Mr. Yates has a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering and specializes in accident reconstruction. Current work includes the analysis and reconstruction of vehicular accidents, including vehicular dynamics and occupant restraint systems. Other ongoing projects include the investigation of industrial related accidents, product analysis, and "black box" (EDR) expertise.
BEC Consulting, LLC. focuses on forensic engineering (accident reconstruction) and consulting engineering and is also involved in the research, development and design of products and systems. Our engineering team represents a variety of engineering disciplines; mechanical, biomechanical, biomedical, civil, safety, industrial, metallurgy and materials. This diversity enables us to reconstruct a variety of types of accidents; automobile, truck, aircraft, boat, train, bicycle, ATV, product, roadway design, electrocution, fire and explosion, slip/trip and fall, "black box" (EDR), and more. The BEC services include investigation and documentation of the scene, engineering analysis, and creating all types of graphics in-house to support the engineering analysis during testimony in deposition and trial.
Areas of Expertise
- Accident Investigation
- Accident Reconstruction
- Black Box/Data Recorder
- Bus & Truck Safety/Accident
- Demonstrative Evidence/Exhibits
- Design Engineering
- Equipment & Machinery
- Forensic Engineering
- Mapping & Surveying
- Mechanical Engineering
- Products Liability
- Professional Engineering
- Safety Engineering
- Seat Belts & Air Bags
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Registrations:
State of Florida Professional Engineer No. 58819
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL - 1999
Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Specialization: Dynamics and Robotics
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA - 1995
Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, with Honor
Specialization: Dynamic Systems and Design
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Florida Engineering Society (FES)
National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Accident Reconstruction Basics, Benedict Engineering Co., Inc., August, 30, 2002
Airbag Black Boxes, Benedict Engineering Co., Inc., March 9, 2001
Accident Prevention Signs, FAMU-FSU School of Engineering
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 100
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Accident reconstruction including automobiles, tractor-trailers, motorcycles, pedestrians and bicycles and also occupant kinematics. Automotive product analysis including seatbelts, airbags, seat backs, crush and others.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 14
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: August
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 4
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 4
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 15 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, scene inspection and documentation including accurate mapping using survey gear, evidence inspection and documentation, testing, evidence storage including vehicles.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 200
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 200
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 200
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 200
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel time is billed portal to portal, travel expenses are billed. Private aircraft may be used for travel. All copies are billed, evidence storage is billed, and usage of specialized equipment is billed.
Mr. James (Jim) Kelleher
Morgan, Colling & Gilbert
20 N Orange Ave
Orlando, FL 32802
Phone #: 407-420-1414
Mr. William (Bill) Stone
Law Offices of Boone & Stone
107 College Street
Blakely, GA 31723
Phone #: 912-723-3045
Mr. Willie Gary
Mr. Lorenzo Williams
Gary, Williams, Parenti
320 S Indian River Drive.
Ft. Pierce, FL 34948
Phone #: 800-330-2832
Mr. Don Hinkle
Hinkle & Foran
1545 Raymond Diehl Road
Tallahassee, FL 32303
Phone #: 850-205-2055
Mr. Scott Dutton
Santos, Dutton, Lynott & Henry, PA
777 Harbour Island Blvd, Ste 950
Tampa, FL 33602
Phone #: 813-229-1111
Mr. Eric Hoecker
Law Offices of Figueroa Gonzalez & Hoecker
Comeau Bldg, Ste 609
319 Clematis Street
W Palm Beach, FL 33401
Phone #: 561-659-4417
Mr. Wesley (Wes) Catri
Catri, Holton, Kessler & Kessler, PA
Litigation Bldg, 3rd Floor
633 S Andrews Ave
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301
Phone #: 954-463-8593
Ms. Christina Adcock
Ms. Helen Alford
Carr, Alford, Clausen & McDonald, LLC
One St Louis Centre, Ste 5000
Mobile, AL 32202
Phone #: 251-432-1600
Mr. Jack Janecky
Janecky, Newell, Potts, et al
3300 AmSouth Bank Bldg
107 St Francis St
Mobile, AL 36602
Phone #: 251-432-8786