Austin, TX 78703
Spencer Fomby is a retired 22-year law enforcement veteran. He is an experienced Police Captain, SWAT Commander, and Police trainer. He was the training division Captain for a medium-sized police department; responsible for the police academy, field training program, leadership development, and in-service training. He has been a police use of force instructor for 15 years in the following disciplines; Public Order, active shooter, patrol tactics, counter ambush, defensive tactics, impact weapons, less-lethal weapons, sting balls, flash bangs, chemical agents, firearms, SWAT, and de-escalation.
Spencer is the Public Order Section Chair for the National Tactical Officers Association (NTOA) and a member of the NTOA Public Order Response and Operations Standard Committee. He was selected to join a National Institute of Justice Special Technical Committee on Civil Disturbance Unit Equipment and the Department of Homeland Security First Responder Resource Group. He earned a bachelors degree in Administration of Justice from Howard University.
- Crowd Control
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Law Enforcement
- Police Procedures
- School Security
- Special Event Security
- Violent Crimes
- Workplace Violence
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: B.A. Administration of Justice, Howard University
Force Science Realistic De-escalation Instructor, 2022
FEMA Active Shooter Incident Management, 2022
ALERRT Level 1 Instructor, 2022
CATO Chemical Agent Instructor, 2020
FN 303 Instructor/Armorer, 2018
ALICE Instructor, 2018
CTS Less-lethal instructor, 2018
CTS Sting ball Instructor, 2017
CTS Chemical Agent Instructor, 2017
CTS Distraction Device Instructor, 2017
Crisis Intervention Team (CIT), 2017
Gracie Survival Tactics Level 1 Instructor, 2015
Peacekeeper Baton Instructor, 2015
Force Science Analyst Certification, 2015
NTOA Shoot house Instructor, 2013
Simunition Scenario Instructor, 2012
NTOA Active Shooter Instructor, 2011
CA POST Long Rifle Instructor, 2011
CA POST Firearms Instructor, 2010
CA POST Impact Weapons Instructor, 2009
CA POST Defensive Tactics Instructor, 2007
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: National Tactical Officers Association
California Association of Tactical Officers
Intl. Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Assoc.
Police Executive Research Forum
International Association of Chiefs of Police
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Public Order, active shooter, patrol tactics, counter ambush, defensive tactics, impact weapons, less-lethal weapons, sting balls, flash bangs, chemical agents, firearms, SWAT, and de-escalation.
MEDIA AND PUBLIC RELATIONS. Recent presentations on police tactics and use of force:
• Daigle Law Group First Amendment Summit- Public Order Response Standards, 2022
• National Tactical Officers Association Virtual Conference- Public Order Best Practices, 2022
• Daigle Use of Force Summit- Public Order Best Practices with NTOA Standards, 2021
• National Tactical Officers Association Annual Conference- Public Order, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018
• NTOA Panel Discussion- Less Lethal Munitions in Crowd Control Operations, 2021
• National Asian Peace Officers Association Conference- Public Order Policing Best Practices, 2021
• Renne Public Law Group Public Safety Reform and Innovation Webinar Series, 2021
• Daigle Law Group First Amendment Summit- Modern Crowd Control Issues, 2021
• Association of California School Administrators Annual Conference- Active Shooter, 2019
• National Alliance for Mental Illness Conference- Tactical De-escalation 2018
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 9
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Use of force, officer-involved shooting, public order, less-lethal weapons, crowd control
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 0, I am open to working with plaintiffs and prosecutors.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 75
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 5
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: September 20, 2022
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 1
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 1
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 6
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: consulting, expert witness, expert reports, policy evaluations, employee evaluations
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $300.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $300.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $450.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $3500 flat rate
Available Upon Request