Dr. Ewen C Todd
Okemos, MI 48864
Ewen C. D. Todd is President of Ewen Todd Consulting LLC and former Director of the National Food Safety and Toxicology Center and Professor at Michigan State University (MSU). He coordinated research in microbiology, toxicology, epidemiology, risk assessment, social science, and policy in the area of food safety, distance education programs, and outreach in the community. Before that he was in the Bureau of Microbial Hazards, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa where he was a research scientist for 33 years working on methods development for pathogens in foods, foodborne disease investigation and reporting, costs and surveillance of disease, illnesses caused by seafood toxins, and risk assessment of foodborne pathogens. He has been an expert witness in over 30 cases.
- Tourism & Travel Industry
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: BSc Hons, Bacteriology (Glasgow); PhD in bacterial systematics (Glasgow)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: He is active in the International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) and other organizations, and speaks and organizes symposia at national and international meetings. He is Editor-in-Chief of the Elsevier Encyclopaedia on Food Safety and Associate Editor for the Journal of Food Science of the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) and is a frequent reviewer of manuscripts submitted to several different scientific journals. He has been, and is currently, an expert witness both for the plaintiff and defendant in foodborne illness cases.
Dr. Todd has received the Government of Canada Distinctive Service Award for extraordinary teamwork and support to the Science and Technology Community; Recipient of the Excellence in Science Award for 1998 by Health Canada; Deputy Minister’s Award of Team Excellence for the work done in promoting the Fight BAC! Campaign in Canada; the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada Gold Medal for Pure and Applied Science; and he is Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the IAFP, and the MSU University Outreach & Engagement. He is also an Honorary Life member of the IAFP. He is a Certified Food Technologist (IFT).
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Research in food microbiology and food safety (1968-present); writing scientific papers, organizing and speaking at conference symposia, teaching: lectures and on-line courses (2001-present) [microbial and chemical risk assessment and seafood toxins, climate change and food safety].
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: He has been expert witness in 30 cases in both the U.S. and Canada where foodborne illnesses have occurred. He has testified on the behalf of plaintiffs who suffered from E. coli O157:H7, Campylobacter, Salmonella, ciguatoxin fish poisoning, yeast, allergens and unknown agents. He has also represented defendants in two illness cases, and cases between companies involving food safety and quality. Most cases are settled out-of-court.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Foodborne disease (food poisoning); food contamination problems with restaurants and food processing plants.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 80%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 20%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 16
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Most cases settled before court appearance but survived a Daubert challenge
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Once in court
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Mostly since 2001 but 3 cases in the 1980s and 1990s.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, expert witness; site inspections; document review
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $450 except for initial call
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $450
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $450 for minimum of 2 hours
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $450
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel: typically 50% of hourly rate but open to discussion
Mr. Christopher J. Trainor.
Christopher Trainor & Associates
9750 Highland Road
White Lake, MI 48386
Mr. Patrick J. Giese
Tomasik Kotin Kasserman
161 N. Clark Street, Suite 3050
Chicago, Illinois 60601
T: (312) 605-8800
F: (312) 605-8808