Additional Website: www.OHVtraining.org
Uhl has been qualified in state and federal courts across the nation as an Expert Witness in cases regarding ATV (all-terrain vehicle), UTV (side by side), motorcycle dirt bike, snowmobile, dual sport bike and some street bike and mountain bicycle incidents. Decades of safety training experience regarding all of these off-highway vehicles (OHVs) provides a unique advantage to attorneys. Uhl served as Expert Witness or Consultant in over 81cases during the past 13 years. Attorney references are available on request.
Uhl’s expertise includes rider, owner and manufacturer responsibilities and standards. His training client list includes every Military Special Forces branch and other governmental and corporate organizations, as well as recreation and competition operators. He helps attorneys understand Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) guidelines for ATVs, UTVs and snowmobiles. He also helps you know what is not covered in CPSC guidelines and when manufacturer omissions are related to injuries.
Uhl’s casework has included incidents regarding off-highway vehicle (OHV) rental industry companies regarding standards, how the public should be protected and adequacy / inadequacy of customer training, guide training, route preparation, etc. Injuries often occur when a tour guide is not trained to prepare customers to prevent injuries and customer training or equipment maintenance fail to meet industry standards according to manufacturers’ guidelines.
Uhl’s background in racecourse and trail construction and maintenance prepared him to testify regarding what creates or prevents OHV injuries. Uhl previously worked in R&D, co-owned an OHV retail store, was Lead Mechanic, and won 5 gold medals for the USA in international competitions. He was inducted into the International Motorcycle Hall of Fame.
Uhl offers attorneys a free, informal, 15 minute consultation about their cases.
Areas of expertise include:
-Accident investigation; also assists with reconstruction
-Safety & training issues re: riding OHVs
-Why ATV and UTV operator training is essential for operator safety
-Instructor training for new OHV instructors
-Human factors & ergonomics related to OHVs
-R&D, mechanics & safety
-Trail design, maintenance, & construction
-Practices of OHV recreational facilities
-Practices of OHV rental / tour facilities and guided tours
-Race course design
-Training Military personnel to use all of the off-highway vehicles
Uhl has been repeatedly hired and positively evaluated by a variety of corporate, government, and individual training clients, see below.
• U.S. Special Operations Command
• U.S. Defense Threat Reduction Agency
• U.S. Army Special Forces
• U.S. Naval Special Warfare
• U.S. Marines Special Operations
• U.S. Air Force Special Operations
• U.S. Air Force Security Forces
• U.S. Department of Defense Police
• U.S. Air Force Red Horse
• U.S. Forest Service (multiple years & types of vehicles)
• U.S. Coast Guard
• U.S. Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
• U.S. Marine Base Hawaii
• U.S. Army
• U.S. Military Training Center (Yakima Training Center, Washington) (multiple years & types of vehicles)
• U.S. Air Guard
• U.S. Parks Service (multiple years & types of vehicles)
• U.S. Department of the Interior
• U.S. Bureau of Reclamation
• U.S. Border Patrol
• U.S. Military Branches and Military Police (multiple years & types of vehicles)
• U.S. Federal Aviation Administration
• U.S. Bureau of Land Management (multiple years & types of vehicles)
• U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (multiple years & types of vehicles)
• U.S. Weather Service
• U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) / most of the NRCS field personnel across the state of Montana (multiple years & types of
• U.S. Military Base Fort Knox
• T-Mobile, U.S.A. (multiple years & types of vehicles)
• Quest Communications
• Honda, U.S.A. AVT test riders (multiple years)
• Tucson Power Company
• Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort (multiple types of vehicles)
• Passwords, Inc.
• Midway Gold Corporation
• Green Mountain Power Plant
• County of L.A., California
• Muckleshoot Indian Reservation
• Search & Rescue Personnel (multiple years & types of vehicles)
• Sheriff’s Offices (multiple years & types of vehicles)
• Idaho Water Science Center
• HighMount, Exploration & Production
• Kinder Morgan, Natural Gas Pipeline Company (multiple types of vehicles)
• Casa Grande Ruins National Monument
• And an array of individual clients of all ages, (on all of the different types of OHVs)
Uhl previously co-owned an OHV retail store and worked in R&D for major OHV manufacturing companies. He also directed a motocross school. Uhl possesses unique skills re: OHV vehicle design, operation, and mechanics.
- Accident Investigation
- All Terrain Vehicles (ATV)
- Failure Analysis
- Personal Injury
- UTV (Utility Vehicles, Side by Sides)
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Mr. Uhl is a Senior Instructor for OHV Training, which has been designated a "Preferred Off-Road Vehicle Training Facility." Uhl won 5 gold medals as an international professional competitor in the area in which he serves as expert witness and consultant (riding off-road vehicles -- ATVs, Quads, motorcycle dirt bikes, snowmobiles, & UTVs). His world-renowned track record led to Uhl receiving hundreds of additional awards and honors. E.g., he was inducted into the American Motorcyclists Association International Hall of Fame. Uhl has repeatedly been requested to be "The safety and skill development trainer" for government and corporate employees who use off-highway vehicles in their jobs. See Uhl's impressive client list above.
Uhl is one of the few individuals in the U.S. who has been recognized as qualified to train world-class professional competitive riders who represent the U.S. in international competitions. As evidence of his credentials to testify regarding recreational trail safety, Uhl has been recognized as a competent trail designer. He has designed and constructed safe recreational trails and has supervised the construction of such trails. Uhl is one of the few individuals in the world qualified to teach trail design, maintenance, and construction classes for multiple use trails.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Inducted into the International Hall of Fame of the American Motorcyclists Association
Named as a "Cross-Country Legend"
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Mr. Uhl is the Senior Instructor for OHV Training, designated a "Preferred OHV Riding School." Uhl has repeatedly been asked to be the trainer of an impressive client (see list above).
Uhl also conducts "Train the Trainer Classes" for government and corporate agency personnel who train other employees to ride off-highway vehicles as part of their work assignment. Uhl is one of the few individuals in the world qualified to teach trail design, maintenance, and construction classes. He previously created and directed a motocross school and taught motocross racing skills.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: None.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 90 +
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Mr. Uhl specializes in cases involving parties injured while riding/driving off-road vehicles and off-highway vehicles. This includes motorcycle dirt bikes, dual sport bikes, ATVs, quads, snowmobiles, utility vehicles (UTVs / side-by-sides), bicycles, and some street bike issues. Uhl has also been asked by attorneys to evaluate the safety and maintenance of OHV equipment, recreational trails, tour operations, and recreational facilities.
Other areas where Uhl has been retained:
(1) Accident investigation and assisting with reconstruction
(2) Safety issues related to riding / driving OHVs and training others to do so
(3) Determining what happens when people are not trained to operate an OHV
(4) Physics of riding
(5) Why off-highway vehicle (OHV) safety training is essential for operator safety
(6) Trail design, maintenance and construction
(7) Vehicle technology/mechanics
(8) Practices of OHV recreational facilities, including rental / guided tour facilities and processes
(9) Human factors and ergonomics as they relate to OHVs
(10) Operator and instructor training for all types of OHVs
(11) Race course design and maintenance issues
(12) Motocross practice and race issues / standard of care
(13) OHV dealership and manufacturer issues
(14) Motorcycle tire manufacturer issues
(15) OHV product development and testing (R&D)
(16) Under-aged kids driving or riding on or in OHVs
(17) Why ATVs and UTVs provide the illusion of safety and stability
(18) What manufacturers fail to disclose or fully disclose about their vehicles
(19) What warnings are given or not provided by manufacturers and how that either prevent or create accidents
(20) Why appropriate vehicle maintenance is essential for operator safety
(21) Why and how pre-ride / drive inspections can prevent accidents
(22) Why operators / owners manuals are provided with vehicles when purchased new and how that effects safety
(23) What responsibilities an OHV owner accepts when they choose to purchase an OHV
(24) Why safety equipment on UTVs do not protect all operators to the same degree
(25) Why is it important for OHVs to be rider active and how this improves vehicle safety
(26) Safety decals: Why are they there? Can they prevent accidents?
(27) What are contributing factors regarding why OHVs operate differently on diverse types of terrain?
(28) How maintenance logs prevent accidents
(29) Why is pre-production testing vital to the end user/operator?
(30) On UTVs, which provides the most protection: 1/2 door or cab nets?
(31) Why, when and how ATVs and UTVs can roll over on flat ground
(32) Can an all-terrain vehicle handle any type of terrain?
(33) What triggers the need for operator training?
(34) How tires play into the safety of UTVs and ATVs
(35) Can an operator or a passenger in a UTV be injured by the rollover protection device (ROPS)?
(36) Why is the owners / operators manual a must-read document for anyone in or on an off-highway vehicle?
(37) Virtually all areas related to OHV accidents
As previous co-owner of an OHV retail store, Uhl possesses unique skills and credentials re: OHV vehicle design, operation, and mechanics along with race course and trail design construction and maintenance.
Excellent references regarding Uhl's work are available from law firms and government and corporate clients. As expert witness and consultant, Uhl accurately assesses collisions, circumstances, and facts. He helps you make informed decision about your cases.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 64%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 36%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Trials, depositions, and arbitrations 26 out of 81 cases.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 9-26-19
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 20 depositions and 5 trials
I was qualified in the Superior Court of California as an expert in these areas:
1. Whether an off-road riding area was safe/dangerous.
2. Whether a severe slope (drop off) was an inherent part of off-road motorcycle riding in an OHV park
3. Whether the off-road rider was comparatively negligent (riding technique)
4. Human factors/ergonomics -- interface of motorcycle and man and motorcycle rider and environment
5. Whether the area in question constituted a trail
6. Trail construction and maintenance
Note: I have never been disqualified as an expert. Most of the 81+ cases I've assisted with have settled.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Six, I have never been disqualified as an expert. Most of the 81+ cases were settled before trial.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Over 13 years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Areas of expertise include:
-Assistance determining the merits of a case
-Accident investigation and assisting with reconstruction
-Equipment investigation or other case-related research
-Testimony in court, arbitration or at depositions as an expert
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $250.00 + expenses
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $250.00 + expenses
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $325.00 + expenses
Note: Travel is billed at $125.00 per hour for travel to site visits or depositions / trial.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $3,250.00 per day up to 10 hours per day + expenses
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Your law office will be charged as described in the Letter of Agreement. The Agreement begins with Mr. Uhl serving as a consultant or expert witness regarding a personal injury case. A $5,000 non-refundable retainer related to the case will be mailed when the law firm / agency is ready to retain the services of Mr. Uhl. (Note: Once $5,000.00 has been invoiced, the retainer becomes refundable and will be applied to the last invoice or returned.) Sending the retainer or signing The Letter of Agreement verifies that the firm / agency accepts the terms and conditions of the Agreement.
Regarding fees charged by FEA, LLC, the law firm / agency will be charged $2,500 per day (up to a 10-hour a day) for on-site visits (trips outside of the FEA, LLC home base) plus expenses. Examples of on-site time include the time involved in reviewing the site of an accident, doing accident site investigation or conducting other out-of-town research.
If Mr. Uhl is scheduled to perform work on the case at hand and that work is rescheduled or cancelled without at least eight days notice, a cancellation fee of $2,500.00 will be charged plus the cost of any related charges such as airline tickets, lodging and car rental fees not refunded. Examples include Mr. Uhl being scheduled to appear in court but a court date is suddenly rescheduled, the case settles "at the last minute" or a site visit or deposition is cancelled (after the law firm has requested that we hold specific dates on Mr. Uhl’s calendar and time has been set aside for the activity).
FEA, LLC will charge $250.00 per hour for legal work conducted by Mr. Uhl at the FEA, LLC home site, such as reviewing material sent to us by the law firm / agency or writing reports. If the intake interview with Mr. Uhl covers case content instead of only focusing on his credentials, that time will become billable when you choose him as your expert witness / consultant.
The fee for court appearances is $3,250 per day (up to a 10-hour day) plus expenses. Any court holdover days are invoiced at $2,500.00 per day plus expenses.
NOTICE TO OPPOSING COUNSEL REGARDING TAKING MR. UHL’S DEPOSITION:
When you choose to depose Mr. Uhl, your law firm formally agrees to the terms and conditions detailed in the Letter of Agreement.
Depositions are invoiced at $325 per hour. Advance payment, based on the estimated time for the deposition, must be received by FEA, LLC at least 5 days in advance of the start of Mr. Uhl’s deposition. Payment for any deposition time over your estimate, plus any remaining expenses related to the deposition, must be received by FEA, LLC within 15 days of the date of the FEA, LLC invoice.
If all the fee for a deposition is not paid by opposing counsel within 15 days of the invoicing date, the law firm /agency hiring Mr. Uhl must pay the invoice within 15 days from the date that FEA, LLC notifies said firm / agency that opposing counsel failed to pay FEA, LLC’s invoice.
Payment for Mr. Uhl’s travel time, such as the time required to fly or drive to and from a court appearance, site visits, etc., is invoiced at a discounted rate. We charge $125 per hour plus expenses.
Your firm will be invoiced when the amount due FEA, LLC exceeds the retainer received. (FEA, LLC does not routinely send monthly invoices when no balance is due because a retainer has not been exceeded.) Your firm’s retainer will be applied to the last invoice or returned if not used. Payment for each invoice is due within 15 days.
Note: if your firm disagrees with any item on an invoice sent to you and does not notify us regarding any disagreement within seven days from the email date, the charges will stand as undisputed. Invoices are to be paid after services are rendered and FEA, LLC invoices the law firm.
NOTE: To cover trial costs, a second $5,000 dollar retainer is due at least seven days before trial, if the retainer on hand will not cover the estimated costs for trial. It is not permissible to wait to pay FEA, LLC until after a case is won or settled. Delinquent payments are subject to a 10% per month compounded late charge. If unpaid invoices need to go to collections, all fees for collection, including the expert’s time, will be added to the invoice.
Note: Any legal action against or by FEA, LLC or Mr. Uhl will take place in FEA, LLC’s or Mr. Uhl’s local venue and jurisdiction.
To contact Uhl's law firm references:
These 14 attorneys have provided reference letters. If you would like to read the letters, please ask to have them emailed to you.
• The Corson & Johnson Law Firm, Don Corson, Eugene Oregon
1-541-484-2525... Street bike training accident and a UTV rollover with a child driving.
• Braun Kendrick
Frederick C. Overdier MI 1-989-399-0605 Snowmobile cases
• Cozen O'Conner, Evan B. Caplan, Philadelphia PA
1-215-665-2000, ... Motorcycle dirt bike flat track.
• Evans Craven & Lackie, Markus W. Louvier, Spokane WA ,
1-509-455-5200, ... ATV loading into back of truck.
• Law Offices of Nicholas A. Siciliano, Woodland Hills CA,
1-818-887-8895 ... Motorcycle MX track.
• Dave Williams, Esquire, Sleigh & Williams, Attorneys at Law, 364
Railroad Street, St. Johnsbury, VT 05819 (802) 748-5176 ...
• Humphries, Patterson & Lewis, Richard F. Lewis, Spokane WA,
1-509-838-4248 ...Motorcycle dirt bike MX
• The Law Office of C. Stuart Carter, Zionsville IN 46077
(317) 660-6644 ... Mountain Bicycle on man made raised structure
• Delfino, Green & Green, Bill Green, San Rafael, CA , 1- (415)
442-4646, ... Motorcycle dirt bike cycle park
• John Evans Law offices, John Evans, Scottsdale Arizona
1-480-922-3676... MC Dual sport Bike
• Rhoads Appellate Group, Steven R. Rhoads, San Rafael, CA,
415.472.5977... MC dirt bike
• Murane & Bostwick, LLC James Worthen, Casper, Wyoming
1-307-234-9345... 3 separate snowmobile guided tour cases
• Duffy + Partners, Ken Fulginiti, Philadelphia PA. 1-215-238-8700
...Product liability, motorcycle street bike tires
• Harrington, Foxx, Dubrow, & Canter, LLP, Erika N. Brenner, Orange
CA 1-714-973-4595 ...Motocross play day rider contacts fence post
Also ask for list of cases completed for more attorney contacts. Currently you will find over 81 listed.