Raymond L. Lee, Ph.D.
Object Visibility, Lighting, Meteorology
Dr. Lee is an expert on the effects of weather phenomena such as snow, fog, rain, and icing on drivers and pedestrians, glare from sun and headlights, and visibility under different lighting and weather conditions on incidents ranging from vehicle collisions to slips and falls.
He has spent 30 years in meteorological research and education, including the last 24 years as a research professor at the U. S. Naval Academy. He has been awarded seven highly competitive research grants from the National Science Foundation.
Dr. Lee has testified nationally and he has researched and written more than 140 technical reports for both civil and criminal cases during the past 23 years. Dr. Lee is a member of the American Meteorological Society, the Optical Society of America, and the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America.
For Dr. Lee’s full bio or CV, click the “Web Page” or the “CV” button above.
- Driver Behavior
- Human Factors
- Lighting & Illumination
- Weather & Meteorology
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Ph. D., Meteorology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
B.A., Williams College, Williamstown, MA
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Meteorological Society,
Illuminating Engineering Society of North America,
Optical Society of America,
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: 1991-present adjunct professor, Mathematics & Science Division, U. S. Naval Academy
1992-1994, 1996-1999 visiting CNMOC Chair in Remote Sensing, Oceanography Department, U. S. Naval Academy
1989-1991 postdoctoral researcher, Meteorology Department, Pennsylvania State University
1980-present Resident courses taught (U. S. Naval Academy):
General Physics I-II
Introductory Calculus I-III
Probability and Statistics for Scientists and Engineers
Statistics for Oceanographers and Meteorologists
Atmospheric Thermodynamics and Kinematics
Basic Atmospheric Processes
Environmental Remote Sensing
Global Climate Change
Oceanic and Atmospheric Dynamics
Resident courses taught (Penn State):
Graduate practicum in Physical Meteorology
Observing and Analyzing Atmospheric Physics
External courses taught (Penn State):
Applications of Statistics to Meteorology
Hydrodynamics of the Atmosphere
Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology
Introduction to Synoptic Meteorology
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 130 times since 1992.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: meteorology;
evaluation of icing and melting conditions;
driver and pedestrian visibility;
nighttime visibility using headlights;
driver reaction to signs and other traffic control devices;
visibility in outdoor and indoor lighting;
visibility through windshields and through fog, haze, and snow
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 50%.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 50%.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 18 times.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: June 2014.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 15 times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 15 times.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 23 years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Via Robson Forensic, I offer consulting, testing, expert reports, and site inspections in all my areas of technical expertise.
Atty. Eric Swan
Galfand Berger, LLP
1818 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19193
tel.: 215-665-1600; FAX: 215-564-2262
Atty. Mark Hall
Morgan, Melhuish, Monaghan, Arvidson, Abrutyn & Lisowski
651 West Mount Pleasant Ave., Suite 200
Livingston, NJ 07039-1673
tel.: 973-994-2500; FAX: 973-994-3375
Atty. Michael H. Rosenzweig
Edgar Snyder & Associates LLC
16th Gulf Tower
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
tel.: 412-394-4457, 800-394-3660, ext. 4457; FAX: 412-391-2180
Attys. Michael D. Kracht & Joseph A. Chellew, III
847 West Market St.; P. O. Box 258
Perkasie, PA 18944
tel.: 215-257-5114; FAX: 215-257-0506