Shreya Mandal JD, LCSW is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in New York State. She has twenty years of combined forensic and clinical experience, with extensive educational training and field practice. She has served over 4,000 individuals and has been to over 100 jails and prisons in the United States. Her foundational training is in capital defense mitigation. Ms. Mandal brings this model to non-capital sectors and has worked on a full continuum of felony cases in criminal defense. She collaborates with human rights organizations and law firms in both public and private sectors. Her interdisciplinary background gives her a holistic approach to trauma informed mitigation and forensic advocacy. Ms. Mandal's current forensic practices are in the areas of capital defense mitigation, criminal defense mitigation, immigration defense, and brain injury cases.
Shreya Mandal has been serving as an expert witness since 2005 and has qualified to render expert testimony in both federal and state courts. She has been qualified by judges in New York, New Jersey, and Florida. Ms. Mandal qualified as an expert witness in numerous specialty areas including, PTSD/Trauma, forensic social work, and as a mitigation expert on death penalty cases. In the immigration sector, Ms. Mandal provides cross-cultural evaluations for families facing extreme hardship and torture. She has worked with hundreds of families, leading to cancellation of removal or asylum in the United States.
Ms. Mandal received her Master of Social Work degree from Smith College School for Social Work and a Juris Doctorate degree from Rutgers Law School. She has considerable specialized post-graduate interdisciplinary training. Ms. Mandal is a graduate of Spence Trial Lawyers College. She is also a graduate of Harvard Medical School/ Harvard Program in Refugee Trauma, where she received post-graduate training in Global Mental Health, Trauma, and Recovery. Ms. Mandal is fluent in Bengali.
Since Fall, 2017 Ms. Mandal joined New York University Silver School of Social Work as an Adjunct Faculty member. She teaches Social Work & Law, Advanced Social Policy in Criminal Justice, and Advanced Social Policy in Children and Families. In addition, Ms. Mandal serves as the 3rd Vice President at the National Association of Social Workers- New York City Chapter, and is a Co-Chairperson of the NASW-NYC Immigration & Global Social Work Committee.
Shreya Mandal is a Chapter Author of Forensic Social Work: Psychosocial and Legal Issues Across Diverse Populations and Settings, Second Edition.
Areas of Expertise
- Criminal Law
- Drug Abuse
- Emotional Trauma
- Forensic Psychology
- Personal Injury
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sexual Abuse
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Global Mental Health, Trauma & Recovery, 2015
Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist, 2007
New York Licensed Clinical Social Worker, 2016
Juris Doctorate, 2003
Master of Clinical Social Work degree, 1999
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: National Association of Social Workers
Harvard Program in Refugee Trauma
New York University Silver School of Social Work
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: New York University Silver School of Social Work, Adjunct Faculty (Fall, 2017 to Present)
Social Work & Law
Advanced Social Policy in Criminal Justice
Advanced Social Policy in Children and Families
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 2000+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 1) Criminal proceedings (sex offender; felony drug cases; capital defense; non-capital felonies)
2) Immigration Proceedings (removal; Bengali Expert; psychological evaluations; hardship assessment for asylum claims.)
3) Asylum cases, mental health expert.
4) Assessment of Battered Women's Syndrome and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.
5) Social Work Expert in Personal Injury cases involving Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, mTBI
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: For Personal Injury Cases- 100%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: For Criminal Defense Cases- 100%
For Immigration Cases- 100%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 30+
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 50+
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 50+
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 13
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: consulting; reports; biopsycho-social assessments; mitigation reports; consulting; risk assessment
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $200 per hour with private counsel. I offer flate rates for non-profit/public interest law firms.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $150 per hour.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $200 per hour.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $100-200/hr depending on the level of detail and circumstances of the case. I offer flate rates for non-profit/public interest law firms.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: travel expenses should be reimbursed.
References upon request.