30+ years in the design and testing of software, firmware, and hardware. (Firmware: software that runs machines and devices.) 15 years with Hewlett-Packard’s LaserJet printer design lab. Named inventor in 12 US patents. Author of the key textbook in hardware/firmware interface design, newsletters, and other articles. IEEE (Senior member), Phi Kappa Phi. Bachelors and masters in electrical engineering.
Expert witness experience includes cases that have involved patents, copyrights violations, trade secrets, and other intellectual property as well as defective products. Expert witness work includes examination of software source code and hardware designs, and reverse-engineering designs of others. Have written expert reports and testified at depositions.
- Electrical Engineering
- Forensic Engineering
- Intellectual Property
- Printing & Publishing
- Software Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Masters of Science, Engineering, Utah State University, 1985.
Bachelors of Science, Electrical Engineering, Brigham Young University, 1983.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: IEEE, senior member.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Over 30 presentations at industry conferences, training, and webinars in hardware/firmware interfaces, writing reusable software, testing, and other topics. See CV for specifics.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Alleged infringement of patents, copyrights, trade secrets, and intellectual property; unauthorized use of software source code; product reliability and liability; breach of contract; and substandard work and products. Industries include printers, video games, social media, server software, and commercial equipment.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, testing, reports, software source code examinations, hardware design examinations, software code copying, copyright and patent infringement, and trade secret misappropriation.
References upon request.