Gerald Dworkin is a professional Aquatics Safety & Water Rescue Consultant for Lifesaving Resources, LLC, a company dedicated to drowning and aquatic injury prevention and emergency management. Dworkin has written and published over 40 articles and has presented at numerous regional, state, and national Fire, Rescue, EMS, Aquatic or Recreation Conferences throughout the U.S. He has also presented at international conferences.
Dworkin has an extensive background in Aquatics Safety, Water Rescue, Ice Rescue, and pre-hospital EMS, Public Safety and Rescue, and is currently a Firefighter/EMT with the Kennebunkport Fire Department. He has consulted in numerous drowning and aquatic injury litigation cases as both a Plaintiff and Defense Expert Witness, and has appeared as a subject matter expert for numerous national media broadcasts, including CNN; MSNBC News; ABC's Good Morning America; NBC's Today Show; CBS' Early Show; The Weather Channel; and The Discovery Channel.
Dworkin is a graduate from the University of Bridgeport, Connecticut, and has experience as a Professional and Volunteer Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), and has worked and consulted for the American Red Cross as a Health and Safety Services Professional/Consultant. As a frequent guest speaker and trainer in the Lifeguard and Aquatics Safety and Recreation sector, as well as the Public Safety and Rescue sector, Gerry Dworkin is considered an expert and qualified educator throughout the country and internationally.
Mr. Dworkin's area of expertise is in Lifesaving, Lifeguarding, and Aquatics Safety; Water Rescue and Ice Rescue; and CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation), Basic Life Support, Drowning and Aquatic Injury Prevention, and EMS (Emergency Medical Services). As an expert witness, Mr. Dworkin evaluates the Standard of Care as it pertains to Incident Prevention, Victim Recognition, and Emergency Management and provides accident reconstruction, depositions, written reports, and courtroom testimony.
Dworkin has served on the Board of Directors for the National Drowning Prevention Alliance, and currently serves on Advisory Committees for the International Swimming Hall of Fame and the American Red Cross. He is also a member of the National Water Safety Congress and the United States Lifesaving Association.
Areas of Expertise
- Accident Investigation
- Accident Reconstruction
- Admiralty & Maritime
- Amusement Parks
- Child Safety
- Cruise Lines
- Disaster Management
- Emergency Medical Services
- Hotel Security
- Labels & Warnings
- Personal Injury
- Pools & Spas
- Premises Liability
- Safety Equipment
- School Safety
- Sports & Recreation
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: • B.S. Degree in Health and Physical Education
• Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-B)
• Certified as NFPA Firefighter I, II, III
• Water Rescue Technician Instructor/Instructor Trainer
• Ice Rescue Technician Instructor/Instructor Trainer
• Swiftwater Rescue Technician Instructor/Instructor Trainer
• CPR/AED Instructor (American Safety & Health Institute)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Kennebunkport Fire Department
American Safety & Health Institute
National Drowning Prevention Alliance Past Board Member
International Swimming Hall of Fame (Advisory Board)
American Red Cross, National Headquarters (Advisory Board)
National Water Safety Congress
United States Lifesaving Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Have conducted training programs throughout the United States, as well as Internationally, at Fire, Rescue, EMS, and Recreation/Aquatic Conferences. Have also conducted training for state Health Departments; local and state Parks and Recreation Departments or Associations; Municipal Fire and EMS Agencies; Private Clubs and Municipal Pools/Beaches; Club Managers Associations (state, regional and national); and the Florida Justice Association.
Have also appeared as a subject matter expert for CNN; MSNBC News; ABC's Good Morning America; NBC's Today Show; CBS' Early Show; The Weather Channel; and The Discovery Channel.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 300 cases
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: • Aquatics Safety
• Water Rescue and Survival
• Ice Rescue and Survival
• Swiftwater Rescue and Survival
• Drowning and Aquatic Injury Prevention
• Emergency Management of Drowning/Near-Drowning
• CPR and Pre-hospital Resuscitation
• Pre-hospital EMS Response
• Lifeguard Training and Operations
• Aquatic Facility Management and Operations
• Drowning Prevention
• Water Safety
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 85%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 15%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 250
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: October 2015
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Approximately 180
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Approximately 150
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 30 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: • Consulting
• Site inspections and Incident Investigation
• Powerpoint/Keynote Presentation Development
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $300 per hour. $1,500 for depositions conducted in my office for up to 5 hours. Site inspections, trials, or other activities outside of my office are billed at $3,000 per day, plus travel and lodging expenses.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $300 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $1,500 for depositions conducted in my Kennebunkport office for up to 5 hours and $300 for each additional hour; or $3,000 per day for depositions conducted outside of my office, plus travel and lodging expenses.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $3,000 per day plus travel and lodging expenses.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: • Support services are charged at the rate of $25 per hour.
• Exact travel expenses are charged for any out-of-office travel requirements
Michael A. Haggard
Haggard, Parks, Haggard & Bologna
330 Alhambra Circle
Coral Gables, FL 33134
Cross, Poole, Goldasich & Fischer
1416 Greensboro Ave.
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
J. Guerra Law Firm
c/i Jesse E. Guerra, Jr.
7551 Callaghan Rd., Suite 100
San Antonio, TX 78229