Roy Lubit MD, Ph.D. is board certified in forensic psychiatry, child psychiatry and general psychiatry. He has special expertise in evaluating emotional trauma in children and adults (post traumatic stress disorder-PTSD), civil rights cases (section 1983 actions), assessing brain injury, child custody evaluations (including Hague Convention and parental alienation issues), psychological/psychiatric malpractice and critiquing forensic evaluations. He has also been the expert in numerous mental health cases, and criminal cases including false confessions, not guilty by reason of insanity (generally capital murder cases), diminished capacity and pre sentence evaluations. He has testified in over two hundred cases. His critiques of the reports of other forensic evaluators (showing that conclusions were based on speculative comments and cherry picking of data) have repeatedly led the reports of others to be withdrawn or ignored. In personal injury suits he has been on the plaintiff and defense sides roughly an equal number of times. Clients have included the federal government, US Army, State of Missouri, City of Chicago, and the Seminole County Public School District.
Dr. Lubit has published numerous articles and book chapters, and has lectured widely to lawyers, mental health professionals and insurance companies on emotional trauma, doing proper forensic evaluations and child custody issues. Dr. Lubit has had faculty appointments at New York University Medical School, Mt. Sinai School of medicine, New York Medical College and lectures on ethics at Einstein Medical School. He consults to the Bar Association of the City of NY concerning child custody issues, and to the Accountability Review Panel of Children’s Services in New York City. He has appeared on television and radio multiple times speaking about emotional trauma, post traumatic stress disorder and child custody issues including being on Dateline NBC, NPR, BBC, Canadian Broadcasting Company, and Fox Business News, and has been quoted in the press numerous times.
Dr. Lubit is currently completing a textbook on doing forensic evaluations. Please see his CV for a full list of publications and presentations. Publications include:
A Practical Guide to Psychological/Psychiatric Forensic Evaluations For Psychiatrists, Psychologists and Lawyers with Len Goodstein Ph.D. (in preparation)
Ethics in Psychiatry in Sadock B. and Sadock V. (eds.) Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. 9th edition. Phil: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. (2009)
Forensic Evaluation of Trauma Syndromes by Lubit R, Hartwell N, van Gorp WG, Eth S. in Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2002 Oct; 11(4):823-57.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Trauma on Children in K. Cheng and K. Myers (ed.) Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: The Essentials. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (2005).
Post Concussive Syndrome eMedicine World Medical Library, 2008
Child Custody Evaluations in K. Cheng and K. Myers (ed.) Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: The Essentials. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (2005).
Areas of Expertise
- Addiction Medicine
- Alcohol Abuse
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Brain Injury
- Child Abuse
- Child Custody
- Child Psychiatry
- Child Psychology
- Community Mental Health
- Drug Abuse
- Emotional Trauma
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychology
- Hospital & Medical Ethics
- Independent Medical Examinations (I.M.E.)
- Industrial Medicine
- Pain Management
- Personal Injury
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sanity/Trial Competency
- School Safety
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Harassment/Discrimination
- Spousal Abuse
- Wrongful Death
- Wrongful Termination
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Roy Lubit MD, Ph.D.
Board certified in general psychiatry, forensic psychiatry and child psychiatry
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I am faculty at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
I'm spoken at many professional conferences, and to lawyers groups.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: no
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 100
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: general psychiatry
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: more than 100
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: more than 100
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 20
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: varies
Ramone Vasquez: (407) 423-9545
Avi Moskowitz: (212) 221-7999
Ronald Ramirez: (718) 268-8900
Matt Gammons: (212) 514-5007
Stan Cohen: (212) 686-8200
Michael Keating: (908) 272-0909
Kathy Donnelly: phone number available on request
Bill Brooks: (631) 761-7086
Frank Schiavone: (513) 863-4200
Alan Smilowitz: (516) 318-0364
Joseph Tringali: (914) 576-1361