Richard C. Mason is a nationally recognized expert on insurance and reinsurance coverage and bad faith law and practice, with a concentration in Directors & Officers Liability Insurance, Professional Liability Insurance, and complex casualty claims. In 2020, he once again was recognized by his peers, in the 28th edition of the Best Lawyers in America, under the specialty of Reinsurance. He is the author of numerous scholarly articles that have been published in peer-reviewed journals, many of which have been repeatedly cited by state and federal appellate courts. He is the former Chair of the Reinsurance Committee of the American Bar Association, the former Editor-in-Chief of the Tort, Trial & Insurance Law Journal (published by the ABA), and has counseled clients regarding insurance coverage issues for more than 30 years. During the course of that time, he has reviewed hundreds of claim files and worked closely with claim handlers. Mr. Mason has been a frequent lecturer on topics related to insurance claim handling.
- Bad Faith
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Insurance Excess & Surplus Lines
- Insurance Fraud
- Liability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Mass Torts
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: J.D. (with honors), University of Maryland School of Law, 1991
BA, Loyola University Maryland, 1987
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Member, MasonADR, LLC
Judge Pro Tempore, Commerce Court, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas
Shareholder, Cozen O'Connor PC (1996-2020)
Past Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, American Bar Association (TIPS Section)
Past Chair, Excess, Surplus Lines & Reinsurance Committee, American Bar Association
Past Editor-in-Chief, Tort, Trial & Insurance Law Journal (American Bar Association)
Approved arbitrator, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
Approved CLE Provider, Pennsylvania CLE Board
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: "Insurance Claims and the Attorney Client Privilege," November 2020 (Pennsylvania CLE Provider)
"Cyber Risks and Reinsurance," 2016 (Re)insurance Claims Congress (faculty)
"Sexual and Physical Abuse Claims in the United States," 2015 International Alliance of Asbestos & Pollution Re-insurers (IntAP) Technical Meeting in Munich, Germany (Faculty)
"Coverage for False Claims Act Litigation Under Professional Liability Insurance Policies," New York Annual E&O Seminar (2015)
"Legal Developments Related to Hurricane Sandy." Reinsurance Association of America Spring Meeting (Faculty) (May 2013)
"Sexual Molestation Risks Impacting Reinsurers," AIRROC Summer Conference (July 2013)
National ADR Forum, ABA-TIPS (April 2013) (Program Co-Chair)
"Mediating the High Profile Controversy," ABA National CLE Forum (Moderator)
"Insurance Coverage for Sexual Abuse Claims," ABA-TIPS Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee 25th Annual CLE Seminar (March 2013) (moderator)
"Liability Exposures of Educational Institutions," Re Claims Conference (2012)
"Time-based Defenses Under E&O Policies," New York Annual E&O Seminar (2011)
"The Arbitration Process – In Need of Reform or Still Working?," 17th Annual Insurance Insolvency & Reinsurance Roundtable (March 2010) (faculty)
"The Role of Actuaries in Life, Health and Disability Insurance and Reinsurance, as Client, Witness and Arbitrator," 36th Annual TIPS Midwinter Symposium (January 2010) (Moderator)
"Perjury in Arbitration," 2009 ARIAS-US Annual Meeting) (faculty)
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Twice
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Civil liability for aiding and abetting
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: None
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Less than one year.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting and testifying
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $550
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $550
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $550
Available Upon Request