I conceived of and co-authored The Ethics of Touch, a book on ethics, sexual trauma, and professional boundaries as well as many articles that are used as a primary text in massage schools. I’ve taught courses on communication, ethics, boundaries, sexual abuse, and working with abuse survivors. As founder and president of a massage school for 30 years I made coursework on these topics mandatory for all students. I chaired the Professional and Sexual Ethics Task Force of the Council of Schools. I have been an expert witness since 2004 and have maintained a practice for over 45 years.
Areas of Expertise
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Physical Therapy
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Harassment/Discrimination
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor of Professional Sciences, PhD in Education and Sports Injuries, Massage Therapy License, Certified Senior SAVI Trainer, approved provider of education by the National Certification Board For Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA), Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals(ABMP),
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Keynotes, presentations, seminars and workshops on ethics, boundaries, sexual abuse in the massage and bodywork field. Also dozens of courses on communication skills for health care professionals in hospitals, mental health centers in massage therapy schools.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Five
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Standard of care, ethics, boundaries and proper training in cases of sexual abuse in a spa setting.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 35%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 65%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Two
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Two or three years ago and what is coming up shortly.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 2004
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, research, reports, standards of care.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $750
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $750
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $750
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $750
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: All travel expenses
- Excerpts from The Ethics of Touch
- Power Differential
- Dual Roles and Other Ethical Considerations
- Bringing Boundaries to Bodywork
- Giving and Getting Effective Feedback
- Ethics, Values and Principles
- Core Physical Concepts
- Ethics and Self-Accountability
- Sexual Abuse Within the Health Care Field
- Discovering Your Boundary Issues
- An Excerpt From The Ethics of Touch: Special Consideration in Cases of Trauma
- Repression and Denial
- What I’ve Learned as an Expert Witness: Sexual Abuse in the Treatment Room
- Pain Points: What Practitioners Must Know before Treating Clients with Injuries
- Essential Principles Shoulder Series 3: Subscapularis Tendinitis
References upon request.