Ramzi Asfour, MD, is board certified in Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine, and Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF). In addition to his 20+ years of extensive private practice, Dr Asfour has privileges at five California hospitals (Alameda County Medical Center, Alameda Hospital, Sutter Lakeside Hospital, Sutter Eden Medical Center, and Mammoth Hospital). Dr. Asfour has worked for the World Health Organization in Geneva in the HIV / AIDS department, developing training programs for doctors in HIV. In addition to his clinical practice, Dr Asfour also advises hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, schools and businesses on infection control, including outbreak control and COVID-19, and antimicrobial stewardship.
Dr Asfour has experience working with both plaintiff and defense attorneys to provide clear, independent opinions on matters involving medical malpractice, standards of care, sepsis, necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria), osteomyelitis (bone infections), COVID-19, other viral infections, outbreak prevention and management, cellulitis (infection of the skin or soft tissue), surgical site infections (surgery related infections), orthopedic infections, hospital-acquired infections, travel related infections, antimicrobial stewardship, water borne infections, endocarditis (heart valve infections), bacterial infections, fungal infections, pneumonia, urinary tract infections, and telemedicine.
- Infectious Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Long Term Care
- Mass Torts
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Homes
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Board Certified in Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.
Licensed in AL, AZ, CA, CO, GA, ID, IL, MI, MT, MN, NV, NH, TX, UT, WA, WI.
Expert Witness and Telemedicine registrations in FL.
University of California, Davis B.S. in Genetics
New York Medical College, Doctor of Medicine
California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, Residency in Internal Medicine (Resident of the Year)
University of California, San Diego, Fellowship in Infectious Diseases
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Infectious Diseases Society of the United States (IDSA)
Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
American Society of Microbiology
Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Teaching Internal Medicine residents in Infectious Diseases and presentations to doctors, nurses, schools, businesses, rural hospitals, and the general public. Topics have included: COVID-19, infection prevention, bone infections (osteomyelitis), travel related infections, antibiotics, antimicrobial resistance and stewardship, fever of unknown origin, Lyme disease, endocarditis, meningitis, fungal disease, HIV medicine, pneumonia, non-infectious causes of fever, urinary tract infections, gastrointestinal infections, skin and soft tissue infections, acid-fast bacteria, general bacteriology, hospital epidemiology and others.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 40+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Medical malpractice
Standards of care
Necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria)
Osteomyelitis (bone infections)
Outbreak prevention and management
Cellulitis (infection of the skin or soft tissue)
Surgical site infections (surgery related infections)
Travel related infections
Water borne infections
Endocarditis (heart valve infections)
Urinary tract infections
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Seven
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: April 2022
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Four
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Expert Witness, case reviews, record reviews, litigation consulting, report writing, consulting, site inspections (related to infection prevention/infection control practices)
Available Upon Request