Roy Theophilus Bent, Jr. is both a consulting expert witness and testifying expert witness at Houston Auto Appraisers in Houston, Texas. His services include detailed, court-approved written expert witness reports, visual displays, IACP certified Diminished Value and Total Loss appraisals, insurance claims disputes, Actual Cash Value, Fair Market Value appraisals, Classic Cars, Trucks, Luxury Cars, Commercial Vehicles, RV's, Motor Homes, Motorcycles, Heavy Equipment, Auto Collision Damage Estimates, Crash Data Retrieval CDR, Event Data Recorders EDR, Vehicle airbag control module imaging, vehicle black box download, Bus Accident Expert, Emergency Vehicle Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Bad Repairs, Auto Manufacturer Defects, DTPA, Lemon Laws, Auto Title Fraud, Salvage Title Fraud, Odometer Fraud, Car Dealer Fraud, and Divorce/Estate/Probate Asset Valuations for legal purposes.
Mr. Bent is the seated President of the Bureau of Certified Auto Appraisers, a National Professional Appraisal Credentialing Organization that has trained, tested, and certified over 2,400 students in the practices areas of IACP Certified Auto Appraisals and Litigation assistance. He is a published author in several peer reviewed journals in auto accident expert witness related theories, case studies, and reports which are used exclusively by other expert witnesses in the field. He holds numerous licenses and credentials as an ASE Certified Mechanic, I-Car Collision Specialist, Certified Auto Appraiser, Insurance Adjuster, Umpire, Mediator, Arbitrator, Classic Car Judge and Vintage Car Historian.
Roy is not an advocate, he is an expert witness.
Areas of Expertise
- Accident Investigation
- Accident Reconstruction
- Automobile Appraisal
- Bus & Truck Safety/Accident
- Child Safety
- Insurance Adjuster
- Insurance Fraud
- Machinery & Equipment Appraisal
- Personal Property Valuation
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: IACP Certified Auto Appraiser, ASE Technician, ICAR Body Repair Man, Non-Destructive Testing.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Bureau of Certified Auto Appraisers, American Arbitration Association, Dispute Resolution Center - DRC
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: University of Houston Law Center: Diminished Value Appraisals & Total Loss, University of Houston Law Center: Auto Collision Damage Estimates, University of Houston Law Center: Commercial Vehicle Accidents, Texas Department of Insurance: Actual Cash Value & Total Loss Disputes.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained as an Expert Witness 100+ times throughout my entire career
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: To provide opinions involving most areas around automotive related legal matters including causation and damages, actual cash value appraisals, car dealer fraud, auto title fraud, auto accidents, repair shop negligence, torts, and certified valuation services which required an exact dollar amount.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: I have had my deposition taken over 70 times.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: April 12, 2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: I have been qualified as an expert on every case that went to trial. I have been challenged to Daubert & Frye standards and have been approved by the presiding judge to testify on bench and jury trials for both plaintiff and defendants.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 65 times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 12 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Automotive consulting, field discoveries, photo review, expert witness reports.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $450.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $350.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $450.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $450.00
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel, hotel, rental car, basic standard.
References upon request.