Harvard/Mass General-trained forensic psychiatrist, double Board Certified (ABPN) in both Psychiatry and Forensic Psychiatry. 20+ academic peer-reviewed publications on various topics in forensic psychiatry. Extensive history of lecturing on malingering, feigned psychiatric symptoms and the interplay between psychiatry and the law.
Dr. Johnson accepts cases nationally in civil (but not criminal) forensic psychiatry matters related to the following areas:
Has been retained multiple times in such matters and has lectured on the subject.
Psychiatrist Malpractice/Standard of Care (Following Harm to a Patient)
Works with the California Medical Board’s Expert Reviewer Program and Medical Consultant Program to review cases regarding
deviation from the psychiatric standard of care (boundary violations, standard of care for ADHD treatment)
Employment Litigation/Negligence (e.g. Alleged Cognitive Impairment, PTSD or Depression Resulting from an Accident, Workplace Event)
IMEs/Fitness for Duty Evaluations
Completed over 50 IMEs (e.g. disability insurance), FFDs and FAA pilot evaluations. FAA certification to evaluate airline pilots (HIMS Certified). Has published two peer-reviewed academic articles (current CV) on fitness-for-duty evaluations for physicians and other professionals.
Retained and testified regarding stalking/cyberstalking in court. Peer-reviewed publication (see current CV) on the topic of stalking of physicians. Conference presentation on cyberstalking (NCPS 2018).
Lectured regularly on the detection of malingering and feigned psychiatric symptoms (cognitive impairment, PTSD, psychosis and depression).
Areas of Expertise
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Independent Medical Examinations (I.M.E.)
- Industrial Medicine
- Medical Malpractice
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sexual Addiction
- Testamentary Capacity
- Undue Influence
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: MD, JD, LLM
Double Board Certified in both Psychiatry and Forensic Psychiatry
Medical licenses: CA, TX, MA
Bar license: NY
Certified Threat Manager (ATAP)
HIMS Psychiatry Pilot Evaluator (FAA)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: APA (American Psychiatric Association)
ATAP (Association of Threat Assessment Professionals)
AAPL (American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: National Conference Presentation Topics:
Veterans’ Courts (Involving PTSD and Depression)
Fitness for Duty for Physicians, Pilots, Attorneys and Other Licensed Professionals
Forensic Psychiatric Education of Residents and Medical Students
Mass Murderer Correspondence
Dr. Johnson has presented at Harvard/Mass General and Baylor on the following topics:
Malingering/Lie Detection (plus standardized instruments)
HIPAA/patient confidentiality and privilege
Psychiatric malpractice/standard of care
Violence risk assessment (plus standardized instruments)
Suicide risk assessment (plus standardized instruments)
Treatment options in pregnancy
Psychosis (e.g. schizophrenia):
Dementia, executive dysfunction testing
Psychiatric shelf examination review
Legal issues in psychiatry
Conducting a psychiatric interview
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Testamentary Capacity/Undue Influence, Employment Litigation (alleged psychiatric harm, PTSD, cognitive impairment, depression), Stalking/Cyberstalking,
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 40
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: call
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: call
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: call
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: none
Available Upon Request