Expert witness in property management issues for all types of commercial and residential real estate. Experience in arbitration, litigation, lease terms, personal injury, property damage, security, standards of care, and due diligence. Retained as expert witness/consultant in over 980 lawsuits.
Please see CV for more extensive information.
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Real Estate
- Premises Liability
- Property Management
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Broker
- Real Estate Leasing
- Real Estate Malpractice
- Residential Real Estate
- Retail Real Estate
- Slip, Trip & Fall
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified Property Manager (CPM) by the Institute of Real Estate Management
Certified International Property Specialist (CIPS) by the National Association of Realtors
Certified Management Consultant (CMC) by the Institute of Management Consultants
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: President, Northern California Foresnic Expert Witness Assoication, 2004.
National President, Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM), 1980.
Secretary General, World Property Management Committee, International Real Estate Federation, 1992.
President, USA Chapter, World Federation of Real Estate Brokers (FIABCI), 1989.
World Chairman, Property Management, International Real Estate Federation, 1983.
Elected to IREM’s Academy of Authors, 1982.
Chairman, Education Committee – International Operations Committee, 1992.
Reciprocal Director appointed and representing the National Association of Realtors for New Zealand 1997-1998, Israel 1999-2005.
Past Member, Board of Directors of the National Multi-Housing Council.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Past Dean and Instructor, Institute of Real Estate Management, BDM 601 Business Development Strategies for Real Estate Management Companies.
Course HRS603 Leadership for Today’s Real Estate Manager. Prerequisite for the Accredited Management Organization (AMO).
Past Instructor, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, School of Commerce (Real Estate Management).
Lecturer at College of San Mateo.
Instructor, National Association of Realtors International Operations Committee.
Instructor, National Apartment Association.
Co-author – “Managing and Leasing Residential Properties” – John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Speaker - The Real Estate Institute of Canada Apartment Association.
National Real Estate Investor, Property Managers Confront Problems Around the World.
Business Facilities, The world’s cities achieve higher stands… slowly.
Mortgage Banking, Apartment Investing…Climate for Success.
Tax Shelter Digest, Pick Winners Like the Pros.
Journal of Property Management
* Long Distance Management Emerging Concepts Proves Profitable
* The International Role of Property Management
* Real Estate Cycle: An argument for Raising Rents
* Implementing Selected Energy Conservation Methods
* Analysis of the Current Housing Situation
* The Laundry Rooms Hidden Profits
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: Never
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 980 for both plaintiff and defense
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Across all type of properties
* Multi-family properties
* Large urban apartment complexes
* Shopping malls
* Motels and Hotels
* Office Buildings
* Office and mixed-use complexes
For many types of cases
* Safety Regulations
* Tenant and Landlord Rights
* Standards of Care
* Slips, Trips and Falls
* Security and Lighting
* Negligence in Hiring, Supervision, and On-site Practices
* Landlord Tenant and Vendor Disputes
* Property Maintenance Best Practices and Responsibilities
* Security Deposits
* Common Area Maintenance Charges (CAM)
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: About 55%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: About 45%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Over 200
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Typically at least once a month
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 1996
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Typically I do site visits all over the country, evaluation of conditions, review of the materials, analysis, deposition, and trial support.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 2010 Rates are $300/hour for preparation and consultation,
deposition, trial or arbitration. Minimum of 3 hours.
References upon request.