Dr. Miles provides consultations, reports, and expert testimony to both plaintiffs and defendants in litigated civil and criminal matters. He has qualified as expert in state and federal courts to provide legally relevant psychiatric, medical, and psychopharmacological opinions. Cases have included issues of professional responsibility, psychiatric standards of practice, prescription practices, impairment, harassment, discrimination, disability, emotional distress, testamentary capacity, criminal responsibility, sanity, competency to stand trial, effects of drug ingestion and withdrawal, and need for treatment
Independent Medical Evaluation (IME),
Agreed Medical Evaluation (AME),
Fitness for Duty Examination,
Case File Review,
Consultation with Counsel,
Psychiatric Standard of Care,
Disability - Impairment,
Medical Staff Disputes,
Suspected Psychosomatic Reactions,
- Addiction Medicine
- Alcohol Abuse
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Drug Abuse
- Fitness for Duty Evaluation
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychology
- Independent Medical Examinations
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sanity/Competency to Stand Trial
- Sexual Harassment/Discrimination
- Testamentary Capacity
- Undue Influence
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, with certification in:
ï General Psychiatry,
ï Addiction Psychiatry,
ï Forensic Psychiatry
Licensed to practice medicine in California
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Distinguished Life Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
Fellow, American Academy of Psychoanalysis
American College of Psychiatrists
Southern California Psychiatric Society
California Psychiatric Association
American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law
American College of Legal Medicine
American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry
Los Angeles County Medical Association
California Medical Association
American Association for the Advancement of Science
The New York Academy of Sciences
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, UCLA School of Medicine
Senior Analyst, Southern California Psychoanalytic Institute (Now called the New Center for Psychoanalysis)
Cochairman, Paper Session on Treating Cancer Patients, May 6, 1980 meeting of the American Psychiatric Association.
Evaluator, "Special Continuing Panel on Psychoanalytic Work with Producers, Directors and Writers," May 4, 1984, Meeting of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis.
Panel Presenter, "Managed Care - A New Dilemma in Clinical Practice," May 23, 1993 meeting of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis.
Panel Presenter, "Expert Witness: The Judicial System," December 11, 1994 meeting of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis.
"Neurobiology of Substance Abuse," Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, March 25, 2000.
"Psychiatric Consultation in Criminal Cases," ICDA, Los Angeles, November 4, 2000.
"Borderline Personality Disorder," Grand Rounds, Sepulveda VA Medical Center, January 11, 2012.
Supervised psychiatry residents at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, 1992-2012
Supervise Addiction Psychiatry Fellows, Cedars Sinai Medical Center -- 2016
Supervise UCLA Residents and Addiction Psychiatry Fellows, 2016 -- present
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Several hundred
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Psychiatric Standard of Care
Disability - Impairment
Medical Staff Disputes
Medical decision capacity
Suspected Psychosomatic Reactions
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: ~50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: ~50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: ~200
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2022
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: several hundred (including both oral and written testimony)
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: ~100
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: over 20 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consultation with Counsel
Case File Review
Independent Medical Evaluation
Agreed Medical Evaluation
Fitness for Duty Examination
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $750
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $4000/day
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel via business class, (or $.585/mile for auto travel). Reimburse hotel fees for overnight stays.
References upon request.