Roy Theophilus Bent, Jr. is an IACP Certified Auto Appraiser, Insurance Appraisal Clause Umpire, Certified Mediator / Arbitrator and Trial Court Expert Witness at Houston Auto Show. His services include detailed, court-approved written expert witness reports, IACP Certified Diminished Value and Total Loss Appraisals, Insurance Claims Disputes, ACV, FMV, State Value Policy appraisals, Classic Cars, Trucks, Luxury Cars, Commercial Vehicles, RV's, Motor Homes, Motorcycles, Heavy Equipment, Auto Collision Damage Estimates, Crash Data Retrieval CDR, Event Data Recorders EDR, Vehicle airbag control module imaging, vehicle black box download, Bus Accident Expert, Emergency Vehicle Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Bad Repairs, Auto Manufacturer Defects, DTPA, Lemon Laws, Auto Title Fraud, Salvage Title Fraud, Odometer Fraud, Car Dealer Fraud, and Divorce/Estate/Probate Asset Valuations for legal purposes.
Mr. Bent has been retained as an Auto Appraiser and Expert Witness on various high-crime and felony vehicular homicide cases with the U.S. Attorney General (AG), U.S. Customs and Border Protection, U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), U.S. Marshal Service, U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), U.S. Office of Inspector General, and Local Police Departments resulting in criminal convictions and/or exonerations of: Automobile Theft Rings, Chop Shops and Used Parts Dealers, Stolen Parts Identification, Autobody Repair Shop Estimate Fraud, Fraudulent Auto Titles, Salvage Titles Cleaned by Errors, Fraudulent Mechanics Liens, Stolen Luxury Motorhomes, Stolen Motorcycles & ATV’s, Stolen Heavy Equipment, Backhoes, Cranes, and Commercial Equipment Actual Cash Value (ACV) valued US$1Billion+ and counting.
Areas of Expertise
- Antiques, Art, & Collectibles Appraisal
- Auto Insurance
- Automobile Appraisal
- Automobile Dealerships
- Aviation Valuation
- Bad Faith
- Black Box/Data Recorder
- Construction Damages
- Equipment & Machinery
- Insurance Adjuster
- Insurance Fraud
- Machinery & Equipment Appraisal
- Personal Property Valuation
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Risk Management
- Seat Belts & Air Bags
- UTV (Utility Vehicles, Side by Sides)
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: IACP Certified Auto Appraiser - The Bureau of Certified Auto Appraisers
I-CAR Body Repair Man
Texas Certified Mediator / Arbitrator - University of Houston Law Center
Insurance Appraisal Clause Umpire
Manufactured Home Certified Appraiser - HUD/FHA/VHA & Title 1
Certified Aircraft Appraiser
Certified Personal Property Appraiser
Event Data Recorder - Technician & Analyst
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Bureau of Certified Auto Appraisers, N.A.D.A., JD Powers & Associates, American Arbitration Association, Harris County Mediators, Dispute Resolution Center - DRC
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: University of Houston Law Center: Diminished Value Appraisals & Total Loss, University of Houston Law Center: Auto Collision Damage Estimates, University of Houston Law Center: Commercial Vehicle Accidents, Texas Department of Insurance: Actual Cash Value & Total Loss Disputes.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 100+ times throughout my entire career
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: To provide opinions involving most areas around automotive related legal matters including causation and damages, actual cash value appraisals, car dealer fraud, auto title fraud, auto accidents, repair shop negligence, manufacturers defects, torts, and certified valuation services which required actual cash value dollar amount.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 70+ times
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: August 2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: I have been qualified as an expert on every case that went to trial. I have been challenged to Daubert & Frye standards and have been approved by the presiding judge to testify on bench and jury trials for both plaintiff and defendants.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 65 times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 20 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Automotive consulting, field discoveries, photo review, expert witness reports.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $450.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $450.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $450.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $750.00
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel, hotel, rental car, basic standard.
References upon request.