Dr. Edwards is an expert in computer software, Internet applications, web technologies, wireless and mobile devices, digital video and multimedia, and GPS and mapping systems, and he has testified both by deposition and in federal court as an expert witness in those areas. Dr. Edwards has served as an expert in International Trade Commission (ITC) investigations and USPTO patent re-examinations, in addition to federal and state court cases.
In addition to his expert witness work, Dr. Edwards has more than a decade of experience as a scientist, engineer, and technical consultant to academic research labs, government agencies, technology companies, and attorneys. Dr. Edwards has authored dozens of articles and papers related to software engineering for scientific journals and industry magazines. Dr. Edwards also teaches both undergraduate and graduate-level software engineering courses at the University of Southern California.
- Computer Security
- Data Communications
- Electronic Discovery
- Information Technology
- Software Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: I hold a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Southern California, a M.S. in Computer Science from the University of Southern California, and a B.S. in Computer Science with a Minor in Mathematics from Vanderbilt University.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I have delivered numerous invited lectures, seminars, and technology demonstrations at computer science conferences and software industry events. I have served as a panelist at technology forums and symposia, acted as a reviewer for journals and magazines, and been a committee member for academic conferences. I currently teach both undergraduate and graduate-level courses on software engineering at the University of Southern California and previously taught a three-week training course for software engineers at Infosys Technologies, Limited.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained as an expert in over two dozen cases, more than half of which were patent infringement matters. The other types of cases I have worked on include software copyright infringement suits, breach-of-contract matters, and disputes arising from software malfunctions. Please reach out to me via phone (323-545-3933) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to hear more about my expert witness experience.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: My area of expertise is software. One of my strengths is my ability to rapidly analyze large code bases and design documents, extract relevant information about the software's structure and behavior, and explain the results of my analysis in plain English, without a lot of technical jargon.
I have a broad background in software design and development. I am experienced in the following technologies:
-Programming languages and platforms: Java, C/C++, C#, Perl, Python, PHP, .NET, WinForms, WPF, Eclipse, Visual Studio, Java EE, CORBA.
-Mobile devices and applications: Android, iOS, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Palm OS, Java ME.
-Multimedia: MPEG, SVG, DVR, Silverlight, Flash.
-Operating systems and servers: UNIX, Linux, Windows, Mac OS.
-Networking: IMAP, POP, SMTP, DNS, TCP/IP, HTTP.
-Databases: RDBMS, SQL, MS SQL Server, MS Access, Oracle, MySQL.
-Project management and development methods: Kanban, Lean software development, agile, object-oriented (OO), aspect-oriented programming (AOP), component-based development, COTS integration, requirements engineering, spiral model, UML.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: About half.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: About half.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: I have been deposed as an expert multiple times in lawsuits involving software intellectual property, including patents, copyrights, and trade secrets. As just one example, I was deposed as an expert in Internet and web technologies in a patent case relating to virtual affiliate networks.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: I have testified in federal court as an expert in computer software multiple times. For example, I testified at a Markman hearing in a patent case and at a preliminary injunction hearing in a trade secrets case. Please reach out to me via phone (323-545-3933) or email (email@example.com) to hear more about my deposition and courtroom testimony experience.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: I perform all types of software consulting and analysis, including:
-Source code analysis and review
-Technical design documentation analysis and review
-Software development process audit and assessment
-Investigation of software failure
-Software patent analysis
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: My hourly rate is lower than most experts, and is generally negotiable. I charge a single rate for all services.
I am pleased to provide references from clients, colleagues, software experts, and attorneys on request. Here are a couple testimonials from past clients:
"Dr. Edwards has a deep understanding of computer technology and doesn’t hesitate to dive into technical minutia in support the case. Dr. Edwards also has court room presence, testifies clearly, and effectively distils complex concepts to basics. In a recent project, Dr. Edwards lead a source code review of approximately 100 million lines of code, mapped relevant components across hundreds of versions, and drafted a succinct report tying it all together. Dr. Edwards will be my first call for the next case."
— Ben Maskell, Fox Rothschild LLP
"Dr. Edwards provided excellent expert analysis for our client, a software development company, in a contract dispute before the Southern District of New York. Dr. Edwards' work greatly contributed to a successful result for our client."
— Jennifer Greenblatt, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
"Dr. George Edwards provided a comprehensive and thorough analysis of my client’s software in preparation of trial. His expertise helped facilitate an amicable resolution in a hotly contested case."
— Michelle Davoli, Smith Sovik Kendrick & Sugnet, PC
"I was impressed with Dr. Edwards’s ability to understand the technology and patents despite coming onto the case on short notice and on an extremely expedited trial schedule. He and his team provided thorough source code review in a very efficient manner. I highly recommend him and look forward to working with him again."
— Patrick Lai, Schiff Hardin LLP
Click here to read more about my experience and download my complete CV: