Alan M. Rapoport, M.D. is a Clinical Professor of Neurology at The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California and is a Past-President of the International Headache Society, as well as the founder and Director-Emeritus of The New England Center for Headache, in Stamford, Connecticut. He has a private practice in Headache and General Neurology in Santa Monica, CA at the California Medical Clinic for Headache. Board-certified in Neurology and Headache Medicine, he has co-authored more then 300 articles, chapters and posters on headache and other neurological conditions as well as 9 books for physicians and patients on headache. He has lectured around the country and internationally to general physicians, neurologists and headache specialists on all aspects of headache pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment and has appeared many times on national radio and television programs, such as Today, Good Morning America, CBS This Morning and 20/20.
He is an editor of Headache, CNS Drugs and Editor in Chief of Neurology Reviews, and he reviews for many peer-reviewed journals such as Cephalalgia, Neurology, New England Journal of Medicine and Headache.
Dr. Rapoport has served on the Board of Directors of the American Headache Society (AHS) and is the immediate past President of the Fairfield County Neurological Society, the Founding President of the Headache Cooperative of New England (HCNE), the founding Director of the Headache Cooperative of the Pacific (HCOP) and until recently was the Chairman of the Education and Membership Committee of the International Headache Society (IHS). He was elected to the position of President President of the International Headache Society in April 2013 and is now a Past- President. He is the co-founder of an IT non-profit company named ProMyHealth which offers on line consultations to headache patients and produces a written consultation for them to take to their physician.He is CEO of BonTriage which is an IT Health Care company that takes on line expert histories for headache and also helps screen potential patients for clinical trials.
Dr. Rapoport has testified many times in court for both defense and plaintiff and often reviews medical records and consults with attorneys and their staff. His expertise is in headache but he has been involved in personal injury and several patent cases, often related to neurological programs, headache and pain.
Dr. Rapoport has been an expert in 3 large patent infringement cases.
- Pain Management
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: MD licensed only in CA at this time
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: There are many but Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology and American Headache Society are key ones.
Immediate Past-President of the International Headache Soceity
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Professor at UCLA teaching residents and medical students.
I have given hundreds of lectures on various aspects of headache worldwide.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 150
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Personal injury, any case related to pain or headache, patent cases
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 70
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 30
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 75
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2019
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 100%
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 25
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 46
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, reports, review of records, depositions, testimony in court
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $900
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $900
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $1,000
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: TBD
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Normal travel expenses
- Chronic migraine and medication overuse headache: clarifying the current International Headache Society classification criteria
- Acute treatment of migraine headache
- Randomized controlled trial of an oral CGRP receptor antagonist, MK-0974, in acute treatment of migraine
- Medication Overuse Headache
- “Some aspects on the pathophysiology of migraine and a review of device therapies for migraine and cluster headache.”
References upon request.