Pyrocop, Inc. is a Southern California based fire consulting company that provides unmatched fire expert services nationwide. Former Fire Marshal and Pyrocop, Inc. founder, Robert Rowe, served in the California Fire Service for over 27 years, where he gained extensive knowledge and experience in fire investigation, fire/building code interpretation and application, fire protection and fire/life safety systems and plan review. Upon his retirement in 2007, Mr. Rowe founded Pyrocop, Inc. and has since provided fire expert services to insurance companies and law firms across the country.
Areas of Expertise:
• Fire Origin and Cause Investigations
• Fire & Building Codes/Standards Interpretation
• Fire Sprinkler and Fire Alarm Systems
• Flammable Liquids/Hazardous Materials Consulting
• Standard of Care for Fire Investigations
• Standard of Care for Application of Codes and Standards
• Marine Fires
As an IAAI/NAFI Certified Fire Investigator (CFI & CFEI) in addition to being Licensed Private Investigator in the State of California, Robert has investigated over one thousand (1,300) fires during his fire service career, and has qualified numerous times as an expert witness in both deposition and at trial.
He is currently a member of the National Fire Protection Association, California Conference of Arson Investigators, International Association of Arson Investigators, and the National Association of Fire Investigators.
As Deputy Fire Marshal, Robert served as President of the Area E Arson Task Force, which includes the cities of Downey, Montebello, Compton, Santa Fe Springs and Long Beach. As a member of the arson task force, Robert worked closely with various local, state and federal law enforcement agencies on large fire and special investigations.
While serving in this capacity, Robert became a Special Deputy for the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, as well as with the U.S. Marshals Service.
Robert fulfilled a three year term as President of the Los Angeles Area Fire Marshals’ Association, served as a member of the Western Fire Chiefs Association’s Uniform Fire Code Development Committee and the Uniform Fire Code Interpretation and Development Committee. While a public fire official, Robert served on the NFPA 1/Uniform Fire Code Technical Committee.
In 2003, Robert was appointed as a member of the California State Fire Marshal's Fire/Life Safety Advisory Board and the California Building Standards Commission’s Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanical and Energy Advisory Committee, serving in the capacity of Fire Official. Robert currently serves as Executive Director of the Fire Sprinkler Advisory Board of Southern California and actively serves on several California State Fire Marshal appointed committees.
Areas of Expertise
- Building Codes
- Hazardous Materials
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified Fire Investigator (CFI)International Association of Arson Investigators, Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI) and Certified Fire Investigator Instructor (CFII), National Association of Fire Investigators Licensed Private Investigator, Certified Fire Inspector (California State Fire Marshal's Office), Certified Fire Investigator (California State Fire Marshal's Office), Certified Fire Code Inspector (Uniform Fire Code Association)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: California Conference of Arson Investigators
International Association of Arson Investigators
National Association of Fire Investigators
National Fire Sprinkler Association
National Fire Protection Association
California State Firefighters Association
International Association of Firefighters
International Code Council
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Incendiary Devices, Los Angeles County Coroners Office
Incendiary Devices, Southern California Fraud Investigators Association
Fire Investigation and the Fire Code, California Conference of Arson Investigators, Residential Fire Sprinkler Systems, City of Palm Springs Fire Department
Uniform Fire Code Update, Southern California Fire Prevention Officers Association
Uniform Fire Code Update, Apple Valley Fire Protection District
Uniform Fire Code Certification, Chino Valley Fire District
Uniform Fire Code Update, Portland, Oregon
Uniform Fire Code Update, Las Vegas Fire Department
Fire Investigation & the Fire Code, Maui, HI
Fire Investigation & the Fire Code, Hammond, LA
Fire Investigation & the Fire Code, Santa Barbara, CA
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 100
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Fire Investigation Analysis, Fire Code Interpretation, Criminal Prosecution, Fire Protection/Fire Life Safety Systems, Hazardous Materials Storage, Pyrotechnic accidents, Arson
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 35
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: November 2015
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 15
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 15
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 17 years as a Municipal Fire Department Investigator
8 years as a Private Fire Investigator/Code Expert
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Review of Fire Investigation and Fire Inspection reports, photos, videos and case related files. Answer specific fire investigation and fire life safety related questions asked by Client and participating in case review conferences. This may include but not limited to research, analysis, testing, inspection, review of materials, interviews, report preparation, expert testimony in depositions, mediation, arbitration and trial proceedings if necessary, reading and correction of deposition transcripts, and review and signing of affidavits and similar documents.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Consulting time, including but not limited to, research, analysis, testing, physical inspection, review of materials, interviews, consultations, telephone conferences, report preparation, reading and correction of deposition transcript, review and signing of affidavits and similar documents will be billed at a rate of $250.00 per hour in fifteen minute increments plus expenses. Any time related to the case or project which is beyond the scope of an initial free consultation will be considered billable time. The hourly rate includes driving time, but excludes time spent in an airport and/or in-flight. Reasonable estimates of time to be spent working on any aspect of the case may be provided upon request.
Any consulting time expended outside the geographic area of Consultant (West of the Continental Divide within the United States of America, excluding the Hawaiian Islands and Alaska) will be billed at a per diem rate of $2,000 per day plus expenses instead of being billed at an hourly rate.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $250
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Consulting at depositions, court appearances, or other legal testimony will be billed as follows: (1) Depositions or other legal testimony taken within the geographic area of Consultant (West of the Continental Divide within the United States of America, excluding the Hawaiian Islands and Alaska) will be billed at $300 per hour at a minimum of three (3) hour increments;
(2) Deposition, court appearances, or other legal testimony taken outside of the geographic area of Consultant (West of the Continental Divide within the United States of America, excluding the Hawaiian Islands and Alaska) will be billed at a per diem rate of $2,000 per day plus expenses instead of being billed at an hourly rate. Irrespective of geographic location, a cancellation fee of $500.00 will be assessed unless at least seven (7) days advanced written notice is given to Consultant canceling or rescheduling date for Consultant to provide legal testimony . Billing is made for time being deposed, courtroom testimony, and waiting time. It is acknowledged that the Consultant will not be deposed or provide expert testimony if any invoices and/or retainer fees have not been paid prior to said depositions, court appearances, or other legal testimony.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $300
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Consultant shall be entitled to reimbursement from Client for all actual out-of-pocket expenses including but not limited to lodging, meals, car rental, air fare, photography, overnight express mailing, parcel service fees, audio/visual aids, materials, electronic research fees, laboratory fees, couriers, major document photocopying and specialized commercial services. A flat-rate administrative fee of $40.00 shall be applied per billing period (monthly) for telephone expenses, including wireless, facsimile, minor postage and minor photocopying. Air travel shall be coach class, or the most cost-effective seating available; the Client will arrange and pay for this transportation at travel times convenient to the Consultant. Automobile mileage will be billed at the current IRS allowance. Estimates of expenses may be provided upon request.
Dana Sack, Esq.
Sack Rosendin, LLP
One Kaiser Plaza Suite 340
Oakland, CA 94612
Stephen Kahn, Esq.
433 North Camden Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Eric B. Strongin, Esq.
Smith & Hall LLP
27345 Ortega Hwy.
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675