Robert Hughes Associates, Inc.'s, consultants have assisted hundreds of clients in either avoiding or lessening the impact of insurance-based litigation. We work closely with and on behalf of Fortune 500 companies and many other household names and their counsel. Our senior consultants have consulted on or testified in more than 2,000 insurance-related cases, on behalf of both plaintiff and defense attorneys. We can provide expertise regarding almost any area of the insurance industry, including property/casualty, life and health insurance, and many others.
Whether it's confidential consulting to aid in making the decision to proceed, or assistance in reconstructing or tracing the whereabouts of an old policy, we have the professionals to help. Our expertise spans the world -- we have the Lloyd's of London connections and experience to assist with most insurance cases involving Lloyd's policies.
Our staff members have managed agencies and captive insurance companies, worked on the floor at Lloyd's and held senior positions within insurance companies.
Our client list includes some of the biggest industrial and insurance industry giants in the world as well as individuals and many small businesses. No client is too small or too large. We have the expertise to help regardless of the size of the company or case.
Areas of Expertise
- Bad Faith
- Business Law
- Business Valuation
- Business/Employment Insurance
- Family Law
- Fire Insurance
- Health/Medical/Disability Insurance
- Homeowner's Insurance
- Insurance Adjuster
- Insurance Agent/Broker
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Insurance Fraud
- Liability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Risk Management
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: CPCU, FCAS, ARM, CIC, CLU, ACAS, Ph.D, Ch.F.C., CPA, RPLU, Tribunalized at Lloyd's. Licensed Agents, Licensed Brokers, Liscensed Adjusters, Licensed Risk Managers
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: CPCU Society, Member, Academy of Actuaries, Fellow, Institute of Directors (London), Member, The Academy of Experts (London), Member, American Board of Forensic examiners, etc.,
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Each expert maintains his/her own list of speaking and teaching experience. Please contact John Oakley for further information
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: As far as we are aware none of our consultants has ever had their accreditations investigated, suspended or removed.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Each expert keeps his/her own record of cases. As a group we have been retained in more than 800 cases
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: All aspects of the insurance industry from agents' duties to Lloyd's of London to coverages in environmental cases to underwriting to reinsurance to excess & surplus lines to bad faith to claim handling to claim audits to workers' compensation to medicare/medicaid and everything in between.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Each expert is different but as a group we are around about 50/50
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Each expert is different but as a group about 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Each expert keeps track of his/her own number of depositions.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: We have experts giving depositions almost weekly
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Each expert keeps track of his/her own numnber of qualifications to give court testimony.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Again, each expert keeps track of his/her own numbers.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Robert Hughes Associates began taking expert witness assignments about 1990. But, each expert has a differing amount of experience working with teh legal industry.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Expert Witness Testimony, Insurance Consulting, Insurance policy anaysis, Risk Management Consulting, Captive Management, Actuarial Consulting, Human Resources Consulting, Medicare/Medicaid Audits, Claims Audits, and many others
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Each consultant has his/her own rate. Our rates range from $200 - $425 depending upon the consultant/expert.
Each expert's rate is good for all work he/she carries out.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: Call for rates.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Call for rates.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Call for rates.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: All expenses are charged at cost to us. See engagement agreement for more details.
A full list of references is available from John Oakley at firstname.lastname@example.org