Dr. Adhia is a Board Certified Forensic Psychiatrist with unique expertise in Competency, impulse disorders, depression, anxiety, PTSD, anti-social personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, alcohol and drug addiction, psychopharmacology, interactions between prescription and illicit drugs, treatment of psychosis including schizophrenia. Dr. Adhia assesses psychopathic behavior and malingering. He conducts Independent Medical Examinations and a thorough review of records to render medical findings and opinions by report and testimony.
Dr. Adhia treats patients at high risk for suicide, violence, and self-harm. His patients include prison inmates on Death Row, incarcerated offenders in Isolation (Administrative Segregation) and in psychiatric prison hospital.
Institutional medicine, medical malpractice, and standard of care apply to both public and private medical care. Dr. Adhia is skilled in these med-legal issues.
Dr. Adhia is Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) teaching medical students. Dr. Adhia volunteers his services pro bono in Asylum and Human Trafficking evaluations for Physicians for Human Rights. In this regard, Dr. Adhia applies his experience to the psychiatric consequences to victims and their families of extreme acts of violence, murder, sex offenses and kidnapping.
Areas of Expertise
- Alcohol Abuse
- Drug Abuse
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sanity/Trial Competency
- Sexual Abuse
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Medical License, Texas State Board of Medical Examiners License Q0720
Board Certified in Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Board Certified in Forensic Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Physicians for Human Rights
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Academic Experience:
I am currently an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) and train medical students.
1) Clinical Decision Making - Non-emergency Compelled Medications, Poster, 9/19/17, 6th International Conference on Forensic Research & Technology, Houston, TX
2) Treatment Resistant Depression Grand Rounds, University of Texas Health Science
Center, 2012, Houston Texas
3) Psychiatry 101 Lecture, Willamette University College of Law, 3/2014, Salem Oregon
Introduction to Forensic Psychiatry Lecture, Willamette University College of
Law, 3/2014, Salem Oregon
4) Forensic Psychiatry: An Introduction Resident Lecture, University of Texas Health
Science Center, May 2015, Houston Texas
5) Civil Forensic Psychiatry Resident Lecture, University of Texas Health Science Center, May 2015, Houston Texas
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 50+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Psychiatric Malpractice
Stress of Pre-Imminent Death
Competency to Stand Trial
Competency to be Deported
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 65%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 20%
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Have testified in court over five times in 2016-2017 at the Fort Bend County Court in Texas. Have testified in an Immigration Court. Have testified in Oregon.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 10+
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 10+
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: since 2013
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Expert Witness
Independent Medical Examinations (IME)
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Will provide rates upon request.
1) Lynn Messer, P.C.
Van Stean Messer Attorneys At Law
Competency to Stand Trial
2) Feroz Merchant
The Merchant Law Firm, P.C.
Competency to Stand Trial,
3) Shiva Pal Gill,
Shiva Gill PC
Competency to be Deported (713) 333-8370
4) UA Piccolo Lewis
The Lewis Law Group, PLLC
Psychiatric Malpractice (Standard of Care)
5) Laura Porter
Tom Rhodes Law Firm, P.C.
Psychiatric Malpractice (Medication Error)
6) Joel Holt
Joel Holt Esq. P.C.
Stress of Pre-Emminent Death & Grief