Captain/Colonel (USMC) J. F. Joseph
Spanish Fort, AL 36527
Joseph Aviation Consulting (JAC), offers over 50 years of worldwide aviation experience. This level of expertise includes nearly 30,000 flight hours in over 85 models of aircraft ranging from General Aviation to High-Performance Military and Air Carrier. Operational expertise includes more than 49 years experience as a flight instructor in the aforementioned aircraft types. In addition to flight experience, JAC offers 40 years of aviation accident reconstruction and analysis and has been involved with hundreds of aircraft accident/incident investigations. Further, JAC possesses over 40 years of aviation safety and standardization development.
Because of our experience, JAC can provide Accident Analysis, Aviation safety Program Development, Safety Management Systems (SMS) Integration, Flight Department Management, Flight Department Safety Culture assessment, Pilot Employment, IS-BAO accredited auditing and Expert Witness Testimony which refines, substantiates or frequently refutes prior findings. This concise methodological approach to accident analysis has proven time and again to be a formidable litigation tool.
"J" Joseph is a retired airline pilot and United States Marine Corps Colonel. Additionally, he recently retired as the Deputy Director of Aviation, Chief Pilot and Director of Flight Operations for the Texas Department of Transportation. He is an active member of the International Society of Air Safety Investigators and International Business Aviation Council (IBAC/IS-BAO). Colonel Joseph is a highly decorated Naval Aviator and is formally trained in aviation accident investigation. His distinguished career in the Marine Corps includes a tour with the United States Naval Flight Demonstration Squadron (The Blue Angels). While assigned to the team, he was the Senior KC-130 Demonstration Pilot and Squadron Safety Officer. In this capacity, he had constant exposure to the national media. Most recently, his commentary has been featured in aviation documentaries and several national and international cable-news outlets.
With this diverse and uniquely qualified background, JAC is your firms Aviation Expert.
- Accident Investigation
- Accident Reconstruction
- Human Factors
- Transportation Safety
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Designated Naval Aviator, United States Marine Corps Colonel, M.S. Public Administration-Troy State University, B.S. Aeronautical Studies-Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Designated Naval Aviation Safety Officer-United States Naval Post-Graduate School, ISBAO Fixed Wing/Maintenance Auditor, Airline Transport Pilot (Airbus-319/320/321, Fokker F-100, Lockheed L-382, EMB-500), Certified Flight Instructor/Multi-Engine Land.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Airline Pilots Association (ALPA), USAirways Pilots Association (USAPA), International Society of Air Safety Investigators (ISASI), Marine Corps Reserve Officers Association (MCROA), Blue Angels Alumni Association, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, (AOPA), United States Naval Academy Liaison Officer, Blue and Gold Association, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Alumni Association, National Business Aircraft Association, (NBAA), Member of the Board of Advisors, Texas State University-Aviation Programs, International Business Aircraft Operations, (IS-BAO), International Business Aviation Council, (IBAC), Partnership for Corporate Aviation Training(PCAT), National Aviation Transportation Association (NATA), and the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA).
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: The Smithsonian Channel, History Channel, Discovery Channel, NATGEO-Aviation Expert, (Various major airline disasters to include: Hudson River, Air France 447, Carnage in Sao Paulo, Deadly Airspace, Fatal Climb and the Northwest Airlines Christmas Bombing Attempt). Flight Department Leadership, PCAT Instructor. Instructor Pilot, USAirways Airbus 319/320/321, Senior Instructor/Evaluator KC-130 Pilot 4th Marine Aircraft Wing, Senior KC-130 Weapons and Tactics Instructor USMC, Flight Instructor-Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 100.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Aviation Expert Witness, Piloting Expert, Aviation Accident Reconstruction, Aviation Risk Management, Flight Department Auditing, Flight Department Leadership, Flight Department Safety Culture Assessment, and Pilot Employment/Wrongful Termination.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 50%.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 50%.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 25 Times.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: December 2022
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Approximately 25 times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Approximately 8 times.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Approximately 30 years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Expert witness testimony, consultation, aircraft accident analysis, pilot/crew performance, pilot employment, aviation/fixed based operator operations, hazards to navigation/flight operations, flight department leadership/safety culture assessment, and military flight operations.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $350.00/Hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $350.00/Hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $350.00/Hr. ($3,500.00 daily minimum)
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $350.00/Hr. ($3,500.00/daily minimum)
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: $150/Hour-Portal-Portal. Air Travel greater than 2 hours requires an upgrade to Business Class or next level above Economy.
Dean and Gibson, L.L.P
Suite 900 Cameron Brown Building
301 South McDowell Street
Charlotte, NC 28204
Atty. Rod Dean
Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog
2907 Providence Road
Charlotte, NC 28211
Atty. Susan Hofer
Kreindler & Kreindler, LLP
100 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017-5590
Atty. Dan Rose
Fitzpatrick & Hunt, Tucker, Pagano, Aubert,LLP
Tower 49 - 31st Floor
Twelve East 49th Street
New York, York, NY 10017
Atty. Ralph Pagano
The Lanier Law Firm
6810 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77069
Atty. Mark Lanier
Mendes & Mount
750 Seventh Ave.
NY, NY 1019-6829
Atty. Ed McMurrer
Sterns and Walker
Clocktower Building, Old Oakland
901 Clay Street
Oakland, CA 94607
Atty. Jerry Stern
Atty. Eric Steinly
Law Office of Robert Potter Jr.
5821 Fairview Road, Suite 207
Charlotte, NC 28209
Atty. Robert Potter Jr.
Kaplan & von Ohlen
120 N. LaSalle Street, 24th Floor
Chicago, IL 60602
Atty. Dan Santiago
Injijian Law Office
1506 Henry Street
Berkeley, CA 94709
Atty. Susie Injijian
Mithoff Law Firm
One Allen Center
500 Dallas Street
Houston, TX 72002
Atty. Richard Mithoff
Atty. Joe Alexander Jr.
Atty. Janie Jordan