Captain Tylawsky is a Chartered Master Mariner as recognized by the Honorable Company of Master Mariners (London). It is a mark of excellence that evidences personal eminence and expertise, superior competence and peer-recognized qualities.
-A Global specialist maritime expert on incidents involving ships while under pilotage and involving the ship's Master in pilotage waters or at sea.
-Unique expertise with perfect safety record as both an Unlimited MASTER (active) in command and Unlimited Senior STATE OF CALIFORNIA MARINE PILOT (San Francisco Bar Pilot, retired 2020).
- Expert in areas of: Ship handling Ocean/Bay/River/Narrow Channels. Docking & Undocking. ULCV (Ultra Large Container Vessel) Pilot and Pilot Electronics. Container losses at sea. Anchoring, Navigation, Bridge Teams, voyage planning, command, discipline, duties of Master, navigation rules, pilot rules, anchoring, Master/Pilot Relationship. Pilot Error. Master Error. Ocean and Pilot waters voyage/route planning, accident reconstruction and forensic investigation of navigational evidence.
- Accident Investigation
- Accident Reconstruction
- Admiralty & Maritime
- Black Box/Data Recorder
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Chartered Master Mariner (CMMar) by The Honorable Company of Master Mariners (London)
USCG Master Of Self-Propelled Vessels Not Including Auxiliary Sail of Unlimited Tonnage Upon Oceans.
First Class Pilot of Vessels of Unlimited Tonnage Upon the Waters Of San Francisco Bay From Sea to and between the Dumbarton Bridge, Stockton, And Sacramento.
Radar Observer -Unlimited
Able Seaman - Unlimited
Steward’s Department (F.H.)
INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION ON STANDARDS OF TRAINING CERTIFICATION ON WATCHKEEPING for Seafarers 1978 as amended.
The lawful holder of this Credential as endorsed below, is entitled under Title 46 (Shipping) U. S. Code to serve in the capacity or capacities specified, subject to any limitations indicated.
The Government of the United States of America certifies:
GREGORY MICHAEL TYLAWSKY has been duly qualified in accordance with the provisions of regulation(s)
III/1; II/2; II/3; II/4; II/5; IV/2; VI/1; VI/2; VI/3; VI/4; VI/5; VI/6
Of the above Convention, as amended, and has been found competent to perform the following functions, at the levels specified, subject to any limitation indicated until 06-NOV-2024.
Officer in charge of a navigational watch (OICNW).
Able Seafarer – Deck.
Rating forming part of a navigational watch (RFPNW).
Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats (PSC).
Medical First-Aid Provider.
Person in Charge of Medical Care.
Vessel Security Officer.
Vessel Personnel with Designated Security Duties.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: https://maritimexpert.com/affiliations/
Chartered Master Mariner (CMMar) by The Honourable Company of Master Mariners (London)
San Francisco Bar Pilots Retired Senior Pilot 2020
International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots
The Maritime Law Association of the United States Adjunct Member
The Nautical Institute [Associate Fellow and US West BRANCH CHAIR]
Council of American Master Mariners
The Marine Society of the City of New York
International Maritime Pilots Association
Association of Marine Underwriters of San Francisco
The American Merchant Marine Veterans Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: "Why Ships Crash" (Featured as Pilot Expert in Documentary) BBC2 and PBS "NOVA" (2021)
Operational Risks of Ultra Large Container Vessels (ULCV's) Pacific Admiralty Seminar San Diego 2022 (Speaker)
Blocking the Suez: The M/V Ever Given casualty from a Master's and Pilot's perspective Washington State Bar Association 2023 (Speaker)
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Seven over the past 2+ years since formation of Maritime Expert Group, Inc.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Piloting, Ship handling, Master/Pilot Relationship, Ship routing, Weather, Shipboard duties, anchoring, heavy weather, dragging anchor, new berth safety assessments, tug requirements for docking/undocking, cargo stability and securing, VTS, Rules of the Road, USCG, allision, cargo overboard, containers, ULCV, Ultra Large Container Ships, Shipmaster, log books, bridge equipment, rolling and pitching measurements, storm avoidance, ECDIS, Charts, Seaman, ship behaviors, parametric rolling, standard of care, doubt, pilot ladders, docking, undocking, oil spill, ocean routing services, navigation, seamanship, tug handling, accident analysis, reconstruction, Qualified Expert Work Product Opinions, Admiralty, Testimony, Case evaluation, deposition questions
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 40
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: None
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: N/A
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: None
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 2+
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Forensic Maritime Accident Analysis & Reconstruction
Qualified Expert Work Product Opinions
Expert Admiralty Testimony
Case Evaluation & Confirmation
Development of Trial & Deposition Questions
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $350 once retained. Initial consultation is not billed.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $350
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $450
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $450
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Client will be responsible for all reasonable out of pocket expenses including, but not limited to travel, testing, research, copying, storage of evidence or documents, etc.
T +1 415 323 4466
M +1 214 335 2775
F +1 415 323 4445
David C. Wright
MCCUNE LAW GROUP,
McCune Wright Arevalo Vercoski Kusel Weck Brandt APC
P: 909.557.1250 | F: 909.557.1275 | 3281 East Guasti Road, Suite 100 | Ontario, CA 91761