David E. Hartman PH.D. ABN ABPP is an internationally known, board-certified neuropsychologist and clinical psychologist whose office is in Chicago, Illinois. Dr. Hartman maintains an active practice in medical and forensic neuropsychology, behavioral toxicology and clinical psychology. He is in great demand as a forensic neuropsychological and psychological expert who examines patients and untangles complex and disputed cases where brain functional integrity, health/medical complications and/or psychological trauma are at issue and where personality, substance use, health or secondary gain motivations might interact with claims.
His areas of particular expertise include:
• Differentiation of traumatic brain injury versus exaggeration (malingering).
• Examining cognitive and emotional function related to traumatic brain injury.
• Examination, critique and differential diagnosis in Post-Traumatic Stress Claims
• Describing the effects of toxic substances on brain and behavior (toxic torts).
• Measuring how drug or alcohol use/abuse effects cognitive and emotional function.
• Understanding the influence of medical illness and treatments on neuropsychological function.
• Differentiating good neuropsychological science and clinical practice from junk science.
• Competency to handle funds
• Competency to stand trial.
• Work fitness
• Attorney fitness
• Pain/Spinal Cord Stimulator evaluations
Areas of Expertise
- Alcohol Abuse
- Brain Injury
- Drug Abuse
- Forensic Psychology
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sanity/Trial Competency
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Ph.D., ABN ABPP-CL Illinois license 071-003149, New Mexico License 1303; Board Certified (American Board of Professional Neuropsychology, American Board of Professional Psychology - Clinical), Phi Beta Kappa
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Fellow: National Academy of Neuropsychology; member, American Psychological Association, International Neuropsychology Society
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Frequent speaker on issues related to brain injury, PTSD, symptom exaggeration, behavior (neuropsychological) toxicology, chemical sensitivity, fitness for duty, malingering
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately monthly
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Neuropsychology, Psychology, Forensic Neuropsychology, Forensic Psychology, Psychopharmacology and Drug effects on behavior, Malingering, Neuropsychological Toxicology, PTSD, Alcohol abuse, psychological trauma in the workplace. Differential diagnosis in cases with complex causation, civil and criminal evaluations, competency, sanity, ARDC attorney fitness evaluations, civil and criminal cases, bullying, workers compensation cases.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approx. 20%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approx 80%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Monthly
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: April 2008
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Approx 12 (all)
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 14
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Approx. 25 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Neuropsychological and Psychological Evaluations, Record Reviews, Consultation, IME's, Competency, Sanity, Fitness, Chronic Pain Evaluations, PTSD, Civil, Criminal, Behavioral Toxicology, Aeromedical FAA pilot certification
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $595.00/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $595.00/hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $695.00/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $695.00
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: travel time: $595.00/hr. (one way) plus two way (first class) transportation and hotel. Evaluation hours in out of office or out of state cases: $695.00/hr.
References upon request.