Robert Johnson is a thirty-two year law enforcement veteran, retired Lieutenant Colonel from the Illinois State Police. He serves as a private consultant and expert witness regarding law enforcement policies and practices regarding allegations of police misconduct. Johnson has been certified in state and federal courts He has testified most frequently in litigation regarding the use of force (including deadly force), pursuits and emergency vehicle response and other policy issues. He has served both as an expert for the Defense and Plaintiff
Areas of Expertise
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Drug Enforcement
- Police Procedures
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certifications:
- Commission for the Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA)Certified as an Assessor &Team Leader
- Force Science Research Center RE: Human factors that can influence human behavior and memory in force encounters, police pursuits and other situations under extreme stress
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Past and Current
International Association of Chiefs of Police
Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police
Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) - Assessor
Lake County (IL) Major Crimes Task Force (Original Formation Committee)
Metropolitan Enforcement Group - Policy Board Member
Public Integrity Task Force - Executive Board Member
Illinois State Police Forensic Services Advisory Board
International Narcotic Enforcement Officers Association
Illinois Police Accreditation Coalition
High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) – Executive Board Member (Chicago HIDTA)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I have limited teaching experience - my expertise has been developed in the field as an actual practitioner.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately eighty-five (85)
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Use of Force, Use of Deadly Force, Police Pursuits, Emergency Vehicle operation, proper conduct of investigations, use of informants, internal investigations as well as otherr policy and practice issues
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 20%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 80%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 60
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Within past month - five (5) depositions taken in 2013
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Approximately Fifteen (15). Have been qualified in both in state and federal courts.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Fifteen (15) Years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, written reports, site visit (as needed)
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $175.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $175.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $175.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $175.00
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: See Fee Schedule RE: Travel
References upon request.