• Engineer of Record for over 30,000 residential and 500 public swimming pool projects.
• Performed over 100 Forensics Investigation of swimming pool construction defects/failures
• 20 years expert witness experience including over 30 depositions and testimony at 7 trials
• Special Expert on the Technical Advisory Committee with the Uniform Swimming Pool, Spa, and Hot Tub Code
• Numerous publications in conference proceedings and trade magazines on various topics for best practices of swimming pool construction
• Numerous speaking engagements at conferences and trade shows on various topics for best practices of swimming pool construction
• Degrees in Civil Engineering from California Polytechnic State University and the University of Colorado
• Registered Civil and Geotechnical Engineer and licensed in eight states
• Engineering license exam development with the California Board of Professional Engineers
• Past Director for the California Geotechnical Engineers Association
Throughout his career, Mr. Holmer has served as the engineer of record for the construction of over 30,000 residential and 500 commercial swimming pool projects, and he currently provides engineering services for over 300 architects and contractors. His swimming pool engineering expertise includes; structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, hydraulics, piping, swimming pool safety, suction entrapment, slip and fall, water treatment, mechanical systems, codes, and materials testing for a wide breadth of both commercial and residential swimming pool projects. He holds BS and MS degrees in Civil engineering and is licensed in 8 states.
Mr. Holmer has performed forensic investigations to diagnose the cause of defects at more than 100 swimming pools throughout the United States. Using a combination of both destructive and non-destructive test methods, Rob carefully and comprehensively evaluates construction materials, foundation systems, mechanical equipment, plumbing, and water treatment for compliance with construction documents, industry standards and building codes. Rob is an expert in reverse engineering and diagnosing construction defects and structural failures related to all phases of swimming pool construction including structure settlement, structure heave, concrete (shotcrete) workmanship defects, reinforcement workmanship defects, waterproofing failures, porcelain and stone tile failures, plaster failures, water treatment deficiencies, and mechanical system failures. Field methods used to perform investigations have included, but are not limited to, visual inspection, concrete coring and testing, geotechnical drilling and sampling, ground penetrating radar, and laboratory testing.
- Civil Engineering
- Dive Medicine
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Pools & Spas
- Structural Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: BSc, 1994 - California Polytechnic State University, Civil Engineering
MSc, 1998 - University of Colorado, Geotechnical Engineering
Registered Geotechnical Engineer, California, (GE), #G2672
Registered Civil Engineer, California, (PE) #C62542
Engineering licenses in California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, Texas, Hawaii, Florida, Arkansas (License # by request).
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
Special Expert on the Technical Advisory Committee for the Uniform Swimming Pool, Spa, and Hot Tub Code
California Geotechnical Engineers Association (CGEA), Board of Directors 2002 ~ 2008
California Board of Professional Engineers, Geotechnical License Exam Development, 2005~2006
Sacramento State University, Senior Project Professional Participant, 2007
International Code Counsel (ICC)
American Concrete Institute
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: LECTURES
• “The Anatomy of a Perfectly Engineered Pool”, 6 hour lecture on soils and structures, Jul 2004, Radison Hotel, Sacramento, Ca
• “The Anatomy of a Perfectly Engineered Pool”, 9 hour workshop on soils, structures, and materials, Pool Industry Expo, Sept 2004, Monterey, Ca
• “Swimming Pool Engineering”, 4 hour workshop on soils and structures, Sacramento Valley Association of Building Officials, June 2005, Sacramento, Ca
• “Case Histories of Swimming Pool Failures”, 4 hour lecture on swimming pool failures, their causes, and repairs, April 2006, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Sacramento, Ca
• “Case Histories of Swimming Pool Failures”, 4 hour lecture on swimming pool failures, their causes, and repairs, Pool Industry Expo, September 2006, Monterey, Ca
• “Swimming Pool Engineering”, 6 hour workshop on soils, structures, and case histories, Sacramento Valley Association of Building Officials, June 2008, Sacramento, Ca
• “Everyone Loves a Pool, But What’s Lurking Beneath the Surface”, 2 hour lecture on engineering and construction considerations of rooftop pools. RCI Building Envelope Technology Symposium, October 2016, Houston, Tx.
• “Pool Shell Structural Failures, Case Studies”, 2 hour lecture on swimming pool failures. International Pool, Spa, and Patio Expo, New Orleans, November 2016
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: More than 30 times
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Swimming Pool Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Materials Testing and Inspections
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: more than 30 times
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2020
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 7 times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: over 20 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Forensics investigation, consulting, reports, site inspection, destructive and non-destructuve testing.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $350/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $350/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $575/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $575/hour
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: all expenses are invoiced at cost + 20%