the following insurance lines of business: workers' compensation, automobile liability, prepaid legal services, and homeowners' insurance.
Mr. Burrus is highly skilled at taking complex insurance and actuarial calculations and decisions and making them easy to understand.
Areas of Expertise
- Actuary - Actuarial
- Auto Insurance
- Financial Planning
- Liability Insurance
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society,
Member of the American Academy of Actuaries
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Member of Florida Association of Self Insurers
Authorized to certify loss reserves for captive insurers by the Vermont and South Carolina Departments of Insurance.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Florida Association of Self Insurers - 2010, 2012, 2014 Annual Meeting - Actuarial Reviews - Doing Your Part to Get Better Results
North Carolina Association of Self Insuerers
South Carolina Association of Self Insurers
Casualty Actuarial Society Annual Meeting - 2005 - Issues for a Small Insurance Company Actuary
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 10
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: actuarial reserving, actuarial malpractice, actuarial standards, insurance company rate filings, insurance company remediation plan, insurance company excess profits calculation, cemetery perpetual care analyses
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2018
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 18
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: consulting, actuarial analyses
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 535
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 535
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: depositions are usually provided on a flat fee basis.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: testimony provided on a flat fee basis.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: all expert witness related expenses are "pass thru" to the client with no markup.
David J. Berardinelli
644 Don Gaspar Avenue
PO Box 1944
Santa Fe, NM
301 Yamato Road #1240
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Fost Brown Todd
250 W. Main Street, Suite 2800
Lexington, KY 40507-1749