Dr. Swotinsky is an occupational medicine physician in Metrowest Massachusetts. His areas of expertise includes drug and alcohol testing and impairment/safety including driving under the influence/drugs (DUI/DUID), disability assessments, fitness for duty (law enforcement officers, truck drivers, etc.), and toxicology. Dr. Swotinsky's clinical practice includes evaluation and treatment of work-related injuries, fitness for duty assessments, buprenorphine treatment, and independent medical examinations in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
Areas of Expertise
- Addiction Medicine
- Alcohol Abuse
- Alcohol, Drug & DUI Testing
- Drug Abuse
- Health/Medical/Disability Insurance
- Independent Medical Examinations (I.M.E.)
- Industrial Medicine
- Medical Toxicology
- Pain Management
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: MD from Vanderbilt University. MPH in epidemiology from UCLA. Board certified in occupational medicine. Fellow of the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. Certified Medical Review Officer (MRO). Certified Substance Abuse Professional. FMCSA certified Medical Examiner. HHS-certified to prescribe buprenorphine to treat opioid dependence. Former Senior Aviation Medical Examiner.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Asst Professor at University of Massachusetts. Have spoken to and taught thousands of physicians/regulators/toxicologists nationally about drug and alcohol testing. Have trained physicians and advanced practitioners nationally to perform DOT physicals and helped prepared them for the NRCME exam. Have trained technicians to perform breath alcohol testing, and workplace supervisors to make reasonable suspicion determinations. Founding author of a national newsletter (MRO Update) about drug and alcohol testing since 1994. Have been appointed to multiple federal committees on workplace drug and alcohol testing and DOT physical exams. Have written books on drug and alcohol testing, most recently the 5th Edition of The Medical Review Officer Manual. Co-author of the Medical Review Officer Certification Council certification exam.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 4 new cases/year.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Drug and alcohol testing. Driving under the influence. Toxic (chemical) exposures. Law enforcement (police) fitness for duty. Disability assessment.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 2 - 4 times yearly.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2015.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Independent medical examinations. File review. Litigation support. Consulting. Risk communication. Clinical practice audits.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: No charge for initial discussion/consultation.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $350.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: $100/hr for travel time.
References upon request.