Brooks Hilliard has more than 40 years of computer industry experience working as a consultant, a computer industry executive, a computer systems developer and a computer and software expert witness in computer-related litigation. Having been engaged for more than 100 computer technology related cases, he is one of the country’s most experienced computer experts. He has been engaged by counsel on all sides of computer related disputes (including customers, vendors, implementers, patent holders, alleged patent infringers, former employers, current employers, etc.).
Areas of Expertise
- Data Communications
- Electronic Discovery
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Supply Chain
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified Management Consultant (CMC), Certified Computing Professional (CCP)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Institute of Management Consultants, Forensic Expert Witness Association, IEEE
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Professional Speaker for corporations and trade associations, former Faculty Associate at Arizona Statue University School of Business
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: More than 100
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Selection and implementation of business software (ERP, CRM, SCM, etc.) and associated computers and networks. Alleged software and/or implementation failures of computer/software systems for business. Business-related software patents, copyrights and trade secrets. Software licensing and system contracting. Electronic discovery, including alleged data tampering. Computer fraud. Valuation of computer systems.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 60%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 40%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: More than 50 times.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Multiple times in 2012.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Approximately 12.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: More than 30.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: More than 20.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting expert, testifying expert, expert reports (including declarations and affidavits), patent re-exam analysis, prior art research, electronic discovery.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Out of pocket expenses billed at cost. No billing for phone calls, mileage or copies (unless done by an outside service).
References upon request.